OT; Widespread Global warming

Most of the jobs they've directly created recently are relatively low-paying retail sector jobs (the majority still in the US, IIRC). The average salary at Apple is under US $50K a year. 8-( Median is no doubt even more miserable. And even that's a king's ransom compared to what their contract manufacturers' employees in China get paid.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My belief is that Obama's push for "green" manufacturing jobs is his strategy to replace the millions of traditional manufacturing jobs that have moved off-shore. That might not be much of a strategy (...the Chinese can likely figure out how to build electric cars and, solar panels, etc. within months of anything we manage to come up with... I think they already have the world's largest PV cell plant... and I'm completely ignoring the issue of how much

*demand* for green technologies can be stimualted and/or mandated...), but at least he realizes that we're not about to generate, e.g., 100 million engineering jobs paying $100k+ any time soon, and even if we could, there aren't enough qualified people out there to fill them.

Healthcare sure seems like a good field right about now...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It's certainly higher than 5% in my family. Creativity is a step along the way to madness. I'd guess that nobody in your family tree has had a psychotic episode, or an original idea, in centuries.

A little nonsense now and then Is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka

We've got all too many facts about you. You post them all the time. Describing comments about you as ad hominem attacks is self-flattery - its actually ad sub-hominem.

Rich suffering from delusions of adequacy - again ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Not that I know of. One great-uncle enlisted in the Australian Light Horse (177) in 1914 and fought on Gallipoli, where he was fatally wounded. He survived long enough to be evacuated to a military hospital on Lemnos, but died of his wounds after some six weeks, on the 27th July 1915, aged thirty. Enlisting was a pretty silly thing to do, but probably doesn't count as a psychotic episode.

My father seems to have had a few original ideas.

nG=3DZoeken&lr=3D

picks up four US patents - out of the 25 he told me that he'd had granted up over the years. And - as you are aware - I've got a couple of patents of my own.

Your concept of an "original" idea seems to be restricted to those that emerged from the brain of John Larkin.

Roald Dahl picked it up from earlier authors

Horatio Walpole (1717-09-24 =96 1797-03-02), 4th Earl of Orford, more commonly known as Horace Walpole, paraphased what was then already a common proverb in 1774 with " A careless song, with a little nonsense in it now and then, does not misbecome a monarch", in a letter to Sir Horace Mann, 1774. Derived from an proverb of unknown authorship: "A little nonsense now and then / Is relished by the wisest men".

Horace said the rouhgly same thing somewhat earlier.

Mingle a little folly with your wisdom; a little nonsense now and then is pleasant. [Lat., Misce stultitiam consiliis brevem: Dulce est desipere in loco.] Author: Horace (Quintus Horatius Flaccus) Source: Carmina (IV, 12, 27)

"Nonsense" - in this context - is text that is intended to be ridiculous. Rich's output is ridiculous, but he seems to think he is posting serious comment, which makes him dim rather than creative.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

We got 27MPG on the road (~18 in town) with our Voyagers, until they fell apart (neither lasted 100K miles).

Reply to
krw

You give Obummer a *lot* of credit. Why do you think China won't beat us to production?

You have *got* to be kidding.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

drawbacks

blows, and the

bird-

block (or

critters who

Channel

extract some

thing will

environmental

have more

the no

first

things

they

It may be very good, but free?

Reinforced block is very good for earthquakes. That was the point.

Reply to
krw

I recently heard of a study some years back where they mapped the zip-codes where farm subsidy checks were mailed. Something like 80% went to 1000x.

Why bother?

Reply to
krw

ound

ough

tion?

own

s to

iner

-)

That's better efficiency than the U.S., though. Last year Mr. Obama borrowed roughly $1.6T. [1]

At $75k/job, that's enough for 22 million jobs. The administration / claims/ 3 million created. So, n =3D ~14%.

[1]
debt, 9/30/2010: $13,561,623,030,891.79 debt, 10/1/2009: 11,920,519,164,319.40 ------------------------------------------- Increase $1,641,103,866,572.39

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

ly

My car gets ~40mpg, depending, but I hardly drive it. I walk instead.

Don't kid yourself--it'd be an order of magnitude above the ripple we just weathered, with no US to step in an stabilize it (or paper over it).

Roughly $20 an opening for the good stuff.

It's a lark--I'm doing the super-conservation thing as an experiment. My bill last month was for $29, which was $14 heating on top of my basic $15 consumption.

Heat loss goes up with delta_T, so cutting delta_T saves a lot. I coasted through Dec-Jan with $15 by keeping the thermostat at 42F, and heating just the one room I'm in with a space heater, to a low standard.

It's slightly spartan, but it proves the point that it's not difficult to save a lot--you wouldn't have to try very hard to conserve a bundle. I like it. For me, it's fun.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

snipped-for-privacy@n2g2000pre.googlegroups.com...

ter-rv.com/... also ~20mpg (it's a turbo diesel).

My Dad had a Rialta:

It's a Winnebago built on a VW chassis, has ample room and gets

18-22mpg. Pretty impressive, really.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I looked at the pictures. Very nice.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Jimmy Carter got ridiculed for asking Americans to turn down the heat and wear sweaters during heating season.

Meanwhile, I think people look nice and attractive in sweaters during heating season.

Going further for dressing warmly in the privacy of one's homes to reduce home heating costs, there are further opportunities for dressing warmly to extremes short of risking freezing of water pipes.

