Position Encoding.

On a sunny day (Mon, 2 Jan 2012 18:49:17 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

Well it did cheer you up I hope. if all else fails a bit of joking. As to 'depressions' there are 2 things here.

I recently did read an article about some guy turning into a depressed disaster because he used some specific medicine against his heart problem. Do you use such a medication, or have recently move to a new one? Check it out on internet (side effects, is it even legal everywhere). And 2, happiness is an internal process, in a not drugged or other wise dysfunctional human being it is that thing in your life you should be paying attention to, not your PhD paper. Maybe some meditation would help you get back to basics. There is the issue of efficiency too: Your efficiency in percent is 100 x happy_days / days_lived. This made me wonder about that guy in that article, who tried to stretch his life to make it long and miserable, while he did have a bit shorter and happy at his disposal. Anyways my ideas are a bit of mainstream, but the mainstream is highly dysfunctional.

What set a big alarm with me is that you did not even byte on global cooling.

Jan Panteltje

Thanks for the corroboration, Ed. :-)
Reply to
John Fields

^^^^^^^

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm supposed to worry? You clearly didn't have any trouble following what I was saying.

And "recognise" is the usual spelling in Australia - where I grew up - and the U.K., where I worked for 22 years.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

He is actually one of the most level headed posters here.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

--
Not at all.

I opined that such a beastie was available and went ahead with the
design.

Turns out I was right, and your inability to find one reflects badly
on your search skills, not on my credibility.
Reply to
John Fields

On Jan 3, 4:47=A0am, ehsjr wrote:

Opening the .asc file with Notepad I can find

TEXT -768 1176 Left 2 !.tran 0 150u 50u startup

SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value 4700K

which don't show up in what I posted, which is weird.

Here's the cut-and-paste from Notepad (as opposed to Wordpad, which seems to be what I used last time)

Version 4 SHEET 1 2904 1276 WIRE -576 576 -736 576 WIRE -112 576 -576 576 WIRE -576 608 -576 576 WIRE -112 608 -112 576 WIRE -576 704 -576 688 WIRE -464 704 -576 704 WIRE -384 704 -464 704 WIRE -240 704 -320 704 WIRE -112 704 -112 688 WIRE -112 704 -240 704 WIRE -736 720 -736 576 WIRE -464 736 -464 704 WIRE -240 736 -240 704 WIRE -576 832 -576 704 WIRE -112 832 -112 704 WIRE -496 880 -512 880 WIRE -464 880 -464 816 WIRE -464 880 -496 880 WIRE -448 880 -464 880 WIRE -384 880 -320 704 WIRE -320 880 -384 704 WIRE -240 880 -240 816 WIRE -240 880 -256 880 WIRE -208 880 -240 880 WIRE -176 880 -208 880 WIRE -208 912 -208 880 WIRE -496 928 -496 880 WIRE -576 1008 -576 928 WIRE -496 1008 -496 992 WIRE -496 1008 -576 1008 WIRE -208 1008 -208 976 WIRE -112 1008 -112 928 WIRE -112 1008 -208 1008 WIRE -736 1040 -736 800 WIRE -576 1040 -576 1008 WIRE -112 1040 -112 1008 FLAG -112 1040 0 FLAG -576 1040 0 FLAG -736 1040 0 SYMBOL RES -592 592 R0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 1000K SYMBOL res -128 592 R0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 1000K SYMBOL cap -384 864 R90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 1.5p SYMBOL cap -256 864 R90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName C2 SYMATTR Value 1.5p SYMBOL VOLTAGE -736 704 R0 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value 5 SYMBOL npn -176 832 R0 SYMATTR InstName Q1 SYMATTR Value BFR92A SYMBOL npn -512 832 M0 SYMATTR InstName Q2 SYMATTR Value BFR92A SYMBOL res -256 720 R0 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value 4700K SYMBOL res -480 720 R0 SYMATTR InstName R4 SYMATTR Value 4700.1K SYMBOL cap -512 928 R0 SYMATTR InstName C3 SYMATTR Value 0.68p SYMBOL cap -224 912 R0 SYMATTR InstName C4 SYMATTR Value 0.68p TEXT -768 1176 Left 2 !.tran 0 150u 50u startup TEXT -480 1176 Left 2 !.model BFR92A NPN(IS=3D0.1213E-15 VAF=3D30 BF=3D94.7=

3 IKF=3D0.46227 XTB=3D0 BR=3D10.729 CJC=3D946.47E-15 CJE=3D10.416E-15 TR=3D1.2744E-9 TF=3D26.796E-12 ITF=3D0.0044601 VTF=3D0.32861 XTF=3D0.3817 RB=3D14.998 RC=3D0.13793 RE=3D0.29088 Vceo=3D15 Icrating=3D4m mfg=3DInfineo= n)

I haven't seen them. I tend to ignore threads that should have gone to sci.electronics.basics, which can be adequately - if perhaps not properly - answered with "use a 741", or "use a 555".

