OT: Large LCD monitors for PC

Wow! Now that's what I call a work station. But I don't quite have the space for that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

I have that, sort of. A seperate computer (laptop) to my left, networked, so I can pick the corresponding module spec or schematic from the same server. But that doesn't help much in layout reviews, there it needs to be all on one large screen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Here's my set-up:

...Jim Thompson

That's what Michael was also hinting at but how does one find out?

Windows has been dumbed down quite a bit, probably at least in part by an OEM process. Same with BIOSes. I have the G33 chipset in there and it seems it supports these formats:

Says "640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200 and 1600x900"

Oh, and the PC manuals are dumbed down as well. In the 80's you even got schematics, nowadays it's "Take big cable, plug in wall outlet, see picture" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Where do I find "screen" to right-click on in Windows XP? Found nothing in the control panel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Zooming on a diagram might be sluggish. Why not just put in another PCIe card?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Right click on the desktop.. and you should either get the default windows dialog or something installed by your video drivers.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

I'd recommend a smaller good quality LCD from Samsung or another real brand than a cheap panel which may not last very long.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You know you can set the two monitors up to be one massive desktop?

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

That brings up the same dialog as "Display" in the control panel. Lots of available resolutions but not 1920*1080. The closest one is 1400*1050 and then several higher ones that definitely go beyond the capabilities of the monitor I have right now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, but then you have a gap between them because or their enclosures, even if you'd overlap one slightly behind the other. Not so cool if you do layout checks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

The LCD TVs out here with the "cheap panels" in there seem to last a very long time. None in the neighborhood has ever died.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nice, but for reviewing large layouts for EMI hotspots the gap in the middle ain't so cool. I've tried that at a client and quickly switched to single screen.

For schematics (or in your case the timing diagram) I have another 'puter to the left of me, slightly angled but in full view. I need a ton of desk space because usually lots of hand sketches and calcs are needed. I've got about 20ft of that all around me :-)

Watch out for big brother above the left monitor ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If higher ones show up, that's good. Try to find a monitor driver at the manufacturer's home site. That should be able to tell the video card how to do things.

mike

Reply to
m II

Okay, on the Dell laptop I'm using right now (YMMMV):

right click on desktop-> NVidia Control Panel-> Display -> Manage custom resolutions-> Allow modes not exposed by the display.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My display driver (ATI) has no "technical" gap... nothing is missing, even though there's a physical gap. Continuous "mousing" between monitors.

Huh? That's an analog schematic on the left, simulation results on the right.

Not seen, I have a full desk on my right, buried in paper ;-)

I use that for Skype and GoToMeeting. It's off unless I choose to "share". ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, I don't like to split windows across displays either.. having one 30" 2560x1600 for layout or CAD window and the other for other stuff like PDFs, and the two 1600x1200 for communication, and the single smaller one for coms with a target system makes sense to me. Not everyone has room for 5 monitors on their desktop though.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I just fired off a support request to Dell, to see whether my computer supports 1920x1080 natively or via a driver. The documentation is so lousy these days that it doesn't contain such specs. That was unthinkable in the good old days.

Docs for the chip set don't help much because they dumbed down the mobo via the BIOS. Some stuff the HW clearly supports (such as 5-1/4 drives which I would have needed for legacy projects) has been yanked :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:35:01 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Yea, I had a similar problem, the card worked in the correct resolution in Linux. but the MS windows driver (win98) did not show it. As I knew the card could do it, I simply added that resolution the driver's confing file, and selected it. Do not ask me how I found where the windows driver was and how the config file worked, I use short time memory for that sort of hacks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Monitor

I had tried that, in my case the Intel graphics accelerator comes up. No custom resolutions that include 1920x1080 :-(

But that doesn't mean much because it contains higher modes so there's no technical reason why it shouldn't. Dell might have pulled it though. Hopefully Dell tech support can answer that, I just sent a request.