"Future safing" (is that a verb?) analog designs

I'm heading out for a long-postponed offsite with colleagues (and dreading the travel aspect even more than usual!).

The "issue" I'll be bringing to discuss is design practices to make largely analog designs "future safe" -- to guard against component offerings going obsolete, etc. (I need at least a 10 year window of continued availability).

Digital designs can usually be "refreshed" with relative ease. Often considerably easier than the original design effort!

And, if you are prudent, software ports to new platforms and architectures can similarly be straightforward.

SOME "analog" designs can be easy to "redo" -- but usually only ones that have black-box type interfaces: power supplies, converters, appliances with fixed functionality, etc. A lot of an analog design's performance is tied up in the actual implementation -- and, if not careful, you can slip backwards with the next turn of the crank (a lot harder to do that with digital/software designs).

I don't see anyway to pick devices for longterm availability other than settling for run-of-the-mill devices that have work-alikes available from other vendors. Anything bleeding edge is bound to lead to issues down the road (availability, support, etc.)

So, aim for banal designs? Do lifetime buys of the components that you're most exposed to? Or, just resign yourself to redesigning when the problem manifests (and hope it's someone else's problem, then)?

[design of interest is an SDR; a COTS purchase would lead to vulnerability for the entire design!]

I will try to check back but not sure how easy that will be while traveling...

Reply to
Don Y

Depends. What's in it?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Who has about 30k BF862s and CPH3910s on the shelf, among other things such as a reel or two each of BFG31 and BFT92 5-GHz PNPs, BFT25A small fast NPNs, quantities various pHEMTs and SiGe:C NPNs, and so forth.)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There's a fair bit of popcorn parts that I'm not worried about (discretes, etc.).

But, most of the designs I've explored rely on high levels of integration to bridge the analog-digital divide. Usually, a digital tuner: high speed A/DC's (typ 60MSPS @ 12-16b), AGC, digital filters, digital VGAs, etc. It's not just "active" but actually can be seen as a hard-wired DSP (e.g., look at the A/DC outputs and digitally adjust the gain of the VGA to maximize dynamic range).

While different offerings may provide similar functionality, they are usually completely different beasts.

I can opt for a less integrated approach ("more banal") but that increases real estate (I am really constrained on space) and the number of such potential component dependencies. It's a question of which approach has the potential to screw one the least! :-/

Once things are in the digital domain, I can easily accommodate changes. But, getting to that point is the problem (in the long term)

One of my buddies is the "goto RF guy" so I may just drop this in his lap (he owes me favors). But, I'd like to be able to intelligently argue with any initial ideas he presents (so he doesn't head down a blind alley)

So you've gone for "stockpile everything that you think you might need that you think might become hard to acquire..." I'd like not to do that as I don't intend to build the damn things (so why should I incur the costs of ensuring parts remain available?)

[Now, lets see if I can actually SEND this... :< ]
Reply to
Don Y

Depending on what they are, they might be the hardest to replace. See "5 GHz PNP" below.

Depends a lot on who makes them. If it's Maxim or NXP, yer scrooed.

<snip>

No, just the ones that offer unique capabilities, enable a wide range of design space, and are cheap enough to take a flyer on.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs