OT: More Win7 Aggravations

More Win7 Aggravations....

(1) Solved... Screensaver wouldn't run. Choosing a screensaver apparently fails to set...

HK_Current_user\control panel\Desktop -> ScreenSaverActive = 1

Manually edit registry and it plays properly.

(2) Copy _as_ Path puts frigging quotes around the path which most programs barf over when you paste that into an "open". An old utility I used in WinXP, ClipPath, doesn't play in Win7.

(3) In WinXP double clicking a PSpice schematic file (in Explorer) would open the PSpice schematic editor and load that schematic. Clicking on a second schematic (in Explorer) would load that second file as well (in an new window in the schematic editor).

In Win7, the first file is loaded... the second double-click just brings the editor back up, but doesn't load the second file... a royal PITA.

Any ideas on how to fix (2) and (3)?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Solved...

Right click only, no shift needed, no quotes.

...Jim Thompson

Why spend so much effort to optimize a spyware OS?

I'm switching everything to LibreBoot BIOS / CentOS Linux / VirtualBox VMs for XP, OS/2, and other Linices. The VMs can access selected host directories mounted read-only via BIND, using SSH. They have a userid each, with minimal permissions, and the host directories are mounted to a subdir of their home directories. From the host, I can copy stuff to and from the home directories, but it's hard for malware on the VMs to screw up the host.

VirtualBox has a very nice snapshot utility, too.

I've also got several Netgear routers with open-source brain transplants, running separate networks for my server and the guest network.

There are probably things I'm missing, but with MS now saying that they can read anything or everything on my HDD and share it with whomever they deem "necessary", I would be breaking various protective orders and NDAs if I didn't make a reasonable effort.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I terminated "updating" and cleansed all offending KBxxxxx crap. ...Jim Thompson

You hope.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I watch for anyone discovering another hole, but it appears that Micro$hit just started this in a big way only recently, so there were only ~6 KBxxxxx crap deployed.

Foxit PhantomPDF evaluation copy wasn't set to expire until Oct 5, but I got an E-mail this morning offering a 35% discount, one day only, so I jumped on it... $57.85 for better performance than Adobe ;-) ...Jim Thompson

#3 is apparently DDE, Dynamic data exchange. The app should register itself as a DDE server. This way you wont wind up running two instances of the App. ( which pspice does not want to do ) The DDE will tell the app to open another document, using DDE commands instead of pspice %1.

I think they broke it in win7, or your registry keys were not setup correctly. Did you run the install as an administrator?

Martin Riddle

I think I setup as admin... I certainly am shown as with such privileges.

Is there a way to fix in registry? ...Jim Thompson

I've seen it with the student version of capture 9.2, never really though about it, until now. I'll experiment.

Martin Riddle

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 17:13:12 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

through the local group policy editor: Hit the windows button and "R" at the same time. (no need to be capitalized)

This brings up the run dialog.

Enter gpedit.msc to run the group policy editor then navigate to:

User Configuration Administrative Templates Control Panel Personalization

There, you will find "prevent changing screen saver" to lock it in at a specific screen saver, even through theme changes which normally reset it. and a whole bunch of other "personal" settings for your "desktop experience".

Be mindful of the variable type as in hex or ascii, logical, etc.

Have fun claiming I am wrong again.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 21:42:30 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Gave us:

snip

SPEED that old, stale system up!

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Those are MicroAggressions.

I know that the PSpice installer didn't register a path to the license file... manually inserting that fixed the no-run issue.

How would I manually register PSpice Schematics as a DDE server?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:40:03 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Turning OFF "Wake on LAN" indeed does turn off the capacity. (at least on my brand of motherboard). Turning off the LAN port completely does indeed turn them off completely. Leaving the cable NOT plugged in solves it to an even finer degree.

But using the USB attached wifi device keeps them out as well, and that can also be disabled when the machine is off, or unplugged for certainty.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

How does that work? Details please. and

Reply to
mike

Ihavent figured it out yet. I'll try tonight. The plan is to get a VM of XP running and install capture (student). And then take it from there. With out the DDE command for the Open and Edit associations, registering any programs as a DDE server will not do much.

Martin Riddle

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

But we have this thing called the Internet, which has some very useful bits in it. At some point you might want to use it. And as soon as you make the connection, its open slather for anyone with the capability to do whatever they want, the way the current most common operating system is set up.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

So I installed Capture and Schematics. Since I had an association .sch with eagle , the setup did not make the dde association. And Pspice only opened one sch file.

What I did was searched the registry with regedit and deleted the .sch keys. And some Pspice related Keys. You need to repeat this for .mvl and .slb The setup will tell you if the association is taken, and does not modify it. So you need to remove all references to the ext's that will be associated by the installer.

This next part maybe key, dde is depreciated in win7.... Right click on the Setup.exe and set it for XP SP3 compatibility mode and ran it again. (even if its on a CD)

It setup the ddexe keys and pspice now opens more than one sch file when the psched.exe is open.

If you want I can list the keys to delete.

Martin Riddle
[snip]

Yes, Please! Thanks! ...Jim Thompson