Linux Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to Linux stuffs. I'm into Embedded Linux development, very recently. I prefer to start with a 386/486 board.

My requirement is ... I want to download the boot + application over the target. What are the methods available... a)Floppy? (will it accomodate Boot and Linux OS) b)Hard drive (i prefer using it like the flash memory) c)CD ROM? (May be each time i have to burn the new application & boot over it)

I prefer to use the RHL's (same as Host) 2.4.x kernel for my target board.(I'm installing RHL 8.0 in the PC)

After i install the Linux in my host PC,what all should i do for the embedded linux environment.

note: I heard from some Linux ppl that some system files need to be copied into the user's folder and the kernel has to be re-configured (for target) and rebuilt. But i donot have any clear picture of how i should do it.

Kindly help me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Google_User

Reply to
Google_User

OK

yes

yes

yes

d) Network boot and thus probably as a last option. z) Pingeon boot using rfc1149 to transfer the data (It will take some time)

Hmm... RH in embedded version?

has a distribution page that lists alternatives for embedded development, most distributors has some sort of trial kernel - generic x86.

Google around :-)

You will probably find

after some time. There are lots of interesting articles there.

There are also books written on the subject.

Yes, the RH workstation kernel is probably built for a Pentium III or something like that, it uses instructions not available on a 386/486. It will probably not even boot...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå