What happens when you bypass a interlock on a microwave?

This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when you open the door while its running what happens?

Reply to
machinesmith

Your balls get hot, and drop off ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"machinesmith" wrote in news:42Mng.16234$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

The microwaves come out the open door, and this is not a good thing for any living creatures in the vicinity... including you! Remember, those microwaves *cook* food, meaning they are capable of cooking you!

Reply to
Jim Land

LOL Ray J

Reply to
jfetr

They call it microwave "radiation" for a reason, I suppose...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Seriously, you'll be exposed to intense microwave radiation which is likely to permanently damage your eyes at the very least. Don't do it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

If you bypass the switches and the door is accidentally opened, the damage to anyone or anything alive in the path of the radiation will have permanent damage of some type.

Effects of microwave radiation at the intensity level that is from a microwave oven, even if it is too weak to feel at the distance you may be at, will cause eye damage, and promote the growth of cancer tissue.

Microwave radiation has to be very weak in order to not have a dangerous effect. I think the safety rating for the maximum allowed is something like

50 uA/cm^2 (50 millionths of a watt at one centimetre at the minimal distance from the point of transmission). The radiation from your microwave oven is in the many hundreds of watts.

The radiation from your microwave oven is very intense for the purpose of cooking food. This means that if you are exposed at a close enough distance, you can be cooked!

--

JANA
_____

"machinesmith"  wrote in message
This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when you
open the door while its running what happens?
Reply to
JANA

I like that one! It is actually the eyes that go first, then it is the testicals. After that it is the kidneys, and then the liver.

--

JANA _____

Your balls get hot, and drop off ...

Arfa

Reply to
JANA

I had a trainee once plug in a microwave while the door switches were bypassed and my family jewels were in front of the cavity. My offspring haven't been horrible mutants but I can't say I wasn't worried. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Sounds like a recipe for some Arabic delicacy ...

First microwave the eyes, then the testicles. When tender and well cooked, add in the kidneys, and finally the liver.

Serve with a bladder of boiled urine.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If I remember correctly your innerds don't have any heat sensing nerves (only on the skin). So if you're standing in front of your modified microwave you could be cooking your insides without knowing it or worse you could be expanding internal gases :-) YUM YUM Ray J

Reply to
jfetr

Expanding gasses in the bowel can create a resonant cavity resulting in sparks - kablammo!!!

Reply to
ian field

You sure the missus didn't get some help elsewhere?!

Reply to
ian field

This is where the expression "Stick a fork in me, I think I'm done" came from.

Don't even think about it!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I opened the door on a crusty old microwave once and was surprised that it didn't shut off. I closed the door as soon as it registered in my brain that the thing was still running but I still got an instant headache.

Reply to
James Sweet

YUM!!

Reply to
Bob Parker

Not a very smart thing to do, but.....

There's an issue of distance. At a couple of feet, you're likely to feel warmth. Closer, and you will sense the RF as heat ranging somewhere from really hot to boiling the moisture and fat in your body. At about 4 feet from the opening of the waveguide, the levels are down to about 5 mw/cm3, which is the limit for a "controlled environment" Your eyes, and other "enclosed, fluid filled" organs are most sensitive. Short of having your head in the oven, it's likely that you'll move away from it before anything really serious happens, as it will feel like you're in .... well, an oven. I've read further down in the thread, and cancer was mentioned. While RF energy can cause damage as a result of exposure, cancer is NOT one of the results.

The other half of the equation is the electronic control panel for the oven. Exposing the panel to a bunch of RF from an open door oven is likely to give it a serious headache, and probably will put it to sleep, shutting down the RF, but, maybe not.

Reply to
Bob

Cataracts can occur at very low exposure rates!!!

Most people probably wouldn't experiment with their shiny new push button microwave, more likely they'd wire up the interlock on an old manual oven which would be easier to tamper with and less likely to fail due to RF energy!

Reply to
ian field

Both very true.... High levels of RF can pretty much instantly predispose you to developing cataracts. Cancer is not one of the after effects under any circumstances. Getting blasted with high level RF is not a good thing.

Reply to
Bob

feel

from

feet

mw/cm3,

your

sleep,

button

oven

Not meaning to argue, but I know of people exposed to cellular frequencies due to high phone usage (back years ago when analog was the technology) who did contract skin cancer of the ear. I don't think that the jury is completely in on the rf link to cancer. I do know that statistics show that people exposed to high doses of magnetic fields have higher incidences of leukemia. Again, the jury is still out. I think there is a lot to research here. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

-- Brian

"The First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between church and state, but that wall is a one directional wall; it keeps the government from running the church, but it makes sure that Christian principles will always stay in government." Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States, January 1, 1802 in an address to the Danbury Baptists.

Reply to
Brian O