Re: Compuserve closing, need to relocate website

All I need is basic service without pop-up adds, shopping carts,

> blogs, and other stuff. All I want to do is present a simple hobby > electronics website of text files, gif images, a few Java Scripts, > and links to other places. > > It was recommended to obtain and register a domain name such as > "BowdensHobbyCircuits.com" so the site can be moved in the future > without upsetting external links. As it is, all the external links > pointing to the page at Compuserve will be broken on June 30. > Probabaly not much I can do about that other than sending emails > requesting a change of address. > > Anyway, I'm interested in a reliable webhosting service at reasonable > rates, that won't go out of business for a few years. > > Any suggestions?

Never can tell about the last part, but for $35/year (including the domain registration, though there are very slightly cheaper domain registration services - e.g. godaddy) the "Tiny" package at

does nicely, and has upgrade paths available if you ever need it. My old provider's email filtering went nuts after they reorganized a few things and I finally gave up on them. Went from $196/year to $35/year, and so long as I pay the bill my email address & website should never have to change, even if the service provider ever does (but I am quite happy with them so far.)

If I'd had my thinking cap on when I set it up, I'd have paid for 5 year registration instead of one - still chump change, less frequent hassle with it. I'll try that when I renew the name.

Ecnerwal

While I don't (yet) have 200, like Jim I do have multiple addresses which help sort things, addresses for my wife as well, and all that stuff - all for just over $2/month, or just under $3 if you count the domain registration (which does not need to be through them - it was just convenient and not that much more expensive). The company offers the various things you don't need, some for free, some for extra money, but works fine for basic straightforward html websites, too.

I gave it a year for transition, so one of these days I'll have to change my obfusticated mail address here, which is still my old provider. That will no doubt be yet another account.

Ecnerwal

On a sunny day (Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:44:23 -0400) it happened Ecnerwal wrote in :

Multiple email addresses is great. When I order something online, and they need me to register with an email address, then I just create one for that company. When spam starts coming in, I delete that email address, and then also know who sold my data :-) You'd be surpised who do sell your data, some very very big ones.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje