More on more battery...

George - I just finsihed the quest for a simple battery charger that you are enterring! Power zeners didn't work for me either and for the same reasons. I tried the LM317 a couple of different ways. It worked but not well. The results appeared to show too much effective series resistance in the LM317's output. From a later view, I suspect use of caps to provide a dc source was the basic cause. Basically, the final version assumes the transformer provides the current and choice of the 12v ac transformer specifies the current and the current limit. Now, the transistors do nothing but limit the output voltage.

13.0 volts sets the final current limit from the battery's point of view. for the circuit components (...): a bridge rectifer from said transformer connects to the +&- rails. a pnp to220 (Tip42) device's emiter connects to the + rail a 1k resistor connects from the + rail to the pnp base the pnp collector connects to a 1n4002 diode. the other end of the 1n4002 goes to the output. the collector of a 2n3904 npn to92 device connects to the base of the pnp device. the npn emitter connects to a small schottky diode and the other end of the diode connects to the output. a 220 ohm resistor is connected to the + rail and the other end connects to a 15v zener. the other end of the zener connects to the - rail which is also the negative output. from the zener/220 ohm junction a 100 ohm resistor connects to the base of the npn device. From the base of the npn device a 1.8k resister connects to the - rail. That should do it. The 1.8k resister does some fine tuneing to 13.0 volts. The circuit basically tracks the up&down of the rectified 60 cycle so be carefull to not put a capacitor in the circuit. The battery (this is lead acid) does the deciding as far as current goes and 13.0 volts seems to saturate at ~0.1 amp with the voltage returning to ~12.6 after the charger is removed.

Hul

-------------------------------------------------------------- From: George Herold snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 09:25:01 -0800 (PST) Subject: More battery charger, voltage shunt reference.

Hi all, this is mostly a continuation of CD's solar battery charger thread. I was thinking of using a power zener as a shunt reference... but this has some problems. I think #1 is that as the zener sucks up the power it will warm and go up in voltage... which is exactly the opposite of what I want. So how about a zener turning on a power npn. I think someone mentioned this idea in the previous thread, but I couldn't find it in a quick rescan. Maybe the TL431? Anyway I drew this,

Power npn across the rails, with base feed by zener and some series diodes and maybe led and ?10 ohm base R. Then two or three diodes from base to emitter to protect b-e when it turns on. And maybe a collector resistor. ~50 ohms 3-5 watts I'd like the shunt to turn on at 13.5 Volts at room temp. with a negative tempco.. less voltage at high temp. I'd like some knob (pot) to tweak the voltage. I was thinking if I used diode connected transistor (as part of diode chain) I could put a little bit of R in the c-b connection... that seems like a beta dependent tweak. Which might be OK if beta goes down as the temperature goes up. But maybe there is a better way. Ideas?

George H.

Reply to
Hul Tytus

There is ~1.2-1.5 of 'drop out' voltage with the lm317 (So you've got to keep the input above that for it to regulate..) Hmm you could maybe, someway have the lm317 turn off a pass transistor (pfet or pnp) .

Hmm Well a picture (scribbled and posted to some image site.) would be a big help.

Nice, I've got parts on order and will post something... Turning off a pfet when the voltage gets high enough is probably better than my voltage shunt thing... it doesn't have the same power limits. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

George - good luck. Let know how it works.

Hul

George Herold snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

George, is this sort of a one-off thing or are planning on many? The reason I ask is that we are selling controllers for LED matrix signs and a side job for the controller is to keep the battery charged from the panel. We know that our end user will reverse the panel or battery or both when installing. So we built in as much protection as we could muster. If yours is a one-off and you are the one designing and building the thing, your circuit can be much simpler than ours.

You can regulate the charge to the battery with either a series or shunt switch. The panel, after all, is just a variable current source so a shunt NFET switch would work if it has a low Rds. But a low Rds is also required for a PFET.

I can create a very simple shunt switch in LTSpice for your perusal if you wish. Just let me know.

Reply to
John S

One of, but thanks I don't need any help at the moment. GH

Reply to
George Herold