Maybe wear a coat and hat? That easily sounds ridiculous, but some would find that less ridiculous than paying extra to keep themselves warm by burning fuel or consuming electrical energy rather than dressing more warmly.

Other options that easily sound ridiculous but some could practice? How about a folded-in-half flat bedsheet used as a wrap-around skirt, especially if it's flannel? How ridiculous is that if nobody sees you, or if you have a significant other who both likes that and is willing to similarly dress warmly, maybe in a similarly silly way?

What about making use of nice cozy warm robes?

This easily sounds ridiculous, but some people find it attractive, even sexy, to dress in warm-and-cozy ways when it's chilly outdoors. That tends to get easier to do when it's cooler indoors.

Likewise,

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

They only do a couple of models with such low fuel efficiency in Europe the A4 series top end S4, RS4 and A6 Quattros. And even then it should manage something around 30mpg cruising on the freeway if driven well. The 20mpg figure is appropriate for narrow twisty mountain roads.

It seems cruel putting a European car with 0-60 acceleration of 5s and top speeds of nearly three times the national speed limit onto US roads surrounded by sloppy automatics which can barely make 60 in 15-20s and don't go round corners.

The point here is that you have a one of the highest performance cars in the Audi range and it will leave most American cars for dust if driven properly. Typically I find a US made vehicle needs around twice the engine capacity to make up for the lousy transmission, poor aerodynamics and excess weight when compared to a European car.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's not at all bad - though 50 or 60mpg would be better. If only a few more Americans were a bit more like you. I could walk to the nearest shop but it would take more than an hour each way and it is a small shop. I sometimes cycle to it for the exercise in decent weather.

They see you coming. Is that for the gold plated version made in an oxygen free atmosphere and sung to by virgin mermaids?

You should be able to get a roll of 15m for about $5 if UK prices are anything to go by (and around $3 if you wait for promo deals). That implies that your openings are either 60m square or someone is ripping you off for vastly over expensive draft proofing tape. It is quick to do so I don't understand why you continue to suffer from drafts.

The other stuff that is good are the polystyrene foam backed with foil heat reflector to prevent radiators losing heat through outer walls.

In Japan our winter heating bill was always low. Most of the time it was perfectly comfortable in Tokyo during winter. Everyone else had their hi-tech paraffin heaters on full bore and thick coats to go out.

I agree entirely. The problem I find in the USA is that hotels and seminar rooms in summer are freeze your nuts off cold and require putting on jumpers or jackets to survive in them and correspondingly in winter they are soporifically hot requiring you to strip off. There never seems to be a time when the aircon is not blowing either hot or cold even in spring and fall when the outside temperatures are pleasant.

Fair enough but it is a bit too like the hair shirt solution of the extreme greens. I have a friend who is heavily into energy conservation in a similar style - his house is very well insulated and uses a log burning stove at the core on the coldest days.

Basically good for you, but you really need to persuade the average American to shift a bit in your direction.

When I lived in Japan there was an electricity crisis one summer and the government asked everybody to turn up their thermostats to 25C and almost everyone did. We were asked to recalibrate and recertify all our clean room analytical instruments for the new temperature. We never went back to 20C after that as in a sub tropical summer environment 25C was a much more comfortable working temperature and people stopped leaning on the warm parts of the instrument so calibration improved.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Somebody is going to get sued about that, if they haven't been sued already.

Certain steels do get brittle at low temperatures after they have been welded. The classic examples of such brittle failures were the WW2 Liberty ships that broke in half in freezing weather. The problem was investigated at the time, and the results of that investigation have been taught to structural engineering students ever since.

People still weld the wrong steel from time to time. When I was an undergraduate in Melbourne, Australia, one of the bridges across the Yarra river failed for exactly this reason, and one of my acquaintances reported that his engineering lecturer had re-run the Liberty Ship story the very same morning

On investigation, it turned out that the design engineers had specified the right steel but the bridge ended up being built with the wrong steel anyway - apparently the steel manufacturer couldn't easily supply exactly the steel that had been specified, and the buyers accepted a substitute that they shouldn't have.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@n2g2000pre.googlegroups.com...

these:

also ~20mpg (it's a turbo diesel).

My dad had a Kaiser, a Studebaker, and a DeSoto. Kiss of death, he was, to cars.

John

It's an A3 Quattro, 3.2L V6. Only about a third of the trip was mountain. I guess the ski racks hurt mileage at 80 MPH.

I bought it used from a guy who had six boy-toy cars and lost his job. I like it because it's red. All you see around here are blocks and blocks of white, black, grey, aluminum, and hideous pearl-colored cars. Check Google Street View: it's the same all over the world. Maybe Japan is the worst. Even Italy has mostly colorless cars.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/A3a.jpg

An A3 is basically a 4WD Golf.

The 4WD is fabulous in snow/mud/wet. Top speed is claimed to be 156 MPH, but I'm not going to find out, not on snow tires.

But there are good American cars around now. Their transmissions are certainly better than the Audi's, which I'm going to take in soon for a second attempt at fixing it. They replaced all the mechatronics a few months ago and it's lurching and clanking again. Great car to drive, but not very reliable, and all the electronics sucks.

John

I've seen those at RV shows. For one person it'd be great... although for two even I start to think it's a little tight. :-)

It's also off my wife's list based on the fact that the bathroom is immediately adjacent to the kitchen (more or less)!

That Rialta there is a lot cheaper than used Sprinters!

Reply to
Joel Koltner