OT: Large LCD monitors for PC

Yes.

Huh? Must be going to cheap theaters. AMC theater here is fantastic. ...Jim Thompson

[...]

No chance because the software isn't available in source code.

[...]

Well, now I have 16:9. Love it! Two reasons: I mainly review RF and switcher layouts and these tend to stretch left to right a lot. Then when designing I can keep Word and CAD docs open next to each other without having to swivel my neck between two monitors.

If I had the space I'd do the same. Ok, my desk is angled and huge but I need lots of space for books and papers, plus another computer to my left.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

OK, then my hands are tied. I must use Windows because of the various softwares that require it.

Right now I am happy with 1080 lines. This is a giant step away from how I started, with an amber 10" or 12" monitor at CGA-resolution. My Wang laptop back then had a non-backlit LCD with 200 lines and I did huge schematic on that. No mouse, just with keys, but it did have a built-in thermal paper printer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Well, what'cha gonna do? I don't want to drive all the way to the Bay Area to see a movie. I think our theaters are called Signature or something.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Given enough time we might be able to deduce the source code from the executable, though. Just wait... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

problem

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

problem

Buy software from someone with a clue. ;-)

It's better than a CRT. Sure it's a big step, for you.

Priorities. My books and papers go in front of the monitors.

KVM switch or networking, if you insist on two computers.

Reply to
krw

problem

Afraid they are too small for the monitor I've got right now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

problem

I think Mike Engelhardt and his team are among the people with the highest clue levels when it comes to writing software. In contrast to some CAD programmers, you know what I mean :-)

Not in all respects is it better than a CRT. But yeah, the size is almost ideal for the work I typically do.

Now mine can do so, too. But a 3ft by 4ft vellum sheet from a client can't.

No need to. They can access the same file server and I can display stuff wherever needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Once I modified an executable with some guys watching. I forgot why, IIRC it hung up something on a graphics card back in the early 90's. Their SW chief looked on in disgust and exclaimed "I think I'm gonna get sick!"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

problem

schematics

Looks like Aaron's set-up... 4 x 24" monitors ...Jim Thompson

[...]

schematics

IOW, a real nerd tower :-)

Even air traffic controllers don't have such screen sizes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

schematics

You obviously don't watch the CSI sorts of shows. ;-)

Reply to
krw

problem

Well, I'd certainly agree that there are many degrees of cluelessness. ;-) OTOH, schematics don't have all that many diagonal lines. I do wish the text was put in the same place no matter the magnification, though.

It's like pulling teeth to get you to admit to that much, so... ;-)

schematics

Bring them up to at least the 20th century, too. ;-)

You can do the same with VNC sorts of things, too, though even moreso.

Reply to
krw

schematics

simulation.

No, definitely not. Enough bloodshed in the news as it is. We only watch the occasional older movie.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

problem

I do lots of layout reviews of the more critical kind, meaning lots of odd shapes, traces, round bends and so on. The most recent one was this morning, next on starts right now.

[...]

They are in the 21th century. What happens a lot is that there's an older design dating back almost to the Romans. The client wants me to modernize it, put uC control on, some extra features. Oh, while at it, reduce the cost 30% or so. Some of this stuff hasn't seen CAD, ever.

Got to be careful with that, security-wise. But what I really like about the two-computer setup is that when one crashes I can continue on the other until reboot/unfreeze is done. Although that has pretty much solved itself after I ditched Adobe and went to Foxit. No more crashes. Downside is, no more thumbnail view for PDF files either because Foxit doesn't have that. There's always a price to pay.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You can debug a program with one LED too, but comparing the value of your time to the cost of hardware, there's no excuse for any professional not to have the most suitable computer, especially displays. Sounds like you've happily joined the 21st century; welcome!

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Some of the oldest recollections I have of people with 4+ monitors all connected to one PC were stock traders... those guys would pay to have their entire walls covered with graphs and text and news, I guess!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, some of those are a bit weird. I wonder what the average lifetime of a stock trader is. I mean from birth until the last heart attack.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

schematics

Aaron is monitoring multiple _network_ traffic. ...Jim Thompson