OT: Large LCD monitors for PC

It's a laptop in a dock. A second adapter in the dock doesn't work either. I've tried several.

Reply to
krw

Say Keith,

Have you tried using DisplayLink's own drivers rather than the ones that come on the CD from Kensington?

-->

...they update them rather more often than Kensington updates theirs...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No, but it's worth a try.

I went to Kensington's service site and opened a problem report. They basically said, try it on another system. If it works there, tough shit. If it doesn't work there, tough shit. I took it to work to try it (all I have is two ThinkPads (working) here) but haven't had time to try it. I'll try the drivers above.

Reply to
krw

0&eCat=BC|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Won't be too useful for me. The various clients use a plethora of CAD systems and I have viewers for some. For the others it's all Gerber and there ain't no cross-probing there. Not even a good transparent view :-(

So I normally use a small computer for the scheamtic and then the big screen for the Gerbers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

0&eCat=BC|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Yes the same computer, separate displays. There is no excuse, these days, for suffering with a single monitor. I want a couple more.

Reply to
krw

0&eCat=BC|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

I actually prefer them being two separate computers here at my desk. They are on the same LAN drive and if one crashes I can reboot and continue on the other.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

He has two displays, so he obviously has at least one dual monitor graphics card.

IF his mobo has another PCIe slot, AND IF the mobo is SLI ready, he can add another card, and get them to work well together. IF he has no SLI facility, he MIGHT be able to add another card, but would cut performance of the entire system.

This AWARD winning device allows folks to have a HUGE number of displays on a box.

I doubt seriously that he was referring to not having access to the machine to make installations of softwares and hardwares.

Reply to
AllInTheChi

It is straight math, idiot. If it took you until your ninth grade to learn that, you need to sue your school district.

Reply to
ItchyGato

Oh, you mean like the TOPIC?

I'm sorry, but 4:3 @ 19" is the smallest candidate for discussion, and it barely gets to play.

Of course small form factor screens will have smaller pitches at the same array size. Basic math again.

They cannot claim 1080p display function if all the thing can show you is one "light bulb" for every two (720).

And even less being of any consequence.

OLED cam be even smaller.

Watching a movie on my PSP, and watching it on an only slightly bigger HTC or the like is a huge, notable difference, but part of that is Sony's file format restrictions.

I call the entire family of devices iPUDs Apple is jacking the brains of millions, and they don't even know it.

No thanks. I'll wait until after "we're done letting you bastards rip us off" era starts.

Sure they do Notice those little fuzzies around lettering on some commercials, etc.?

Remember the old CRT term "video bandwidth"? I HAVE a viewsonic flat optically coated 19" at 185MHz, which was the fastest available. At least at the time. Don't know now, and there is likely some medical grade job that is faster.

Small things ARE noticeable and DO matter.

Exactly, and then there are the video image processing shortcuts that get injected, just like Obama pork into a fresh bill about to hit a lame duck congressional floor.

My CRTs were pretty tight, IIRC, for phosphor. I think it was 0.19 or such. I can't even remember CRT specs any more, but I have hoarded several near mint examples, including a 37" 4:3 glass monster that will also do 720p HD modes via RGB tho. AT 450W and over 150Lbs, I don't want it anywhere but out in the garage or sold!

Damn thing would not "see" my light rifle. Those bastards and their screen timings!

Oh well, motion sensing is far better I hear.

Reply to
ItchyGato

It got top ratings, or you could probe the forum there ITIO, (If There Is One). I think EVGA might also still actually answer the phone with a real human within a few steps as well. They would likely already know many scenarios, and failure modes. There was a time when getting such info from a company was like pulling teeth.

Reply to
ItchyGato

Oh so _that's_ it! I thought we'd evolved longer arms, and better eyesight. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I doubted that too. But I didn't assume anything. You seem to think asking "why" was critical of your suggestion. It's a lot cheaper than a quad monitor card, but there's nothing wrong with asking.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

0&eCat=BC|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

situations.

That's what KVM switches are for. ;-) ...except they don't make decent (cheap) ones for USB.

Reply to
krw

We have a couple of these at work:

($27)

They're OK-but-not-great: It doesn't take too much effort to find a keyboard or mouse that they don't like, and we even have one laptop that wouldn't work with it at all (that was a bit shocking).

KVMs with DVI video connections immediately push the price up closer to $100... and KVMs with dual-link DVI connections are closer to $200!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I had one that worked for a while. They aren't cheap and are too unreliable. I had a PS/2 KVM for years without problems.

Yep. Too much, considering the cost of a PC these days.

Reply to
krw

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

bands

I only smoke components :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

bands

We smoke salmon and pork :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

but

bands

right.

On a bed of smoldering components?

Reply to
krw

They're all the same inside, no? The drivers come from the same place? How is one different from another?

Reply to
krw

brand),

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

but

are

bands

right.

No, charcoal. A couple hours from now I'll cook pizza in the barbecue. Have to make sure the wood stove has burned down enough by then so I can snatch some coals for an instant start. That avoids having to deal with a starter chimney in the rain.