radio kit

I'm an in school mentor for a young guy and it's clear that he would be very keen on building this:

Unfortunately they won't ship it to Canada (I've emailed).

Does anyone know of anything similar I can obtain in Canada?

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:54:28 -0500) it happened "John Smith" wrote in :

ebay has thw same kit from thw US:

ebay item 360493167783

email the seller if he wants to ship to US

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ship it to me, and I'll ship it to Canada.

 Click to see the full signature

Ebay here.

They will ship to CA.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Thanks Jan, John and Tom.

I'm now trying to get it from ebay and will let you know how that works out.

Reply to
John Smith

Amazon Canada has it covered:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That kit does not get very good reviews, sounds like a p.o.s., find another kit.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Radio Shack used to carry these off an on; talk to the manager of the store if you do not see it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks for the help. I got it ordered from Ebay but now I'm wondering how it works.

From the picture it looks like it uses all of two transistors.

I built receivers myself in my school days (TRF/Regenerative) but only for AM. The sound quality was good (when I fed it into the amplifier in my tape recorder) but it wasn't very selective (hard to get a single station without interference from another).

I built my first FM tuner in the 70s but Google TBA750 for the chip it needed. Not to mention the front end (down converter to 10.7 MHz)

I guess I'll find out more when the kit arrives (Jan 28 earliest) but how do you make an AM/FM receiver out of just two transistors?

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

That may be true but building it will be fun even if it turns out to be a p.o.s

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

There's nothing to build, it's for a 5yo. The components get inserted into those spring looking things, it's about as minimal as it gets for a kit. Looks like something you might find inside a cereal box.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Ok but I don't want to take a soldering iron into the school so what do you suggest?

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

I suggest that you simply ignore bloggs. I have yet to see it contribute anything of value to this newsgroup.

Good luck with your project. I also enjoy helping youngsters satisfy their curiosity about the natural sciences.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

I guess a soldering gun would be right out.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

This coming from an anonymous eternal-september troll who has nothing to say about electronics. You're welcome to prove me wrong, link us to a post where you contributed /anything/ on topic about electronics. Go away and stay away.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

A soldering anything might get me sued for millions if little johnny burns his fingers.

When I started using a soldering iron myself (at home) the first thing I did was to forget I'd left it on. I discovered the hole in the living room carpet the following day and quickly cut the burned fibers out in such a way that it was hard to notice, from a distance, that anything had happened. Mom & Dad never noticed.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

This one costs less, works much better, and the reviews are good, but it requires soldering:

If the performance of the final product is bad, it's a worse experience than no kit at all.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I think I already saw that but discounted it because it requires soldering.

Soldering is not a problem for me but smoke detectors in schools can be very sensitive and fire incidents in schools can be blown out of proportion.

I'm not sure I agree. Most of the fun is in putting it together. If you can hear something through the earpiece then it was a success, even if it's just direct rectification of the local AM transmitter.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

ou

I would suggest that you teach the kid to solder. If you supervise him , i t should not be at all dangerous. Let the school know in advance, so there are no complaints if the smoke detector goes off. Maybe they have a room that is better to use than some other rooms.

If you teach the kid to solder, he will have a lot more pride in the comple ted project.

I am planning to teach my granddaughter to solder. Just picked up some cop per roof flashing so she can make jewelry. Will probably have to use a pro pane torch.

I was taught soldering when I was in about the third grade. Built a one tu be super regen. receiver that year out of the " First Radio Book for Boys " .

I would suggest getting a double electrical box and putting a lamp dimmer on one side wired to control a receptacle on the other side. That way you can keep the soldering iron warm and turn up the heat when actually solde ring. I have one and use it so the iron tips do not get dirty.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

you should be ok soldering in one of the science lab, or cooking rooms. low-level smoke is expected there.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts