Re: Linux distros

That's what yum is all about, package management. I think it's significantly better than apt-get.

You can do "sudo yum upgrade", which does the same thing as your sequence.

The thing I really like about yum is "whatprovides", i.e. "go look through the entire package database and find which one provides the obscure library that my poorly-packaged program needs." That's saved me a lot of time over the years.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

VMware Converter creates VM images from existing installations. Note that I have only used it on Windows and have *not* tried it on a Linux box, but I have been told it is pretty straightforward with most systems.

Whether it is worthwhile depends on the devices involved. Obviously there is no point if you depend on some bus card device that can't be transported to a newer host. But VMware has no problem with USB, serial, parallel and most SCSI devices - it even handles many of the partial SCSI implementations typical of printers and scanners.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

That's interesting. You and I seem to be having an interated failure to communicate on some of the other issues, though. It's hard enough future-proofing one's computing installations without having the tools decide that they won't cooperate.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have used Mandrake, Mandriva and am now on Mageia 3. The last one is the best implentation of the line-up I have ever used and it is running on my Acer Iconia 700 slate as well (formerly a Win8 machine for about 5 minutes after unwrapping).

OS aside, I suppose it would be more interesting to know what people use for development tools. Here it is currently Eagle CAD, Libre Office, Kwrite and VfX Forth. Looking at adding VariCAD for the mechanical work and a decent version management and change tracking system (that can manage all files).

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

On a sunny day (Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:36:01 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

mm is anybody stopping you from writing a version of fdisk that does stick to your concept of how partitions should be divided?

Linux has always been, at least for me, 'if it does not exist write it'. or sometimes 'I cannot be bothered to learn this ..i*t' so I will write my own app.

Old Dutch saying (and I am sure it is universal): One should not look a given horse in the mouth.

And 'I want Linux to be compatible with Microsoft ' is NOT on MY list of priorities.

As to 'future proof', not one new kernel I tried had the same bugs as the previous ones. And the driver API changes, video4linux, the DVB driver, OSS , Alsa, etc etc, changes every year or moon phase or sunspot, have not figured out when exactly .. Meaning you have to rewrite your apps every time in many cases, including all scripts (command line flags change...). Now YOU did chose Linux, so get used to it.

All that, mind you, I ONLY run Linux, except for an old win98 but that seems to not understand the new graphics card, so its screen is now so messed up... should delete it.. but has my scanner driver.... Not that I use the scanner, I use the camera... Anyways future proof what year did you have in mind? In the computer world 6 month is already an unknown,

6 years ? 60? Maybe we all have a chip implant by then, and only need to _think_ to partition our brains.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

VUTRAX PCB CAD, libre office, emacs, gcc-arm, gdb, openocd, git.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

In other words, if one has any complaints about Linux, it's proof positive that one is a lazy asshole. And here I thought that the communication failure was accidental.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:20:22 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

The communication failure was possibly the channel that told you Linux does everything, and you believed it.

BTW if you dont want some scripts to call some routine (program) (say fdisk), rename the orignal mv fdisk not_today_fdisk , make a small script called fdisk that returns OK (exit 0), and see what happens (if anything). I do things like that sometimes to 'stay in control', you can make it log to with 'echo'. Sometimes it helps, and sometimes it does not, modifying the source a bit does the same. Yes it is hard work, I spend a full day programming asm, it is hard work too, especially if you want zero errors. Maybe it will erase all your disks, YMMV ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have used openSuse for quite a while. If you want better EDA tools fedora may be best. *buntu make me uncomfortable about security. Maybe it is time to try Debian or a derivative again. I prefer package (dependency) manager style Linuxes currently, though i can and will at need install from source.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I've set up different VCS's for several of the projects I am working on, currently. I figured that was the only way I would see the *real* cost of using a particular VCS for an *entire* project (not just "coding"). Presently, I'm trying to build a server for Perforce (taking advantage of their "free" download) but the machine I had earmarked for that purpose only has about 700G spinning so I need to find a bigger server (hopefully in the next couple of weeks). I'm not keen on having to set up a system *twice* if I don't have to!

Reply to
Don Y

I have Debian in my home desktop and NAS, Sabayon in my personal laptop. I picked Sabayon for the laptop to get new stuff quickly since it's a rolling distribution. So small weekly updates instead of a huge one twice a year like Fedora or never like Mint...

For chip design work (at work) I've usually used RHEL or CentOS since that's what the tools officially support.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

I've been happily running PCLinuxOS for about 5 years. It's a fork of Mandriva. Back around the turn of the century, I played with Fedora for a while. Then went on a distro-hopping adventure, playing with SuSe, *buntu, Mint, Gentoo, FreeBSDs, Debians, Slackware, CentOS and many others. At this point, I was running a Dell XPS laptop, and hardware setup was a nightmare. After several years of Micro$oft indoctrination, I concluded that they were all half-baked and far too DIY. (This from someone who used to write video and printer-driver routines in Z80 Assembler)

Then, around 2007, I downloaded a PCLinuxOS live cd iso, did the install, and . Never looked back. Since then, I've installed various versions of PCLinuxOS on several friends computers (KDE, LXDE, and XFCE) who had malware and registry problems with windoze. Everybody Happy.

It's a rolling distribution, so do the weekly update and everything rolls along. I have yet to find a piece of software I want to run, that I can't run. Automatic hardware installation makes the Micro$oft model look like the dark ages.

Micro$oft: Would you like us to find the driver? Sorry, we can't find the driver. Can't find our ass with both hands. Retry/Fail/Ignore? PCLinuxOS: Just found your new device. Would you like to use it?

Back to the point, I run the last DOS versions of OrCAD-- SDT and PCB386+ trouble-free under DOSBOX in a 1024 window, LTSpice runs just fine under Wine. And so on with anything else I really care about, including Forte Agent.

And yes, Grub still lets me boot XP in case I feel like getting frustrated.

-Peter (Running PcLinuxOS FullMonty on an aging AMD 64 bit single core box with great satisfaction)

Reply to
Peter McMullin

No, I wasn't paid to write that :) In fact, I've donated.

-Peter

Reply to
Peter McMullin

I guess I have to agree with that. Android development stuff from Google and Steam from Valve is just installable the same way as anything else.

Maybe you would like Sabayon instead in the binary-distribution land? Gentoo based but software is prebuilt. Can still use emerge for stuff that isn't.

Reply to
Anssi Saari