Re: Silence

Not really, that was only in New England. The English immigrants to the southern colonies were anything but Puritan, their character was more about unbridled exploitation of natural resources and acquiring as much wealth as possible.

The French already had a major presence in Canada and the Louisiana territory, again their interests were purely commercial. And it was ultimately the French who liberated the American colonies.

That's not right, the US actively recruited them to develop the territories of North and South Dakota where their suicide rate soared beyond belief initially...

That occurred only later, from mid-19th to very early 20th century, and I'm not aware that they created any slums. The Bank of America was founded by an Italian immigrant. They were skilled labor and made a very early transition into the professions.

There was an active Jewish presence from the earliest days of the colonization, and some Jews made very significant contributions to financing the American revolution.

Now that is the group that created the worst slums extant in America, mostly unskilled labor and inordinately high incidence of alcoholism...

Again, they were first recruited to replace the unreliable, unproductive, and unskilled Irish labor force of the time...

Hispanics have always been here, they predate the British colonization. And if by Muslim you mean Arabs, there were plenty already here since early to mid-19th century, were mostly Christians, and another group with a early transition into the professional class, not sure they ever were a significant labor force...

The whole bunch of you make me sick...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Just like mutton, right?

Actually, this version sounds pretty good, with a Harp or two on the side:

In Boston, there's a municipal ordinance that all food must be white or shades of brown. This is borderline illegal:

John

And you keep hanging around, contributing nothing, but making yourself sick.

Brilliant.

John

I contribute to chaos, confusion, and the general state of disorder of things. What more do you want from me???

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Try harder. You're not even doing that to any serious effect. Try to be good at *something*

John

Okay, I choose to be good at *doing nothing*. How's that?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Drink the kool-aide.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Typical Bloggsy cop out. To do that right, you would have to go away, and you're not even smart enough to do that.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Eat the ant gel ;-)

...Jim Thompson

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

he's good at raising the noise level of the NG.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

He needs to kool-aid to wash it down. Of course Bloggsy would likely screw that up, too. :(

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"John Larkin" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

You forgot that the US deliberately killed about 20% of it's own male population deciding whether the US economy should be based on slavery, industrial production or both - the pre-civil war US was allowed to become multi-cultural: A tribe of slavers and a tribe of industrialists. The usual bloody mess followed.

If you get more Immigrants than "people who want to become American" you will go the same place again. Arguing over New Mexico or Texas or .

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Hell, Europe killed many times more, for millennia, for no good reason at all. Crusades. Inquisition. Trench warfare. Total War. The Holocaust. The US slavery problem was inherited from when the place was colonized by European slavers. The problem has been mostly fixed, but the damages linger.

I'm seeing the kids of the immigrants becoming regular Americans. And their parents are calling them "Tiffany" and "Anthony" and "Philip" even though they're Chinese.

John

Some recent MIT applicants that I interviewed...

Stephen Tu

Stephanie C. Tzeng

Joyce M. Tang

Jim Tai

Jason Y. Hsu

John Y. Zhu

...Jim Thompson

It seems it's common for even first-generation the Chinese take European given names when the immigrate. They (and future generations) keep their Chinese names, but use their European names in English.

--
Keith
Reply to

A lot of Chinese who have no intention of emigrating anywhere have English 'given' names along with their regular 3-character 3-syllable Chinese names. The children of immigrants seem to end up with the trendy and/or pretentious names. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

usual

Not everyone who immigrates here adopts an english name of course. I once worked with a programmer by name of Wai-Ing Yu, who liked to introduce himself "I am Yu" :-).

Reply to
Glen Walpert