Spreading "stain" on Toshiba flat screen TV

Greetings All, My neighbor has a 10 year oldToshiba flat screen TV that has what appears to be a translucent stain, though that's not what it is, on the outer surface of the display. Whatever is going on is happening in the TV's internals. When looking at the display it almost looks like someone spilled really dark coffee on the thing, or sort of like looking at part of the display through a dark grey cloud. The shape is amorphous, started about a year ago, and is slowly spreading. Right now it occludes about 20% of the display. It is not the same darkness all over. So the brightness of the display varies where the "stain" is. It is not a plasma. I forgot to get the model number last night and will try to get it in the next day or two. Any suggestions where to look or what to look for? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

The way you describe it, it is almost certainly the panel itself. Costs more than the TV.

These things are driven in columns and rows, it is very unlikely to get a random shape effect like that due to a fault in the electronics.

A picture would be nice, just to confirm it.

Reply to
jurb6006

Any sign of insect activity in there?

Reply to
N_Cook

I'd bet the seal is busted and it's water getting in there. Good place to look is Best Buy...or Fry's, or any place that sells new TV's.

Reply to
mike

I had one like that turned out it was getting very bright sun shining on that bit of screen. Removed it to a different position mark has all but disappeated !

Reply to
kn333l64