Who has the HP opto-electronics line?

I'm looking for optical encoder chips.

First HP sold opto-electronics. Then they sold themselves to their own printer division, and the "real" HP became Agilent. Then Agilent split off, or sold off, their semiconductor business -- but to whom?

They made a nifty chip that could basically read any old random pattern (so they said) and turn it into an encoder output. I've recently seen literature from encoder manufacturers that indicates that there's a chip that can be aimed at a _particular_ pattern and give an _absolute_ encoder output -- I'd like to get my hands on such a beast, if it exists far enough outside of my fervid imagination that it's easy to get and reasonable to apply.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Avago

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Yup, and the web site is spelled a bit differently:

If they ain't got it, it probably ain't there no more.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I made IBIS models for them early this past year ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thanks John. I knew it wasn't either Agilent or HP, but I couldn't remember what.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim

This kind?

SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Are you referring to the "Gray Code" standard ?

Or a quadd type A/B encoder? if So, I do that with a couple of D-FFs wiht SET and RESET on them.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

wn

it

k/gray_code.htm

The "Gray" code isn't a standard, but a particular kind of binary number sequence, named after the guy who invented at Bell Labs in 1947 and got his name on the Bell Labs patent. As usual, other people had invented it earlier, including Emile Baudot back in 1878, but hadn't bothered patenting it or publishing the idea in a form that precluded Bell Labs from getting a patent.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

?

who gives a flying f*8k who invented it, does it really matter? The fact that it has a point of reference to obtain some useful facts is all that matters here, not who exactly made it and who has its name on it.

I drive a damn Jeep, I don't care if Jeep wasn't the first to make a 4 wheeled powered vehicle.

I am beginning to think that no one likes to listen to you so you need to come here and unload your idiocies.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie
Jamie wrote:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Neither the code nor the decoder, nor the implied relative encoderness.

I'm talking about an _absolute_ encoder, for which I've seen a product brochure that showed a disk with an irregular pattern printed on it (presumably encoding the _absolute_ position) and a chip that obviously viewed the disk.

I can only assume that any given patch of pattern a bit smaller than what the chip could see was somehow unique, and that the chip was able to figure out what part it was, and where it was relative to the chip.

Or, I've just got to stop smoking these little handmade cigarettes that my friends down on skid row keep handing me.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

own

lit

en

ip

ts

.uk/gray_code.htm

If you want to understand what the code is good for, it pays to read what has been written on the subject. Searching for the "standard" that defines the Gray code isn't going to get yoy very far.

Which is why calling it a "standard" was a bad idea. It wouldn't help the search process and could well have hindered it. I pointed to the Wikipedia page on the subject, which made my post a good deal more informative than your reference to a manufacturer's very restricted guide for idiots.

They weren't.

The Jeep was first made by Willys-Overland for the US Army, and produced by them and Ford. The name didn't get to be official until around 1950

need

If you were to begin to think, we'd all be pleased.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Baudot already had a code named for him. Another would have been greedy ;-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

?

Oh please, if you ever did think before you opened your trap we wouldn't have to put up with you. To add to that, I don't think any one would even know you existed.

I have not seen anything of content from you that didn't involved attempting to prove some one wrong or attempting to prove that every one else is below you.

You must be socially impotent. A real party stopper!

P.S. My mother and father made me, and I just happen to know who my parents are! But does that mean any one cares to know? I don't think so.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Yes, they call it "Gray Code" . plenty of references on the subject.

Maybe a chip like this is what you're thinking about?

also, look here.

Myself, I'd just code up chip to do the translations.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

And confusing.

Michael A. Terrell

r own

split

ern

seen

chip

ists

co.uk/gray_code.htm

need

You'd better think that out again.

Scholar.google begs to differ. You've got to search for "A W Sloman" but a couple of my publications have been cited a number of times.Even the top one - with 14 citations - isn't going to set the Thames on fire, but it's not bad for a hobby activity.

It's called correcting errors. I do occasionally post stuff where I expand on the bare bones that someone else has posted, but that's the kind of distinction that you aren't equipped to comprehend.

Except Winfield Hill, Spehro Pefhany, Phil Hobbs, John Larkin (if only when he's talking about electronics), John Fields (if only when he's talking about using a 555) and a whole host of others ...

Social potency, like social behaviour, depends on context.

And who they were married to when they made you? Mine had just got married to one another at the relevant time - probably a mistake, but they stayed married and living together until my father died, some fourteen years ago.

Correctly, for once.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I'm kinda late here & perhaps no one is looking anymore. I think what the o riginal query may have referred to was the HP Opto Electronics Divions (OED ) optical shaft encoder. We sold a large quantity of them here (Toronto)to NCR around 1980 for their bank proof machines. The disc is Grey Binary. The self appointed experts in this thread will know why the Grey codes are use d. Perhaps!

John L Stewart (ex-HP Sales)

Reply to
johnnhelen4

Avago:

Agilent, Avago -- I think that when the HP spin-offs chose names they just started at "A" and didn't get much farther.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

They were just sold to avagotech aka Broadcom

cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle