radio kit

I lived in the late 1980's in Boston for a while and expected to have to frequently use the hue control in NTSC receivers. Receivers built for PAL did not have a hue control.

At least in cable-TV in Boston, I never used the hue control, but of course the situation might have been different in some mid-West states in the 1960's, when the NTSC color carrier phase was badly distorted by multiple microwave links.

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:37:35 -0500) it happened "John Smith" wrote in :

Yes, tetelext, I wrote several applications for that,. also used it to add Dutch subtitles to VHS tapes for English productions using the SAA4246 teletext chip,

more recently as HUD display for my drone (ground side), this with the SAA5361 (has build in page memory):

Some real teletext (ceefax) for on the PC, from when we still had analog TV:

It is a click on a number and go there interface, use it everyday in its digital incarnation, but AFAIK BBC has no longer functional teletext, All German and Dutch station do though. CNN (satellite) has dropped it too. Wrote a version for digital TV, sat TV teletext decoder (same interface) here, as jpvtx:
I also have a version that grabs the financial market option values from the Dutch teletext wrote it when I was more into option trading... That is an other story altogether:
that is very very old, should really .. .people picked up on that :-)

That is still a lot of money. I do not really want to do that, probably cannot even do that, no real experience with MS windows.... I just tell people to learn Unix.... Install some Unix, Linux. Fixed the occasional power supply for somebody, hardware is OK, no problem.

I just write the html by hand, no fancy Java on my site except for youtube inline code for little videos I made. I have PostgressSQL, but have not used it in ages, it was also constantly attacked, attacked on whatsitcalled, the GUI interface, cannot even remember. My DVDs are now listed in a text file, Linux 'grep' is your friend, faster, simpler, better, J.L. is right about that, big databeasts?? suck, at least for the amount of stuff I have, and that is several terabytes, it makes thing more difficult.

But... things are sold, like C++ compilers, Oracle, what not... people buy it and get stuck, support is payed for, it is not really honest, but based on clueless customers. C++ is a crime against humanity. I have too little experience with big databeasts,, but those could be a crime too. And I mean look at that US health-scare fiasco, some kids build a much better website for peanuts in their free time...

Its late... Very late.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ahh, been there done that during my school days ...

Fortunately I figured it out how to kill the un-wanted station with the Cv & ferrite-coil from old AM radio, left only the interest station talking

:-)))

Reply to
ccon67

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

-- Bob Dylan

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:53:22 +0200) it happened snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in :

I am a bit rusty on NTSC, but IIRC they [at some point in time] added a phase correction signal in the vertical interval.

Video tape recording (quadruplex), differential gain, or basically anything, including the operators, could screw up the color phase.

What was bad was Sony, the KV1810? series color TVs for Europe were really NTSC receivers, had a hue control, and no delay line. Sony saved some cents that way by not having to pay for the PAL patent and delay line. It had 3 color demodulators, one for red, green, and blue, no color matrix either IIRC. They sold a lot of that inferior shit of them because of the 'trinitron' tube, that was brighter because it did not have the normal shadow mask, but slots, vertical stripes, and because of that was microphonic as h*|| too.. (feeble construction). That is the same company that used soft iron as collector in the small DC motors in their walkmans, with steel springs as brushes, motors lasted about 100 hours or less, had one. People finally noticed their quality and downhill that company went ever since.

KV1810 also had silicon _switches_ in the power supply and H deflection stage that stayed on if there was a dry joint, resulting in a dead short of the mains. (interrupted off signal). Sony's UK soldering was really really bad. I do not know if Sony ever used real PAL later... KV2000?? Not I think. ...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 16:48:26 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

I actually always liekd his musioc, have a lot of that Mr Tambourine man, and, well:

panteltje12: ~ # locate -i dylan /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/live /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/live/09_-_girl_from_the_north_country.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/08-it_s_alright__ma_i_m_only_bleeding_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/01-blowin__in_the_wind_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/05-bob_dylan_s_blues_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/09-oxford_town_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/03-masters_of_war_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/02-girl_from_the_north_country_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/06-a_hard_rain_s_a-gonna_fall_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/07-don_t_think_twice__it_s_all_right_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/04-down_the_highway_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/13-i_shall_be_free_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/08-bob_dylan_s_dream_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/11-corrina__corrina_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/10-talking_world_war_iii_blues_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/freewheeling/12-honey__just_allow_me_one_more_chance_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/06-gates_of_eden_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/traveling_wilburys /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/traveling_wilburys/08_-_margarita.prev.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/13-don_t_think_twice__it_s_all_right_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/05-like_a_rolling_stone_320_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/01-the_times_they_are_a-changin__192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/new_morning /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/new_morning/08-mr_tambourine_man_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/new_morning/12-father_of_night_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/new_morning/02-day_of_the_locusts_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/new_morning/01-if_not_for_you_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/new_morning/07-new_morning_192_lame_cbr.mp3 /mnt/sda2/audio/other/bob_dylan/11-a_hard_rain_s_a-gonna_fall_192_lame_cbr.mp3

:-) Those are my favorites... Its a hard rain... new morning (album) I like best. 'lame' is the name of the mp3 encoder software used.

Think I had most of his LPs.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

KV1320, nice picture on an early trinitron tube. Shame about the hue control.

Yes I can also remember the ones with the expensive GTO devices.

Sony did make real PAL sets later but by then they could probably accept NTSC and SECAM too.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

I also keep text file lists for some things. But databases can be useful. I don't know exactly what Digikey use but it isn't likely to be a text file.

