PCB Power Trace Widths, Ground Planes, and Routing

Hello,

** I feel somewhat overwhelmed by my pcb design task, so I appologize in advance for the length/convoluted-ness of this post. I have attempted to compact and clarify as best as I can.

I am designing a PCB of an embedded system with mostly SMT parts. The board includes audio (TI TLV320AIC1106) and ethernet subsections (Cirrus Logic CS8900A). It also includes an Oki Semiconductor ML67Q5003 ARM microprocessor running at 20MHz (4x PLL) clocked by a 5MHz oscillator. It draws not more than 0.5A, is only two layers, and has three regulated voltages (5, 3.3, 2.5)from a 16V 500mA wall-wart transformer.

Using a trace width calculator at

I find that the 8mil signal traces on my board are wide enough to route power. Should I make them thicker (100mil?) anyway? Thicker traces confuse the Altium Situs auto-router around my SMT components so I would prefer not to unless needed.

How important are ground/power planes here? Since this is a two layer board with close to 500 connections on the pcb, even with a 6x8" board, space is tight around the SMT chips, so I would like to avoid planes if possible. If I do add a plane, should I include dead/unconnected copper portions of the plane? Should planes be placed before or after auto-routing?

What other considerations should I take? What can make routing easier? I've been playing with Protel DXP for a few days and was finally able to generate a fully routed board that I think meets manufacturing specs, but it was a long iterative process getting here.

Does Advanced Circuits

have standard hole sizes? Is it safe to exactly meet there minimum requirements for trace/via/pad separation on much of the board?

Answers or feedback to any of these questions are much appreciated. Happy Holidays, Chris

Reply to
Apparatus

If it's only 2 layers and has no ground plane, and power and ground are just skinny routed traces, I'd be astonished if it actually worked.

8 mils is scairy for power, terrifying for ground. It can certainly handle the current (in the sense of not getting too hot) but the resistance and inductance can make big trouble.

The most critical thing will be ground. Is this just a bunch of autorouted 8-mil traces? That will be bad news.

If you have a lot of area to kill and insist on a 2-layer board, manually create a ground grid of fat (100 mil, maybe) traces using both sides, plop a via at each intersection, glue all that down, and route around it with signals.

Better yet, go to 4 layers: solid ground l3, regional power pours on l2, traces on l1 and l4, with some more routing on l2 around the pours maybe.

John

Thank you for your informative replies.

I'm using a two layer board since it is $33 at

with the student discount. I suppose I could go to a four layer board. How much more do these usually run? (The price isn't listed on 33each.com. I need to call for a quote.)

What speed qualifies as high speed? Which buses qualify as highly active buses? The ARM is able to be clocked up to 66MHz, but I'm running it at 20MHz (4x 5MHz osc. via PLL) to avoid much these high speed effects. The ethernet section is running at 20MHz as well, but off a separate crystal to allow me to clock the ARM faster, independently of the CS8900. The TI Codec is running at 2.048MHz of another osc. The ARM has an 18-bits of the address bus running to SRAM,

1-bit to the LCD controller, and 3-bits to the CS8900. The 16-bit data bus runs 16-bits to SRAM and the CS8900, and 8-bits to the TI Codec and LCD Controller. During development, SRAM will hold program code and be frequently accessed. The TI Codec and CS8900 will be the other two frequently accessed chips (VoIP application).

Should I make separate analog ground planes for the TI Codec and CS8900? Why do the chips have separate analog and digital grounds (AVss and DVss)? Can I connect these to one ground plane? If to separate ground planes, how should the planes connect to ground.

The 5V is to power an onboard LCD the CPLD LCD controller. The 2.5V is the supply for the ARM core. The rest of the system is 3.3V. So I should make the power plane 3.3V and run 100 mil traces in the same layer (maybe around the edges?) for the other two supplies? How can I tell the auto-router to make the trace smaller as it gets closer to the SMT chips? Currently the auto-router tries to run 100mil traces straight to the SMT pins and looks like it shorts them, though that could simply be a visual effect. I'm using Protel DXP.

Since this is a student project, I don't need to meet FCC testing. If you're interested in the class, here is the website:

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Apparatus

I wouldn't attempt to do what you are doing without at least 4 layers. This will make routing a lot easier, too, because power (or at least ground) is basically done.