John Fields gets off on playing in that kind of sandpit

Skilled in the sense that he knows a lot about getting a 555 to do things that would be better handled by more modern devices. It's certainly a area where he is remarkably competent, but my feeling - as I seem to have mentioned before - is that he should have put in more time learning to be able to use more modern components with comparable facility.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Thank you Tzu! :-)
Reply to

:

It certainly is. My guess is that I shouldn't have cut and pasted from Wordpad rather than Notepad (which is what I usually do, and has worked in the past). I've now posted a cut and paste from Notepad, which I hope will work better.

R3 should have been 4700K - as should have been obvious from the symmetry of the circuit. R4 was set at 4700.1K to break that symmetry so that the circuit would start up.

The whole point of the circuit was to exploit the low collector capacitance of the BFR92A. I felt obliged to repost the file because current LTSpice ignored most of the Gummel-Poon parameters in the .asc file I recovered from the original thread. It was easy enough to re- insert them, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

But not actually necessary.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
In order to "ignore" them you'd have to read them to determine their
content, which means - since you say you haven't seen them - you're a

an

tha=3D

.

My beta-blocker - sotalol (160 mgm per day) - might be a contributing factor. At one point I was taking Metoprolol succinaat, which was really very unhelpful, but my caridologist swapped me back to sotalol when my wife and I both complained about the side effects.

I'm also taking an ACE-inhibitor - fosinpril - but depression isn't listed as one of its side effects, but then again it isn't listed as one of sotalol regular side effects either, though one case of sotalol- induced depression has been reported.

I've been on blood-pressure-lowering medication for about ten years now - starting when they noticed that my aortic valve was calcifying. It was finally replaced with a pigs valve almost two years ago, but my blood pressure still needs to be controlled.

I've done that. The internet information is aimed at tolerably ill- informed patients. My youngest brother went through medical school and works as a general practitioner (as well as lecturing on how to be a general practitioner, and pursueing other off-mainstream topics) and can be relied on to tell me things I need to know.

ysfunctional

to,

cs.

Happiness isn't the problem. I'm perfectly cheerful, but I can't be bothered to do things as much in advance as I should. I used to be more conscientious - I still get things done on time, but I no longer strive to get ahead of the game.

his life

at his disposal.

That conceit showed up in from Joseph Heller's "Catch-22". I doubt that he invented it.

sfunctional.

ing.

I used to think that you were ill-informed about global cooling, and could thus become better informed if supplied with the right information. I now think that you get off on playing host to silly (non-manistream) ideas, which guarantees that you are going to ignore sensible ones.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

that.

You seem to be have your own problems with typos. I corrected three in the line above.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Heheh... Something tells me that you may have mispronounced that...

If I spent all my time quantifying things, would that make me Tzuzzy Q?

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

Most people would have been able to deduce the intended meaning from the context.

Here's a clue - "s" is next to "a" on the QWERTY keboard.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I'm not sure if it's a feature of Firefox, or an add in I don't recall installing, but when I post messages to Yahoo groups mis-spellings get underlined. If I right click on the word it suggests replacements.

Looking through my add-ons, there's nothing that looks like a spell checker, so it must be Firefox. I just signed into googlegroups using BugMeNot, and when I clicked on "new post" the same spellchecker seems to work just fine.

Reply to
JW

Figured I'd take a look in the Firefox options after posting this. It is in [tools] [options] [advanced] General tab.

Reply to
JW

te:

,
.

The LTSpice file you posted didn't assign any parallel capacitance to the inductor, and the first commercially available 100mH inductor that I came across had a self-resonant frequency below 100kHz.

Not exactly. I was making the point that you'd made an unrealistic assumption - no parallel capacitance - about the inductor in your circuit, and used two easy-to-find commercially available inductors to illustrate the point.

If I'd wanted a 100mH inductor for the applcation, I'd probably have wound it on a four section former, filling up each section before moving on the next, which is a well-known technique for reducing parallel capacitance and increasing the self-resonant frequency, but my opinion was that using an inductor was a clumsy, expensive and space-extravagant solution, and my two BFR92A solution was better.

,

Only because the cut and paste didn't work as it should have done. I'd cut and pasted from a file I'd just run on LTSpice

I don't post nonsense very often, and I accept correction when I do. This really wasn't what I was talking about, as even you should have been able to work out. This may be one of you feeble attempts at making a joke, but if it was I wouldn't give up the day job.

I've got a free mechanical drawing program on my Linux partition, but the last time I tried to use it prove completely impenetrable. I've no need to prove how smart I am - it's quite well documented - and that drive isn't remotely up to getting me to make another try at getting that program to work.

You do messy mechanical designs for demanding optical applications? Who'd have guessed.

.

It says some interesting things about expertise, and makes it fairly clear that over-confidence isn't something that would correlate with expertise.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Not a lie at all, just an opinion. It may not be an opinion that you
like, but that doesn't make it a lie.

--
Old bumblefinger strikes again...
Reply to

--
Oh, well...
Reply to

[snip]

Hey! Dipshit! Show us something "better handled by more modern devices", or STFU! You're an utter failure as an engineer/scientist. Do us all a favor and put yourself out of your misery :-)

...Jim Thompson