lcd flat screen monitor problem

My ProView Model 780 flat screen LCD monitor quit one day while being used.

The 12v supply is still good, and getting to the monitor, as indicated by the little green LED lite on the power switch on the front.

A guy in this group helping me said a common failure mode in these is a very small fuse inside the case. Makes sense. I was going to check this fuse, and attempted to take the monitor apart to gain access. Then, I got interrupted and had to focus on other things. I'm now back to the monitor project.

I got the back of the case off, no problem. But, I didn't spot anything that was obviously a fuse at that point. So, I assumed I would need to lift up the board at the bottom, and maybe even the LCD panel.

Anyone know where the fuse is likely to be, and what things I'll have to take apart to find it?

Reply to
RB

The fuses (plural) in question are on the backlight inverter board. They will be surface mount fuses that are approximately 0.062-.125 inches long. Each backlight inverter circuit on the board (count the transformers) will probably have a fuse on the power line going to that part of the circuit. If any of the inverters does not run, the whole thing shuts down.

Most of the monitors will restart the inverters during screen resolution change, and you may see a short flash of video for less than a second. This is the common symptom when one of the inverter fuses opens up on a multi-inverter, multi-lamp unit.

If you are not equipped and experienced working with the ultra small surface mount components, you may want to practice and get the correct soldering iron tip and solder for the job.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Thanks very much. That is good info, and I can use it.

In addition, I need to know if those fuses will be visible just by taking the back off the monitor case? Or, will I have to lift up some circuit boards at the bottom of the screen?

Sounds like maybe the fuses will be visible just by removing the back of the case.

Reply to
RB

The fuses (plural) in question are on the backlight inverter board.

the

that

whole

than

fuses

small

correct

How can I determine the amperage size of these small fuses? TThanks Foz

Reply to
Fozj