As for power traces of 0.008", AFAIK, that is totally unworkable, although I have never tried it. The problem is that 8 mil traces have a lot of inductance, and digital chips draw current in spikes. So it is hard to ensure that there is enough current available when it is needed. Also, you can no longer be sure that at any given moment, all the chip grounds are at the same potential. This could cause huge problems.

I think I would go with 4 layers and put in a GND plane, and one positive power plane. Whichever of your 3 voltages is most common I would make into a power plane. Personally, I would not route any traces on this power plane. I might put in some islands of different voltages, but according to my training, there are precautions that must be followed when you do this. For example, when you route a high-speed signal on an outer layer, it is referenced to the underlying plane. If the signal crosses a split in the plane, you have to decouple directly across the plane split with a high-frequency capacitor, and the capacitor has to be near the signal. This is a change of reference.

If most of your signals are not high speed, then you may get away with not worrying about this. But at least you should do it for the clocks and any highly active buses.

Sounds like you may be in slightly over your head, but hey, that's how we learn. ;-)

I hope you allow enough time in the schedule to do the board layout twice. Especially if it requires FCC testing.

HTH

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Spend a few more bucks on a 4-layer. You want this to work the first time, don't you?

The frequency isn't as important as the edge rates and power supply dI/dT. A "fast" part run at a lower-than-max clock rate still needs to be treated as a fast part.

No.

So that, internal to the chip, digital ground bounce doesn't mess up the analog stuff too badly.

Yes.

I usually make pour pours around each chip at the appropriate voltages. If things work out, you can slice up the power plane into cleverly shaped islands that connect everything with fat regions everywhere. If not, use power islands around chips and run fat power feeders (50-100 mils) to the islands from your power supplies.

99.99% of autorouters suck 99.99% of the time. Just do it by hand. Routing is fun.

John

Check pcbexpress.com, too.

If you don't mind using their free software, you can also use expresspcb. They are reliable, but a lot of people don't like using them because their software uses special output formats that aren't compatible with other vendors.

All continuous clocks are high speed, no matter how fast they are. Any bus that runs continuously should be treated as high speed. This includes all RAM, etc. And, as John Larkin said, the edge rate of the signal can make it fast, even if the clock rate isn't. I would say all of your buses are probably high speed. An example of a non-high-speed bus would be the SMBus serial bus on Intel architecture systems.

Here is a little tip for you. The clocks on digital boards cause 90 percent of signal integrity and RF interference problems. So leave good clearance around the clock traces (this helps keep them from adding noise to other signals), and try to avoid changing reference plane when you route them. That is, if they are next to a ground layer, keep them next to ground layers. Don't switch to a VCC layer. And if they are next to a VCC layer, keep them there. This helps keep them from emitting RF. At my previous job, our standard procedure was to put series resistors near all clock sources, and shunt capacitors near all clock loads. This allows you to control the edge rate to keep RF emissions down, and you can slightly tweak the signal delay if you find you have a skew problem. Often the resistor would be replaced with a "jumper", and the capacitor would not be populated. But this is preferable to redesigning the board to incorporate them if they are needed. Also, avoid routing other signals near the clock generator, buffer, and multiplier chips. They are infamous for coupling noise to other signals.

Splitting ground planes is problematic because, as I said, you shouldn't route signals across the split on layers adjacent to the plane, and usually, you have to. So it is better to stick to one ground plane, and decouple it appropriately.

I usually filter the AVDD with series inductor and several shunt capacitors (to ground) of different values and package sizes. I have never tried not doing this, but I have had good luck so far with this approach.

I've never used an auto-router. Usually other people have manually routed my boards for me, according to my instructions. Maybe you could route some of the critical nets manually first, and then submit the job to the auto-router?

The idea I have in mind for you is to not route traces on the power plane at all. Instead, I am imagining that you will have a VCC plane that will mostly be 3.3V, but with an an island of 5 V near the LCD and CPLD, and island of 2.5 near the ARM (unless it uses both 2.5 and 3.3. Does it?). Connect the 5V and 2.5V supplies to the islands using wide traces. I imagine 100 mils would be fine. Be sure to use multiple vias.

If the arm has 3.3V for the I/O supplies, you may find that the 3.3 V and the 2.5 V are spacially segregated. In BGA's, the innermost area is often the core voltage with the IO voltages in the outer balls. I don't know if your ARM chip is like this or not. If it is, try to make an island that captures all the 2.5V pins or balls, including decoupling caps, but make it as small as you can, and try to keep it away from 3.3V pins or balls if you can.

