About where to connect ground planes...

Hi guys, I have a question for the routing experts.

I have a 4 layers board, in which I dedicated one internal layer (the upper one) to a ground plane, and another internal layer (the bottom one) for power (5V, 3v3 and some other lines are routed in this layer).

I have some empty space at the top layer (external) and I want to fill that space with grounded copper. The question is: Where should I GROUND that copper? at several points (e.g. vias)? or just at one point (e.g. one and jus one via)?

I am worried about the little ground loops that can be created between two vias connected to two ground planes.

Best Regards...

Franco.

Reply to
Franco

Technically, it depends on the design. But don't be concerned, unless you are on the bleeding edge of the performance envelope (i.e. approaching GHz), this usually won't be something that will make make a difference. Generally speaking, the more vias the better.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

What would be the point of that? The whole point of vais is to provide the shortest route to ground and also to make it easier to route. If you use a star ground like method I would imagine the ground plane would be somewhat useles? I'm sure its better than nothing but I'm guessing that its effectiveness is drastically weakend.

I have no idea. I imagine its not that big a deal because high performance PCB's have many vias. Chances are you solve more problems than you create if you use many vias rather than trying to minimize them.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

What type of application will this board be used in? Will it be exposed to heat, moisture, etc... If so, think carefully about flooding top and bottom layers with ground plane. Dendretic growth could kill an otherwise good product.

Gerb

Reply to
Gerbermultit00l

The vias are already connected to the ground panel which is an internal layer. That is the point indeed. I don t want to "reconnect" them to a "redundant" ground panel, placed at the top of the board (many little ground loops).

Reply to
Franco

Unless you're doing something specific like coplanar waveguide, additional topside ground pours probably have no effect.

If two points are already connected by a sheet of copper, more copper won't do much. "Ground loops" is a pretty fuzzy concept in this context.

If you're trying to reduce the sheet resistance of the internal ground plane for some reason, use lots of vias.

John

It should do no harm - just FYI, that's not where "ground loops" come from.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks for the quotation.