OT. More Government

Shame on you American Taxpayers, you have your heads up your asses! It has always been my contention that if you are on welfare you should not have cable television or a cell phone. I saw a billboard this morning that said free cell phone. I had to look it up

SAFELINK WIRELESS® service is U.S. government supported program for Income eligible households provided by TracFone Wireless, Inc. In order to participate in the SAFELINK WIRELESS® service, persons must meet certain eligibility requirements set by each State where the service is to be provided. These requirements are based on a person's participation in a state or Federal support programs or by meeting the Income Poverty Guidelines as defined by the U.S. Government.

And just look what else: In our version of the program, you will receive free cellular service, a free SafeLink Wireless cell phone and the assurance that you will get no bills and no contracts EVER! Wow!!

WTF is happening, Mike, pissed off

Reply to
amdx

You ain't seen nuttin' yet. Wait until Obama is elected. The good part is, when Obama taxes those "rich guys" making over $250K, the resulting layoffs, by small businesses who can no longer make payroll, will cause a depression.

...Jim Thompson

Why pissed off? A low-end cell phone costs, what, $30 these days?, and the incremental cost of providing service is essentially free.

Old people need cell phones for health and safety reasons. Job hunters and part-time workers can benefit too. Parents can better track their kids. It's not as if there are any usable pay phones around any more.

If 75% of the people who get the free phones don't really need them, so what? On the grand scale of things, this is very small potatoes.

Plus, "persons must meet certain eligibility requirements."

If you scour the internet enough, you can find plenty of stuff to keep you full-time pissed-off. Relax and enjoy what you have.

John

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

check out Obama's Global Poverty Initiative. That is a DOOZY of a welfare program,for the entire world.

Global Welfare;brought to you by BHO and his merry band of Commies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Right. I've been telling anyone who will listen we will head right into a depression if he is elected. Crap it sure is getting scary. Debate last night McCain seem totally out of it. Doom Doom Doom

Reply to
Eric

On Oct 8, 11:54=EF=BF=BDam, Jim Thompson

=BDThe good

Those same small business you claim will cut jobs after the tax increase, are not now adding jobs without it. I think that pretty much destroys your argument.

Reply to
mpm

What business is it of yours?

Go away and be pissed off elsewhere.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Oops, didn't finish link

amdx

ses!

or Income

certain

You might as well as drug companies to your list then. They too offer "free, or nearly free" medications to stave off congressional intervention into their pricing.

Ditto for WalMart, which (among other retailers) offer "hundreds of prescriptions" at $4 for a 30-day supply (or some variation on that theme). They then tout how much $$ folks are saving as a result.

Problem is: While it's "hundreds of prescriptions", it's not hundreds of actual drugs because each dose and pill type (pill, liquid, etc..) is counted as a separate "prescription". So a 50mg tablet, a 100 mg tablet, and a 200 mg tablet of the SAME drug count as three towards the claim!

Also, at $4, who's really saving? A lot of people have insurance, with co-pays that are greater than this amount. In a way, you're making people pay for what they're not getting (think about it).

Finally, of those $4 prescriptions (in all their many forms), you can bet the majority of them are cheap medications to begin with. I'm sure the more expensive medications are NOT included in the plans. Bottom line: The dollars that are claimed to have been saved by consumers is mostly comprised of "funny money".

So when it comes to tax write-offs for these carriers providing "free, or nearly free" cell phone service to.... Well, you get the idea.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

ht into

=EF=BF=BDDebate

I didn't think McCain's performance was all that bad in last night's debate. I do believe the poll numbers going into set the stage for high expectations for diehard Republican supporters.

The truth is: The fix is in. No matter who gets elected, the next several years could be pretty tough. The only saving plan, in my opinion, is to get the country back on a growth/productive path.

