OT: What do you do when a client who owes you money up and has a heart attack?

The subject line says it all - this guy has owed me $315 (which might not sound like much to you rich guys, but it'll keep me in consumables for almost a month) for about 4 weeks, and he hasn't been answering my emails and so on, so I was thinking the guy's another deadbeat, until I found out last night that he had a heart attack in an airplane potty, so who knows how long before they found him, and he's in a coma, and the prognosis is not terribly rosy.

What's a fella to do if he dies? Find the probabe court and present my invoice there? Or possibly scarier, what if he's in a PVS for the rest of his life?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Send him an invoice or bill for the amount. Somebody should be handling his business matters, paying bills, etc. A phone call may clear it up and make them aware of the debt. If nobody responds after several months, file a small claims action agains't him or his estate. Be sure to keep all records and be able to prove that you did the work, he owes the amount and you invoiced him. If he is a total dead beat with no assets or is dead with no estate you may lose, but at least try to collect.

Reply to
Bob Eld

To know for sure, check with a lawyer. Of course, an answer may cost more than $315...

AFAIK he still owes you. If you have a signed contract then you should (legally) be able to collect from whoever is taking care of his affairs, just as you would from his estate should he die. If it was a handshake agreement then his people only have your word on it that you are owed the money, and your claims become pretty darn weak.

I would hope that if I were in your position I would manage to approach this with some delicacy (sometimes when delicacy is called for I manage it, sometimes I blunder around like a spastic elephant). Just continuing to send bills may be the best thing, at least until his condition has stabilized somewhat.

I would also consider the financial situation of his people. If $315 is small potatoes for them, go get it. Were it me I'd seriously consider forgiving the debt if it looks like his people are in financial distress, even if it put _me_ in a bit of a bind -- but then I try to maintain a pretense of charity to my fellow man.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You would probably spend more time chasing the money than it is worth. You know, th 'ol time == $$$ thing. I guess you need to look at how much income could you generate in the amount of time it would take you to collect that invoice.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

If he's doing business as a company, and you've presented an invoice, the executor will know about it.

Just watch the obits/probate notices, and submit a claim to the probate court if you aren't paid before then.

...Jim Thompson

IMHO, write it off. Assume he dies. Probate and the estate will only pay off what they have--just like a bankrupcy, and the odds that he has enough assets to pay off his debts is probably low. Afterall he was not paying you, so he probably hasn't paid anyone else either.

So you might get a few cents on the dollar, maybe $150 if you are lucky. THen subtract all the costs of gettin gthat $150 and you will quickly realize that it cost you more to collect than you collected.

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks everybody. I at least have a more realistic idea of what my options are.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm learning more about this than I ever wanted to. Still, IANAL.

Find out if anyone has power of attorney or a guardianship. They could pay you if you can convince them the debt is real.

Likewise, If he dies and there's enough money around, the personal representative or executor may just pay you.

Otherwise you may have to file a claim with the probate court. At least in this state, there's a time limit. Pretty short, something like four months after public notice, or one month if you receive a letter of notification, to file a claim with the court.

Your mileage may vary.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Write it off on your taxes. In the end, you will probably be ahead after you consider the cost to collect.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Perhaps sue his estate for the debt? At least that way, it does not make any difference if he is dead or alive or a vegatable.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Part of the executor's job is to pay off bills - all of them. Submit your bill, certified or registered mail if you think it's needed - ask the postal person which is appropriate for an unpaid bill. Don't wait too long - you may end up in as long line, and if not done within a certain time, the court usually dismisses them ( I think it was 90 - 120 days ). I was on the payer side, and routine bills were how I found out about outstanding debts and accounts.

Reply to
<Joe