PCB power planes?

Just been looking for ideas

and I havent done any multi layer boards, is fig 5.3 on P24 correct?

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

2.1.1 is insane. They can't make up their mind whether to use 0r resistors or beads, so they are still guessing.

Splitting grounds is usually a bad idea. Except when it's a terrible idea.

Fig 5.3 looks so weird to me that I assume PDF rendering errors. Does anyone else see huge black triangles?

2.1.2 suggests sequencing or possible latchup problems. Be careful here; get more info maybe.

John

I get the same triangles, silly idiots for letting something out like that in a ref. design. I don't think I need all the extra bits, just 1 vid in and an AVR or

8051 to control it, so I was just going to have a vdd and gnd copper flood on the inner layers, get some cheap boards done to test.

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Looks like a pdf problem.

Martin Riddle

If you're going to do a test board, start with one solid ground plane, with power planes below/above as needed (likely only one power plane is necessary here) preferably with thin dielectric between the planes. Handle any signal integrity/noise problems locally.

It's amazing how many really silly reference design/eval boards there are.

John

Yes, with both the Foxit and PDF-XChange viewers so it's probably in the original.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Weird. But I'd be a lot more concerned about figure 5.2. Splitting grounds is rarely a good idea. Might also blow the EMC cert.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not sure yet. But the split planes appear to be an isolation issue. Is this an isolation device as well?

Reply to
JosephKK

I tried using Acroread 8 for MSWin running in WINE on it and it is just fine.

It looks fine in Linux Firefox with the AR8 plugin.

Have fun.

Reply to
JosephKK