If you want to find out more about what databases can do, point this free tool at an SQL server.

I use it on Windows but the download page indicates a way to get it on linux.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

--
When the music's over
turn out the lights.

--Jim Morrison
Reply to
John Fields

Ha., light weight. I have a 1931 radio here to get up and running for some one.. Philco 90 chassis.. :))

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I'll take tube stuff for repair but I don't see much from the 1930s. :) I did an Epiphone Pacemaker EA-50 in October. The replacement 22uF 450V electrolytics were tiny compared with the originals.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

If you are interested i could give a synopsis of the changes, including lengthening the color burst to VITS and VIR.

Reply to
josephkk

IIRC, they could not get the PAL license at all (or at least for a realistic price), good old protectionism :-).

Was that KV1810 an 18" TV ? IIRC, the Japanese manufacturers were somehow prohibited to sell big models in Europe.

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 18:03:12 -0500) it happened "John Smith" wrote in :

Yea, I know what data-beasts can do, and I also got sick of entering records.

Once you know 'locate' and 'grep' you can search in terabytes at lightspeed on Linux. That GUI interface I forgot its name was pgAdmin.. [1] Do people realize the Unix file system IS already a database?

Just use locate: # locate -i saa5246 | grep -i pdf /root/download/saa5246.pdf

Then do: xpdf /root/download/saa5246.pdf to view it.

I can find any chip I even know part of the number of in a flash on my system, even if those partitions are not mounted at that time.

Just run 'updatedb' every so many days, it actually stands for 'update database'. the rest is sales talk. If you want a web interface some cgi or php lines will do, and if you want limited access use a special partition or sever. Yes it can work over the network too.

I knew this guy, he worked in my shop as driver, later he got a job at Oracle, we met again many many years later, working on some project I wrote code for and designed hardware for, He: "Hey is that a full screen editor you are using?" (I was using 'joe'). Made me wonder how many people still use 'vim' or 'ed' .... Poor guys will need lots of support. LOL :-) Now and that was in THIS century.

[1] several attacks a day to get to it on my website, using standard directory path, of course I do NOT keep things in standard directories exactly for that reason... But a huge waste of time,
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:15:52 -0800) it happened josephkk wrote in :

Please do.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:16:50 +0200) it happened snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in :

Do not remember exact size, but those were indeed rather smallish.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Then write a script to process and enter stuff for you.

I can also use a database to find any chip I want in a flash. I just put the part number into Google :)

Google moved to MariaDB so as not to be dependent on Oracle.

We could probably go on about why databases are in widespread use and why linux isn't on every desktop but I think it's probably best not to.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

Please do. "

They pretty much put in one line of a color bar pattern and one line of multiburst.

Intedrestingly, the TVs that had the circuitry to use the VITS or VIR for a reference also had a "VIR hue" control. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose ?

Later they added a signal for a ghost canceller which was an addon for some TVs that had the loop in/out jacks for it, however the actual ghost canmceller unit has never been seen, at least by me.

Reply to
jurb6006

You are right of course. thgere is alot more in there than I mentioned. I w as trying to keep it simple. The ghost canceller came alot later and wasn't related to correcting problems on the microwave transmissions. That was fo r multipath.

There used to be a page wityh specifics, I mean like "line 23" and so forth . I remember there was also a signal to indicate the beginning of a commerc ial break. I don't know if it was used by those devices that claimed to rem ove the commercials. All I know is I saw it. at the shop I always had an un derscanned monitor for a coupe of reasons. Later the came in hand for sttin g the PG shifters in VCRs. you needed a sharp image of course, but it wasn' t hard to count the lines up from the bottom.

When the closed caption came out I remember it bothered some sets. Some man ufacturers had a mod to lengthen the vertical blanking pulse. They could ge nerally count on enough overscan but in some cases the white bars of data w ould reflect off the top of the CRT envelope. The closed caption informatio n was at the very end of the blanking interval.

There was more to the BTSC (stereo) audio signal as well. Of course there w as SAP, but there was another carrier even higher called IIRC, PRO.

I have absolutely no idea where they put the TV guide/listings information. I never had a need to look into it, in fact now that I think of it....

I am full of useless information, but not all of it. LOL, glad I didn't was te my time more...

Reply to
jurb6006

states

OK i am validating my stuff as i write it.

Early on it developed the B&W (grayscale) and disbanded.

It was reconstituted in 1950 to do color TV.

1954 the first national color broadcast was the Touyrnament of Roses Parade, January 1st.

Color burst started a 8 cycles of chroma carrier on the horizontal back porch (the black interval after the H-sync pulse).

Around 1969 they changed the colors of the phosphors to improve reproduction of saturated colors.

In the early 1970s VITS began to appear. It seems to contain a few lines to the different types from the SMPTE Color bars signal.

It was about this time that they lengthened the color burst from 8 cycles to 9 cycles.

In the 1980s a host of vertical blanking interval (VBI) signals were added, these include Vertical integrated reference (VIR), which was 3 luminance levels (white, mid scale gray, and black) with the same phase as color burst.

Quita a bit of things have and some still are transmitted on line 10 to

22 of VBI. These include GCR (ghost reduction), teletext, closed captioning, V-Chip data, and TV Guide On Screen.

Thank you for your time.

?-)

Much of this came from the Wikipedia article on NTSC, with some references checked.

Reply to
josephkk