Usually, I don't decide how to cut up the power plane until after I place most of the parts on the board. Then I set the different voltages to different colors and try to visualize where the different islands should go. Sometimes it is hard. Sometimes it is easy. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can and hope it works. I try to keep the islands rectangular, or at most slightly pan-handled. It is OK to have multiple islands of the same voltage, as long as they are connected by fat traces. Your 100 mils would be plenty, I think. The individual islands should be decoupled to ground just as if they were continuous planes.

Good. That makes the job a lot easier.

Good luck! Stay on top of it and try to get things done early. This is a fairly big task if you've never done it before!

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

8 mils is too narrow for power. Use at least 16 mils or better 20 mils. If you route the power like a grid and place 100nf bypass capacitors on the intersection points, you will be fine.
--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

There have been lots of suggestions about going to more than 2 layers. I would normally concur, but since this is a student project, you probably will not have the reason or resources for that.

I disagree somewhat about splitting the ground plane. Make a logical block diagram and the appropriate ground plane splits may become obvious. For instance, the input power area (from you wall-wart) can be separated from the regulated voltages. Often the dc-dc ics will be pinned out intentionally to support this, and/or the data shets will show a recommended layout. Also, since you have an audio section, fence off the ground for the circuits in that area from the digital and high-speed i/o circuits. Connect the audio ground area to the other ground at a single "gate" large enough to support the anticipated currents. Keep the audio components over the audio ground.

Reply to
Richard Henry

It's not the clock speed, so much as the speed of the pulse edges. Even if you ran it at 1 MHz you could still have problems with poor layout. Also, the current spikes when outputs switch can be very high, as much as 1 A, momentarily.

You ought to route the critical tracks like supplies and ground manually. You can use 'fanouts' to get small tracks connecting to SMD leads. The Protel autorouter has a very poor reputation, you'd be better off routing all your tracks manually.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Yeah, but it takes some luck, and maybe a few iterations, especially in a mixed-signal design with fast parts, like this is. And if it's autorouted, a lot of the traces will make the grand tour of the board. It might work, or it might be a nightmare.

Moderm PCs have a lot of layers... anybody know how many?

John

Did you mean modern, or modem?

I worked on a board once that came out to 11 layers.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I think the mother boards are typically 4 layers.

They work pretty hard to get there - lots of competition in that business.

The board designers do get some help from the chip designers - sensible pinouts. (Basically, the chip designers have to demonstrate that you can build a sensible board with only 4 layers.)

Hal Murray

You'll be amazed what can be accomplished by using only 2 layers if the bypass capacitors are well placed and the power is well routed. I actually have a 2 layer 386SX 33MHz motherboard which was available commercially (not my design, just something that ended up in a box with PC stuff).

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I recently did a couple of boards using some fine-pitch 456-ball BGAs, Xilinx FPGAs. We needed 8 layers, 6 mil traces, and 10 mil via drills to get all the signals out. It might have been possible in 6 layers, if the Vcc-io and Vcc-core had shared a layer and we'd worked at it a lot longer, but it would have been really nasty.

John

Modern. Funny, I bet I've written a few million lines of code and at least a hundred manuals, and I've never learned to type.

John

Most mispellings won't pass by a compiler. Tragically, some will.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yes, such a board can be made by a person with a great deal of experience, but the OP doesn't have that.

John Woodgate

Most these days are six. The low-end stuff is still four though.

Sure. The only ones making money are the one's making the processor and the OS. Smart people don't fun M$. ;-)

Again, many are six-layer to get the wiring reasonable. Server boards are almost always six layer.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Nonsense. You've never seen a BGA or PGA? X86 processors are almost always PGAs and the bridges are almost always BGAs these days. There are many reasons to go to more layers. Again, six is more or less standard for higher end boards. Four for the cheap crap.

Look again. Certainly the inner layers (and anything else they can find) are used for power, but signals are done on innner layers too.

--
  Keith
Reply to

That makes sense for cards (I've personally done 10 layers and met the ..062" PCI spec), but why the restriction for motherboards?

I believe it. Multiple layers aren't all *that* expensive. Certainly a

*dime* is expensive for cheapcrap Taiwaneese desktop motherboards, but there are many other markets.
--
  Keith
Reply to