Frankly, I think the Democrats have a better plan for that going forward. Plus, McCain is just simply too damn old. He missed his chance in

2000 I think. And, we almost assuredly would have been better off with McCain over Bush.(?)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

I'm a taxpayer, that's why it's my business. It's just one more government, cradle to grave , I'll take care of you, take from the doers and give to those that don't program. If you want a government program teach people the attitude to take care of themselves. Immigrants come here and make a good life for themselves, but to many citizens don't have what it takes. A can do attitude and hard work. Mike

I was at the grocery store the other day, had someone at the front of the line, running there welfare card through the machine, it didn't work, tried several times, poked in a pin #, the cashier tried the card, then the manager got involved. It was bad enough I had to wait, for her, but I had to wait for her to spend my money! Oh, I know the poor baby probably had four hungry children at home, but she did pay cash for her cigarettes. I once saw a guy use three different welfare cards for a lot of groceries. The cashier would ring for a while he'd say ok, then run a card. Ring some more and another card. At the end he said stop, left two gallons of milk on the belt and bought two twelve packs of beer with cash. I can't help but think the kids might have drank the milk if he had bought it. But he didn't.

Reply to
amdx

So you think Walmart should supply 30 day's supply of hundreds of drugs for $4 ?

WalMart's offering 30 day's supply of various common Rx drugs for $4 each. And you think that isn't a savings?

Geeez. Last year I paid $80 for a snootier equivalent to something Walmart now has for $4.

I don't understand the knee-jerk bashing. Walmart's doing a good thing, and others are now doing it too--that's competition, keeping prices down.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

(1) Don Bowey is part of the problem... killfile him (I have)

(2) The real crime is that those "welfare cards" were probably _sold_ to the guy by someone faking welfare to obtain them... otherwise why multiple cards?

(3) This whole thing will come to a screeching halt when there's no one left to tax.

...Jim Thompson

Agreed. Walmart/Sam's Club has (AFAICT) _all_ generics for $4, and has lower prices by at least 15% for non-generics.

Sam's Club is out-of-my-way, but I sacrifice... saves me ~$30 per month ;-)

Note: "mpm" is also part of the problem... shun him.

...Jim Thompson

ot

come

in

You're right. We use a Cingular/AT&T GoPhone plan, something like $25 every 3 months, with rollover minutes.

Don't forget, all cell phone providers have to provide 911 service, even if the contract/plan has expired. Some organizations collect old unused cell phones, so they can give them to the elderly for 911 use only.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

ome

More useful information:

=3DAMOV

What country are you in? Isn't your government assisting your banks as well?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

If you were poor and had no or bad health insurance, and you needed a generic drug for your blood pressure or some unpleasant chronic problem, you'd be delighted to get it for $4 a month. I sure would.

Wal-Mart is great.

John

ng

No. I'm not saying WalMart is evil. I'm saying they are intentionally misleading folks.

For the vast majority of prescriptions filled there, the dollars savings touted on their commercials simply don't add up. If insurance is paying for the drugs, YOU are not saving anything (especially if you have a copay that higher than the drug price). -- and you can bet WalMart is charing the FULL price to your insurance, basically subsidizing the whole program in the first place. (And guess who ends up paying those higher premiums...?)

You can also bet your "snootier" drug (non-generic) is NOT on their $4 list. Whatever the generic is, it's very likely available from some other retailer for about the same price, even without a WalMart-equivalent program.

I mean, technically, what they say is probably true, but lift the kimono and there's nothing under there...

I get so tired of "spin". Stupid people eat it up though...

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

What always surprises me is how happy the staff always seem to be, and they go out of their way to be helpful. I suspect that Walmart/Sam's Club must be a very good place to work.

...Jim Thompson

nd

Jim,

You're just too stupid to understand this, I guess. And of all the folks here, I would definitely have picked you as someone hard to fool.

Let me gather up the facts and I'll get back with you.

In the meantime, enjoy those $4 pills, and all the "funny money" you think you are "saving". :)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm