PSRR of CMOS inverter

How to calculate the PSRR for a CMOS inverter? I'm struggling a bit because I do not get meaningful result values.

Let explain what I have. I have the following transistor parameters from a simulation result.

High-side PMOS: rds2 = 11.67k gm2 = 879.4 uS

Low-side NMOS: rds1= 20.35k gm1 = 1.659 mS

With that I want to calculate the PSRR. I created the small signal equivalent as shown in the image:

With that I calculate the PSRR:

PSRR = dVout / dVdd

For doing that I took Kirchhoff's law.

dVout = UR1 = IR1 * R1

IR2 - IR1 - gm2 * Vgs2

In small signal equivalent Vgs2 is dVDD.

IR1 = IR2 - gm2 * dVdd

IR2 = (dVdd - UR1) / R2 IR2 = (dVdd - dVout) / R2

This can be inserted in the equation before:

dVout = ((dVdd - dVout) / R2 - gm2 * dVdd) * R1

dVout/dVdd = (R1/R2 - gm2 * R1) / (1 + R1/R2)

Inserting now the number values from above unfortunately yields a negative result which can't be true.

PSSR = -5.8859

Can somebody please help me to do it the right way?

Thanks in advance! Martin

Reply to
Martin Gruber

Why can't that be true? It's an inverter with gain, so if dVdd produces something which could be considered a positive voltage excursion at the input, then you should get a negative excursion at the output.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

I don't know quite _why_ one would want to calculate PSRR for an inverter, but perhaps look at it this way... with input voltage fixed (relative to ground), raising VDD applies more gate drive to the PMOS while the NMOS device would stay with constant drive... so, for an UNBUFFERED inverter one would expect _positive_ gain from VDD to the output.

For a _buffered_ inverter it could be anyone's guess... lots of gain and who knows what size-staggering was used.... so I could expect positive and negative values dependent of the designer's whims and the input voltage. ...Jim Thompson