Making Contact with a AAA Cell

Ever needed to attach wires to a AAA cell? Sure you can get a gater clip on the positive but not the negative. But maybe a really big gater clip would work..But lets say there isn't one.

Here's the idea.. Use magnets.. :P Maybe it's an old trick but I haven't read about it yet or seen anyone do it...

I have plated magnets. I was able to solder wires to the magnets..

Here's the arrangement..

------wire----[magnet][AAA battery][magnet]---wire----

Anybody done this before?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Actually the trick almost sounds obvious but, no, I never thought of doing that before

I rip the plastic battery holder clips off other things so I can work on my projects or I use rubber bands ...

D from BC wrote:

Reply to
Claude Desjardins

Of course, someone has....

:)

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Reply to
Ian

Impressive! Neodymium, no less...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Oh bummer :( I thought I was on to something..

For fun I looked at the FAQ tab.. There's nothing.. I'd find it funny if there were FAQs asking if the item is patented :P D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

oooh look at these! And off to ebay I go :D

Reply to
Claude Desjardins

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No. I use a holder.

If I need a "permanent" 1.5v alkaline cell (or set thereof), I use AA anyways.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Soldering is a solution:

- Use a file - make bare the patches that will receive the solder,

- Use a *really* good soldering iron with heavy tip (Weller or such)

- Set Temp control to max (I said "good iron!")

- Solder *really quick* - i.e. get good flow and adhesion in less than a second.

If done the wrong way the cell will be distroyed obviously.

I have done this e.g. to repair a Philips rechargeable shaver, replacing a run down NiMH AA cell with a normal off-the-shelf NiMH AA.

--
 - René
Reply to

On late-nite TeeVee, I sometimes see an ad for a pair of tiny supermagnets that hook onto necklaces and stuff, so you can take the two ends, just reach around and get them close, and they snap together. Works for bracelets too, and maybe ladies' watches - they didn't say how strong the pull was, but an ordinary piece of jewelry apparently doesn't just fall off.

As far as batteries, back in the days of zinc-carbon, we just soldered to them, or bought the dry cells with the thumnuts or Fahnestock clips. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The surface is probably nickel, which can be soldered with acid flux; you'll need to wash the joints thoroughly, of course. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yup. A couple of years ago I made an LED flashlight using a single cell & magnets for the contacts. I'll post a picture on abse.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Silver filled chip bonding epoxy.

It's only several hundred dollars per kit, and takes days to cure without elevated temperatures.

You could "solder" together an entire circuit with it though.

A quick brazing operation works too. Can't keep the heat on very long though.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored