How it works: Electric spark of the ligthers

Anyone know how it works, how it's created that spark found on the lighters, cigarette lighter and on the stove ligthter. like the beating of two metals

thanks.

Reply to
Tobias Gadelha

rs, cigarette lighter and on the stove ligthter. like the beating of two me= tals

Vell, you've got your flint on steel and then some piezo HV sparkers.

George H. did ya try google?

Reply to
George Herold

I correct my question. I want know some technical data as the output voltage, if it is possible to use in electrical circuits and if someone has already built some experience using the spark. Anyone have any comments about it.

Reply to
Tobias Gadelha

Flint (aka quartz) on steel is NOT how lighters work: the non-steel bit is a mischmetal (rare earth) compound that is ever-so-slightly pyrophoric.

The piezoelectric types use stressed ceramic elements, I think... and you can buy an igniter for testing anywhere BBQ grills are sold (the spark assembly is a common replacement item).

Reply to
whit3rd

Piezos are used as the "needle" in cheap record players. The forces there only generate millivolts.

Most people start with an *application* and look for a gadget to do that. You are trying to back into the process. I think this is called Materials Engineering. ...or maybe Marketing.

Reply to
JeffM

Piezos are used as the "needle" in cheap record players. The forces there only generate millivolts.

Most people start with an *application* and look for a gadget to do that. You are trying to back into the process. I think this is called Materials Engineering. ...or maybe Marketing.

I doubt you could make anything out of an electric spark lighter, excepted maybe a prank shocker.

Reply to
Shaun

ESD tester?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Discwasher used to sell a handheld air ionizer based on a corona point attached to a piezo element--you pulled on the handle and it sprayed ionized air.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

use in electrical circuits and if someone has already built some experience using the spark.

test and measure. About 1 kV /mm.

--
pim.
Reply to

cigarette lighter and on the stove ligthter. like the beating of two metals

Like this?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

cigarette lighter and on the stove ligthter. like the beating of two metals

Or like this?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

They are used for igniting the charge of spud cannons.

I use one to check the operation and sensitivity of a lightening detector.

With all I'm reading about "energy harvesting" it might be practical to hack one with something like a pair of masses to work on the pile and use vibration to generate power.

Seismic detectors? Driveway alert?

Killer phono cartridge. Maybe operate a transformer/speaker with no amplifier. Impractical due to weight for sure.

I seem to remember the old crystal cartridges to output in the 100++ millivolt range and magnetic to be an order of magnitude lower.

Reply to
default

Very good this answer, I don't found a material like this when I seached in portuguese in Brazil. Really very interesting Thank you.

Reply to
Tobias Gadelha

in portuguese in Brazil. Really very =A0interesting Thank you.

For piezoelectric sparkers, search also on

"Lead Zirconate Titanate" also called "PZT ceramic". "piezo ceramic" "piezo energy harvesting"

One source of small quantities has been the eBay page of

.com/ See their product "piezo bimorph" also "piezo generator"

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com

amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-762-3818 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci

Reply to
wbeaty