Minimum Linux

We plan to use 16 MB on board flash for both uboot, linux kernel, file system, our application, ... I would like to learn what could be the minimum size of the uboot, linux kernel, file system for powerpc MPC8260 platform?

Thanks.

Fatih Ozcan

Reply to
fatih ?zcan

I'm not sure about ppc but on arm I was able to get whole system including XWindow in about 12MB.

Reply to
Lukasz Zamel

XWindow in about 12MB.

U-Boot - depending on features - 128...256 kB. Linux - assuming a 2.4.x kernel - 550...700 kB. U-Boot and Linux always fit within less than 1 MB flah (except you go for 2.6).

Root filesystem based on busybox (like our SELF): approx 1.5MB.

Here are some real numbers for a MPC8260 system:

-> ls -lh /tftpboot/TQM8260/{u-boot.bin,uImage,uRamdisk}

-rw-r--r-- 1 wd users 127K Jul 10 2003 /tftpboot/TQM8260/u-boot.bin

-rw-r--r-- 1 wd users 580K Dec 16 2002 /tftpboot/TQM8260/uImage

-rw-r--r-- 5 wd users 1.3M Dec 6 2002 /tftpboot/TQM8260/uRamdisk

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
                                                    - Albert Einstein
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk

"fatih ?zcan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

I managed to get a whole system on a 4MB flash (without X though). It runs with 16MB RAM (8MB ramdisk and 8MB memory) for a network application. It has a tiny web-server, ftp and telnet facilities.

This only describes how small Linux can be, but it all depends on your application and what it needs.

Frank

Reply to
FD