Fugi hi tech built in obsolescence.

Wife buys a Fuji S1500 camera 2.5 years ago, warranty 2 years. It began suffering faults a few weeks ago, though it is lightly used and well cared for. There is apparently no service available. It cost her ~$250 => $100/year.

I did a minor examination of this camera and others and concluded, a "Hi-tech self destruct" internal IC times out and causes the fault(s) in succession.

Camera companies (Fugi is Jap but Chink made) can't make $ on film now, so they can only make $ selling camera's. Naturally, a camera is easily built to last 10-20 years, but the profit margin dives, and there is NO LAW against self destruction circuitry, it's buyer beware.

I haven't - as yet - determined the self destruct algorithm, or how to reset the timer back to zero.

Has anyone else figured that out yet? Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Might be that it's part of Agenda 21. George Soros might even be involved, somehow.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

People who believe in conspiracy theories overrate the ability of evil to cooperate.

It's more likely that the camera is just designed with connectors, switches, and possibly displays, that don't last all that long.

We've got a Canon that's well over four years old (I can't remember how much longer than four years, but we bought it before the economic shit hit the social fan).

So -- buy a camera with a decent name behind it, that's not the cheapest one out there for its features, and cross your fingers.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

What faults?

How did you determine that?

My Fuji S5200 is a lot older that that (the 5200 was released about

2005) and works great. Used 5200's are available on Amazon and Ebay, so they apparently keep working.

Fuji wouldn't dare sell a camera that would fail on purpose. Who would buy another Fuji camera?

Check the removable flash chip. Many of them are cheap and flakey.

 Click to see the full signature

This is Ken S. Tucker - we probably need to remind him to try a new battery, too.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

LOL!!!

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

So what you're saying is that Fugi is incompetent, yet having used their products for >30 years I 'would have' recommended them until recently...things change.

Conspiracy? Where on Earth is mentioned any criminal activity? Built in obsolescence is SOP.

USB port stopped working 1st, then we temperature cycled gently, and other faults occurred during re-testing.

How much did your "Canon" cost ya? May get them instead. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Not us, this is not just our experience, and it's not just Fugi, Our survey indicates self destruct is common in many electronic appliances. Incidentally my company builds for maximum quality.

Doesn't have nor need one. Regards Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

1st was the USB port went dead, then LCD went dead after testing.

Balance of Probability, via elimination of other causes. Regards Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Entirely possible. I bought a Olympus film SLR that lasted a mere 12 mos, the metal shutters rusting two wks after the warrantee ran out.

nb

--
"Do you recognize me?  No!
...cuz I don't work here"
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
notbob

It is not Dr. Ken S. Tucker, it's Sloman puppet socking me.

Sloman wouldn't know it has 4 AA battery's. The 4 were at 1.3V, replaced with 1.6V, the 2nd or 3rd set. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Built in obsolescence is worth $billions on the bottom line. Of course some think the nice Japs and Chinks wouldn't want to LEGALLY profit from selling junk to us good Westerners. (((NOT))). Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

It came with gigabytes of internal memory?

 Click to see the full signature

"Jap" and "Chink" are gross racist insults. Since you don't like those people, buy a nice American made camera next time.

We all know how much more reliable American cars are, compared to Japanese ones.

 Click to see the full signature

I don't own a camera. My wife ownss several, none of them Fuji - her favourite is an Olympus, which wouldn't have room for an AA cell, let alone four of them, and in fact runs off something rechargeable, which hasn't needed replacement yet.

So you had to be reminded to test and replace them?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Is there any oxygen in your universe?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No they're not, anymore than calling me a canut whitey, hang you're fig leaves on underage school girls.

Yank stuff is usually the best.

Yanks got burned with built in obsolescence selling compact cars, but our Chrysler (Dodge Grand Caravan) is excellent. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Have you ever trouble shot an advanced system? Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Internal memory = 23 Mb, we video rocket firings at 640x480 for ~28secs, worked ok on those occasions. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Good point Mike, thanks for the heads up. Regards Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker