OT: More Win7 Aggravations

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:58:09 +1000, Adrian Jansen Gave us:

Oh boy! You're so clever, child.

bits? So you're a brit twit. Go play with your 'kit' and pop some zits, dipshit.

Oh boy! You're such a clever child... NOT!

Except I set my machines up so they cannot "do whatever they want" Can you really be that stupid, or do you use your machine exactly as it was when mum bought it for you?

Use your brain, child Mr. Hobbs is not referring to 'the most current operating system', nor does he use it. He was referencing HARDWARE, or are you also in the dark as to what "Intel" refers to?

Nice try though, chump. Give mummy back her machine now..

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

(5AM and I can't sleep. Hopefully I'm somewhat coherent).

Disabling WoL (Wake on LAN) isn't going to do anything useful: "AMT's code is executed by an independent processor that is located in the chipset (a vPro-compatible MCH), AMT's memory is separated from the host memory (isolation enforced by the chipset), AMT code has a dedicated link to the network card (independent of the host OS and drivers), and, last but not least, the AMT is active even if the computer is put into a sleep mode (S3 state)." In other words, you can kill WoL and put the CPU to sleep, but AMT is still alive and functioning in the VPro chipset.

Only the paranoid survive.

I don't do much security work any more. The problem is not the hackers and exploits. It's the customers that don't understand that they are part of the security equation. For example, one financial services customer insists on isolated and security certified computers, yet refuses to abandon his "same password for everything" habit. Someone else can play Sisyphus with security:

I'm not sure that will help. The problem is in the vPro chipset and motherboard architecture. Although it doesn't help when your using the machine, or with laptops, moving the +5VSB (violet, always on) line on the power supply to the switchable +5V ATX PS output, will reduce the exposure time on desktops. LibreBoot seems to only support a few devices: I've used SeaBIOS and Coreboot images on Acer C720 Chromebooks successfully, but have never bothered to investigate AMT issues:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

[snip]

I ran across this discussion regarding PaintShopPro...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/PaintShopProX5.Image/shell/Open/command

The value is: "c:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel PaintShop Pro X5\Corel PaintShop Pro.exe" "%1"

I would change the value to

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel PaintShop Pro X5\Corel PaintShop Pro.exe" /dde "%1"

Could this be the solution for PSpice Schematic Editor? ...Jim Thompson

I was just going to tell you that.

Practice your advice, please.

Jmaie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Heres the pspice registry entry for sch files Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH] @="PSpice Schematics Schematic" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\DefaultIcon] @="c:\\orcad_demo\\PSpice\\dm_eng.dll,21" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell] @="open" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open] @="Open" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\command] @="\"c:\\orcad_demo\\PSpice\\psched.exe\"" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\ddeexec] @="[open(\"%1\")]" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\ddeexec\application] @="psched"

You may have to register psched.exe , regsvr32 psched.exe

I'll get a list of keys later.

Martin Riddle

So I do just Run, regsvr32 psched.exe ??

No path? The Win7 is 64-bit, but I presume regsvr32 is appropriate for psched? ...Jim Thompson

if it has a dde server entry point in it, it will register. Yes, you need the path "c:\program files (x86)\orcad\BLAH BLAH\psched.exe"

A dialog will popup if there is no entry point.

Martin Riddle

He's a lot cleverer that you are - though that's pretty faint praise.

Do try to learn who you can get away with being rude about, and who being rude about reveals your own - numerous - inadequacies.

You are aren't a total moron. Do try to avoid setting up situations where you look like one.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

What is the proper sequence of events... make sure all registry entries are there, then register psched? ...Jim Thompson

There is no entry point in psched.exe, I just checked. But there is one in psp_wobj.dll At least in the 9.1 demo I have.

You need to restart if you update the registry.

Martin Riddle

So register psp_wobj.dll ???

Pardon my ignorance, but I only _use_ computers :-[

I know that... but not much else ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 08:15:38 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Ain't that the truth!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'll get a list of registry keys tonight. For the 9.1 demo at least. I see that some keys do us psched.exe /dde, so you might not have to register anything.

Martin Riddle

Lots of keys associated with pspice ;(

But here is my registry entry for .sch files [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.SCH] @="PSpice.Schematics.SCH"

And here is the entry for Pspice.Schematics.SCH [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH] @="PSpice Schematics Schematic"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\DefaultIcon] @="c:\\orcad_demo\\PSpice\\dm_eng.dll,21" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell] @="open" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open] @="Open" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\command] @="\"c:\\orcad_demo\\PSpice\\psched.exe\"" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\ddeexec] @="[open(\"%1\")]" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\ddeexec\application] @="psched"

This has the ddeexec entry for open. Obvioulsy you need to change the path. I would check your registry for this entry and see if it exists. You can add it if you like.

Just add a header...

********************************************** Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH] @="PSpice Schematics Schematic" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\DefaultIcon] @="c:\\orcad_demo\\PSpice\\dm_eng.dll,21" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell] @="open" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open] @="Open" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\command] @="\"c:\\orcad_demo\\PSpice\\psched.exe\"" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\ddeexec] @="[open(\"%1\")]" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PSpice.Schematics.SCH\shell\open\ddeexec\application] @="psched" **********************************************

Cut and past between the ****** lines and call it a .reg file. When you click on it, you can import it into the registry.

Martin Riddle

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

All imported successfully, but still no joy.

Any other ideas to get dde to work?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Drats. You did change the paths?

I am going to copy a install to a VM and see what is needed to get it to work.

Hopefully my demo is not that much differnt.

It might take some time to fiddle with this.

Martin Riddle

Yep. I even meticulously compared XP registry setting to Win7, so I don't know what I'm missing.

No problem. I'm functional with PSpice, not just esthetically pleased ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I havent loaded a VM yet, but did you try to run psched as an administrator? Right click->properties Compatibility tab check Run this program as an adminstrator.

Start the program from that link, then try to click on the files in explorer.

Martin Riddle