OT My second electric bike

Just show DeWalt what can be done with chainsaws: and suggest that they can do the same with a dozen electric drills on a tandem or recumbent bicycle. Such things are totally useless but do attract considerable attention. There have also been other drill powered bicycles: but I can't seem to find anything on the scale of the chainsaw motorcycles. Yeah, bigger is better.

Don't forget about electric drill powered robots: and walking machines: all of which should burn out, errr... sell, a fair number of drill motors.

Maybe a book on 100 ways to misuse your electric drill. I guess this should be on the cover:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I've got the UT70B version and have found the RS232 comms feature useful for data logging on a number of occasions. Looks just like the one you linked to. I used to write Windows software for force and torque testing equipment so just modified a version of that to capture and graph the readings.

Reply to
David Billington

There are digital ammeters that can read current in the positive leg, using isolated power supplies. I have an XL5135-DCA20A powered from a wall wart..

The 5V supply floats to 3V above and 2V below the input from the shunt, so it can read both positive and negative currents without exceeding its common mode range.

I bought some of these and checked that they work, but haven't tried them with a meter yet:

"One of well known application is to apply this module to a digital current meter to avoid common ground effect, especially for automobile such as a car, a boat, and a bike."

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Chainsaw airplanes?

"...the prototype had two chainsaw engines that produced a total of 11 hp (8.2 kW)."

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I wrote a QBasic program to capture the data, intending to command an external low voltage disconnect relay over the parallel port which QBasic under DOS gives full I/O-register-level control over. Windows periodically grabs the port to poll for an attached printer.

However it's easier to use a solar panel controller as the automatic battery low voltage load disconnect and log data with the meter's included Windows program. I can run up to four meter programs on COM1-4 and combine their separate data logs in Excel by aligning the time stamps.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

When he gets 1000 miles on it we'll see. And it's a pretty crappy installation with the drill sticking out the side

Reply to
clare

And you still have an "illegal motorcycle" when you are done. It's not a legal elecrtric assist bycycle - and since it doesn't have dot approved tires and proper brakes it's not a motorcycle. You also don't have DOT approved lighting or anything else required to make it either a motorcycle or a scooter - and without pedals it's not a moped.

It's just an abortion - a useless toy that is illegal to use on the road.

Reply to
clare

He needs this hanging behind the seat as a backup in case the DeWALT fails:

Jim Wilkins

Thanks. Those will be a big help. I ran into the positive ground problem trying to use a combined V/A meter in a benchtop power supply. I ended up punching a 2nd hole in the box, and using separate volt and amp LED meters. The voltmeter wasn't a problem, but I had to build a small isolated power supply for the ammeter.

I can also be a problem with solar panels, where code demands that one power wire be at earth ground potential. The panel power lines can be floating for 12 and 24V systems, but need to be grounded for anything running on a higher voltage, which is just about everything: Fortunately, most places where I needed to add metering and monitoring are 12V RV systems, which are not a problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

There's no "may" about it, and nothing "new" either, Mr. Phony Electronics Tech.

Reply to
Frogs

That's a data sheet for an AC V/A meter, not DC. The drill motor is powered by DC.

Incidentally, there are also self powered DC voltmeters such as: There are applications where it's not necessary to measure down to zero volts and where a 2.5v - 30v range is acceptable. However, that does nothing for the ammeter, which will not run on the millivolts produced across the shunt resistor.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

clare snyder.on.ca wrote in news:34oolbldkf1lvh9799sbj2a2p6vkijidvi 4ax.com:

Reply to
John Doe

Scroll down, the DC meter is there too. "This diagram shows the connection of Xieli XL5135 series DC panel meter."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've handled older drills than that...

I'm sure a namebrand cordless drill is more reliable than the equivalent electric bike parts. And the rest of the bike is made efficient to the extreme.

Reply to
John Doe

ier-le-queinec.jpg

treme.

a cheap consumer tool build from plastic with sintered gears intended for i ntermitted use more reliable than a hubmotor with zero moving parts?

not in this world

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I really don't care about their approval. I don't need it. What I want to know is if they'll spray their coffee all over their keyboards. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Reply to

Dunno about marketing types, but the repair department has undoubtedly seen everything imaginable, and may have a museum collection.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 12:42:23 -0000 (UTC), John Doe Gave us:

Bullshit. You are an unintelligent dolt.

Humans can produce about 1.2 HP for a very short burst period. They can typically produce about 0.1 HP steady state... and go for miles... at several tens of miles an hour.

If your inane drill motor and battery setup cannot do that, it is a foolish endeavor.

There are plenty of REAL solutions already in the channel and you can buy the raw motor and attach it any way you like if you have some lame idiot thing against pre-designed solutions.

Do some math for a change, punk.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 13:02:51 -0700, Gunner Asch Gave us:

Where did anyone say a damned thing about "induction meters"?

Most modern meters are DVMs.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 13:04:34 -0700, Gunner Asch Gave us:

You're an idiot. I have several down in the lab right now and also have current clamps for levels above what the baseline meter can handle.

You are batting -1000, child.