OT: Political dead horse

People have different opinions. Since you asked, I'd say making any kind of noise during the service would be over the line. But holding signs and maybe a little interaction before or after, as people are walking - highly objectionable and counterproductive, but still allowable free speech, don't you think?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I've said it repeatedly before, I don't hate GWB, not even a little, but I DO hate what he's doing to our country, and I strongly disagree with your assessment of his actions.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. He puts out new lies to cover up the last, as they are exposed, and his supporters eat it up. All I can say, John, is may they be attacked by a swarm of nippy Chihuahuas. :->)

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Harassment is not protected by free speech rights; the psychopathic homophobes should be arrested. All it takes is for the aggrieved to call the law and file a complaint on the spot.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Did you notice the bonus story in that link, about a mystery man who broke into a woman's house for the purpose of leaving "erotic Indian art" on her computer as a screen-saver?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

In article , John Larkin wrote: [...]

Maybe, you get that impression because he is a much better liar. If we imagine that W was the perfect liar, his lies would never be discovered and thus he would appear to be perfectly honest.

When Mr. Bill waged his finger at the camera and said "I did not have sex with that woman ...", many people suspected right away that this was not the truth.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I respect the way W laid it on the line and admitted his crimes when he could have said "I did not have surveillance with that agency..."

Reply to
Richard Henry

In article , Richard Henry wrote: [.. Mr. Bill and Monica vs W ...]

In the process, he confirmed a story about sources and methods. The cat was already out of the bag but it would have been better form to refuse to confirm or deny the story. Some future president may wish he had.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

But now we are getting the elementary-school response of the bully when confronted with his crimes against fellow students: "Who's the tattle-tale? I'll get him!"

Reply to
Richard Henry

I agree, if the demonstration is beyond the line, the police should know how to judge this and take action if warrented.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Bill had enormous charisma and incredible political talents. Even when he was obviously lying to your face, you just *wanted* to believe him. I think that's why so many people admired him; he said all the right things, in his perfectly modulated voice... firm and manly, sage and thoughtful, cracking with heartfelt emotion, all perfectly timed.

Of course, many sociopaths have such talents. Too bad he had no principles... he might have done great things.

John

snipped-for-privacy@green.rahul.net (Ken Smith) wrote in news:dp781f$ql2$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net:

Well,the Jordanians are pissed at OBL/Zarquawi for that recent terror bombing in Jordan.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

What's the specific list she defends? Does it include the many artists, writers and actors whose careers were ruined by the McCarthy committee?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

snipped-for-privacy@green.rahul.net (Ken Smith) wrote in news:dp7880$ql2$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net:

They do not have to prove he had NOT been there,OBL has to prove that he had LIVED there.He would have to show residency,not just "visits". OBL is pretty much an outcast and unwelcome in Saudi Arabia,IIRC,he was exiled.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Dunno. Haven't read the book.

John

It is definitely a good town (esp for a family.) As I had implied, some of its best advantages are unimportant to me, but might be wonderful for others!!!

The kind of politicians that we generally have in Indiana are 'reasonable' whether one is GOPer or DEM (well, except for one of our House members, Julia Carson, who does pander too much.) The good thing about Julia is that she is more of a panderer/follower to/from the left rather than a viscerally dishonest person. Julia is actually a fairly good rep for her constituency, but is a little too far gone.

When I look 'outside' from generally centrist and even handed Indiana to certain loons (where I could consider that there are loons on the left or right), I end up being very disappointed that some of the loons are allowed any political power. I am even more disappointed that there are more than just a few loons running one of our major parties (the NATIONAL democrat party.)

A few loons or eccentrics aren't worrisome to me, but when a party (dems) is almost totally infested by the loons (and invests too much of its future into the loons), then any small chance that the loons could screw up our nation (worse than it already is) is frightening.

Right now, it is the Dems responsibility to start motivating the GOPers to clean up the messes. The big problem is that the Dems are even more screwed up than the GOP, and the GOP can get by with their current silliness. If there were more HHHs, Scoop Jacksons, RFK/JFK (not Teddy, he is a loon), and others from the past, then the Dems would be a damned good party compared to today.

Our only potential salvation for the near future is for the GOP to straighten up its act, or for the Dems to start taking their centrists and center/left more seriously. As it is, the current leadership of the Dem party (e.g H Dean and his ilk) are worse than almost any GOP probability.

As an opposition party, the Dems are acting too loony and too often the GOP gets its votes by default. This is probably what happened in the last election. Even today, where GWB needs a little sense knocked into him, the Dems are too far gone into the cosmos for those who are stuck in the real world.

There are too many cases (e.g. H Deans ongoing behavior, and Al Gore's apparent breakdown) where the sanity of the Dems and their leadership is beyond just being questionable, but is almost provably insane.

John

Reply to
John S. Dyson

Like Chalabi?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In article , Jim Yanik wrote: [....]

Given the amount of money the Bin Laden folks can put together and the fact that in places like that anything can be proved for enough money, the proof is the easy part.

The offical story has been for some time that OBL is unwelcome but, at least before 9/11, he tended to show up at peoples birthday parties and stuff. It wasn't like the family would turn him away or anything.

This is getting away from the point that he would still win an election.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith
[....]

He was also a "policy wonk" which meant that he rarely made huge blunders about that either. We was being compared more the Reagan than Bush #1 and looked better because of it. Bush #1 was fairly well informed about stuff.

The system is design to prevent people from doing "great things". Incremental change is what it is all about. This is why the senate terms lap the way that they do and the court is for life. It is about building drag into the system to prevent violent swings.

BTW: Some would argue that Bosnia was a "great thing" and that it showed he had principles. I think, it could also be seen as a great political act. He defended the sympathetic victims and didn't lose any troops in the process, an all around political master stroke.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I don't believe Mister Dubya is clever enough to be a liar. He's not even very good at reading the lines that they _do_ feed him.

The thing that really frightens me is, who's behind the scenes pulling his strings?

Thanks, Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to

Yup, it's a religion.

Or, more accurately, a cult.

Thanks, Rich