Selling gear with non-standard plugs

What are the formal requirements on local suppliers of imported electrical devices, in terms of providing something that can be plugged into a standard GPO? Must the gear be fitted with a native Australian standard 3-pin plug? Is it OK to leave the foreign plug there, and include an adaptor in the box? Or is just providing the foreign plug OK?

Reply to
Bruce Varley

"Bruce Varley"

** All depends if the item is on the "prescribed" list or not.

** Nope.

It can have an IEC inlet, for example.

** No rules exist for non-prescribed items - however AC plug adaptors are one example.

Of course, consumer law requires that any appliance be usable and safe to use with 240V power.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Broadly what are Prescribed Items?

It is 7 years now since 3 pin plugs had to have insulated pins and it is 7 years (and More I think) since Domestic Stuff had to come with a molded 3 pin plug (2pin if Double insulated) but I do not know the limits of the application of these rules.

--
John G
Reply to

** Oops, I intended to post this link:

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Anecdotal - I've purchased PCs that came with cheap amplified speakers. The pwr plug on the cord was foreign (two round pins). They were supplied with a cheap & nasty adapter.

I threw the lot in the bin.

Reply to
Dennis

Your so brutal Dennis :-)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Thank you. :)

Reply to
Dennis

This section is interesting.......sorry but I couldn't resist........

  1. Bread Toaster

An electrical appliance which -

(a) is a household type; and

(b) is for toasting bread or similar foods.

Class Specification: AS/NZS 60335.2.9

Reply to
yaputya