Problems reported with landing gear, brakes, reversers, and shock absorbers

Crossed the runway threshold for landing at 210MPH- that's ripping fast for a borderline overweight A320-200 with no brakes, reversers or shocks!

Just another very near disaster that happens ALL THE TIME in the airline industry.

There's no telling how much damage was incurred. They can only hope it's detectable in inspection.

Fred Bloggs

mandag den 14. juni 2021 kl. 23.22.26 UTC+2 skrev Fred Bloggs:

so they had a massive mechanical issue and still no one was hurt, the systems seem work to as intended

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

"As of December 31, 2020, the plane had flown 81,103 hours over 36,075 flight cycles. Before flying for Delta Air Lines, the narrowbody Airbus flew for Northwest Airlines between 1993 and 2008."

Beat-ass plane, Delta is famous for flying aging rust-buckets. I remember picking up a buddy from Logan in the early 2000s coming in from Florida on a three-jet 727 bucket it was probably built years before I was born, flaking paint around the rivets and the cockpit windows had a green tint like a GM city bus from the 60s.

Reply to
bitrex

Really- you're the aeronautical safety engineer now are you? Since he didn't dump any fuel, the plane was heavy, which among other things lowers the safe landing landing speed required to prevent breaking something- little things like total landing gear collapse during the landing or airframe deformation. He was landing at about 60MPH faster than rated, almost certainly exceeding the maximum allowable descent rate. He was only about 30MPH under the speed at which the A320 disallows/prevents extending the landing gear to avoid damage to the gears due to drag. And if he couldn't fully retract his landing gears, he had no business pushing it to 350 kts. Something more was seriously wrong that he couldn't shed all that speed before he landed, he had other stuff going on not mentioned in the article. The incident was a near miss.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

FAA doesn't seem to publicize the emergency landing incidents that occur EVERY SINGLE DAY. When they declare an emergency, it means the aircraft needs to be set down immediately, the controllers give them high priority clearance to land and get emergency fire and medical in place out on the runway. You might not think it's a big deal, but the airport most certainly thinks it's a big deal.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The pilots can be a weak link too. You never know when one might become suicidal or delusional, or maybe he can't fly the plane and falsified his certificate, or maybe he failed simulator testing and the airline has him on probation. There are pilots of foreign origin out there who couldn't fly a kite.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

It's never happened to me, and I don't know anyone who died in a plane crash. But worry if you enjoy it.

Reply to
jlarkin

Death from slipping in the shower is likely more probable by the statistics, but I don't particularly enjoy air travel any more because of it.

For many years Delta ran the only nonstop Boston -> Salt Lake City service, on a 767 which was nice, I have family out there so do that route fairly regularly. JetBlue and Delta both run A320s on that route now which is not so nice.

Amtrak is a very pleasant way to make that trip if you have a spare three days, I've done it a couple times and was worth the price. Amtrak is running sleeping car service from Boston to NYC and Washington again, it gets into NYC at a somewhat inconvenient hour (3 AM) but I think it might be my preferred way to get to DC.

If high-speed rail ever expands outside the Northeast hopefully real business-class seating with lie-flat seats like on airlines becomes a feature, I'm somewhat surprised Amtrak hasn't moved on that already but they can be really stodgy. It was only in the 21st century whomever designs their sleeping cars realized you don't need to put a toilet in every compartment right next to the bed and 21st century American customers actually find this kinda gross/weird.

Reply to
bitrex

I wonder if that was actually a legacy of Jim Crow when Pullman sold the same sleeping car designs to railroads in both the North and South and it was the best solution to "what do we do about segregated lavatories", I don't think toilets in every room was common in Europe.

Reply to
bitrex

It must be terrible to live terrified of everything.

Unless you enjoy it.

Reply to
jlarkin

So walk everywhere, unless you are worried about planes dropping out of the sky and hitting you.

Folks are aware of the risk of pilot error, and have been for a long time.

I don't like flying (but do), because I am not in control. It is irrational because the pilots and the process is much safer than if I was at the controls (zero flying experience), but that is my lizard brain trying to take over.

Your lizard brain seems to be winning, tell it to take a nap...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

are you?

an A320 cannot dump fuel, it doesn't need to, max takeoff and landing weight is close enough and overweight landing is allowed if needed, the air frame just have to be inspected afterwards

the problem that caused all the other issues might have prevented him from extending the flaps so he needed to do a no flaps landing which has to be at a higher speed

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Which is exactly what the video link explained, he had no flaps nor engine reversing capability. And still landed safely.

Everything worked as it should. And the pilot and air crew were trained to handle emergency problems and did everything properly.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Where do they say he had no flaps? That would explain the excessive landing speed since he would need speed to maintain adequate lift without flaps.

Landing significantly overspeed is not a safe landing.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The term overweight sort of gives away that it overstresses the aircraft especially at overspeed. And the idea that they "just" need to inspect the airframe afterwards shows you have no clue. Delta parked that jet, and it will probably stay parked for a while.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They had three major exceedances. The flight crew was sweating bullets, and the airport packed the taxiways with emergency personnel and equipment. Apparently the people who actually know how things can go wrong do not share your confidence that the system will work as it should.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

It's a funicular so they need both cars. They should have loaded the defective car with some token weight simulating a few passengers and only use the functional car for passengers until the new brake parts came in.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

what part didn't work as it should? they had a major malfunction, the pilots followed the checklists and got the plane on the ground, on the ground emergency personnel and equipment ready to receive them