OT: Large LCD monitors for PC

The receptors in the human retina are about 0.0025 mm in diameter, or about 2.5 microns. Using the parameters of the rest of the eye, this results in a visual acuity of about one minute of arc. This is about

0.075 mm. at a 10 inch viewing distance.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

That's what it's sold as, but it works just fine with a computer as well.

Perhaps, but I was thinking you would find 1920x1080 on a 30" OK if the price were right? Those extra 2" aren't going to make it look much worse. :-)

The Panasonic there is actually 31.5", so (doing the math) you end up with 70 pixels per inch; on a true 27" monitor it'd be 82 pixels per inch.

But this is why you might consider ponying up for the ~$1k+ 30" 2560x1600 monitors -- they're 101 PPI.

27" 1920x1080 monitors are almost certainly using the exact same panels that end up in "TVs," BTW. That ViewSonic at Costco you linked to does look nice.

One final thing: Most monitors no longer come with height-adjustable stands. If you want something with a higher WAF than a stack of data books under the monitor (probably one of their best uses these days!), there are universal stands available now:

-

- works with any monitor with the standard VESA mounting plate hole pattern on the back.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to find that you had specifically constructed some furniture-quality monitor stand out of black walnut or something either. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

But only in a 15-year old ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, that is still around 15% difference. With the monitor right now I sit about 12" away. 768 lines works just fine, more makes the stuff too small. However, if I move 2-3" closer I can see lines and it becomes uncomfy for CAD work. So 27" at 1068 lines feels about right. Larger, maybe not so unless I move the monitor back a bit.

Good point. Next week I'll see if Costco has it in store so I can take a look. Hopefully there's a PC connected.

Funny you mention that. The current stand for the Trinitron monitor is a huge "AMP Connectors" hardcover book from 1991. I kept it exactly for that purpose. Dark blue, so the WAF was ok. At least she never complained :-)

I'd only do that if I can bolt it down.

Actually I was thinking about that. Making a U-shape so little stuff such as math cheat cards, filter coefficients, Christmas candy and such can be stored underneath. After a cold November we still have slightly over 3 cords of almond to pick from. Maybe I'll pull some nice-looking pieces ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The "E" in the 20:20 line on a vision chart has "legs" sub-tending one minute of arc at the 20 foot viewing distance.

At 86 years, I have AMD, (age related macro degeneration), in one eye, but can still use a 19" 1680 x 1950 monitor.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

When you right-click the desktop, what pops up? Isn't there a list with at least something about icons, properties and display? ...Jim Thompson

It's really the _only_ way to fly.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Another thing to look for is the shape and distribution of the "pixels". These are usually consistently standard in computer monitors, but vary considerably in TV displays. (Sharp has even added a extra "yellow" to its display!)

Pure marketing hype in MHO!

Some interesting pictures:

You can check this with a low power microscope, but the only real way to is to see examples of your daily work on a prospective monitor.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

When they did that test with me before starting in the army it blew them away when I read the whole thing and also the "Printed in Malaysia" or whatever was in the lower right corner.

So can I (well, not 1950) but I sometimes have to sit more than 10h in front of it. The higher the res the better but when software then draws features too small it is more tiring than adjusting the screen res so it won't do that.

And I sure don't have the eyes of my great-grandpa who could read everything without glasses until the very last evening when he passed away shortly before his 103rd birthday. He had never been to a (civilian) doctor or hospital either.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

There is, but it only shows a very limited selection of resolutions. But no problem, Joel said the G33 chipset can most likely do it and if not I'll buy a PCI graphics card. But first I'll check out a 1080-line LCD monitor at Costco. Maybe take a CAD screen-print along on a memory stick if they let me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe bring your whole laptop if it will drive the monitor. Some of the Club stores lock up the computers fairly tightly.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's what I was planning to do, take a layout sample with me on a memory stick. Just an image file, and then move it around.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I didn't. However, the driver (matrox) lets you space the monitors apart virtually to match the seams, so that stuff moving from window to window seems to go behind the seam, rather than jump across it. I don't currently do that though.

The snapshot was a screen grab; it has no idea where my monitors are physically. In fact, the fourth monitor is physically above the third, but virtually to the right of it.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

40 years ago people crawled across huge sheets of vellum in their socks, armed with Rubylith, and now we have to have quadcore processors, two monitors, terabytes of HD space ... :-)
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

My idea exactly. I had a monitor with similar problem. I fixed it once. When it started to get bad again I bought another monitor with a small defect.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

And we don't have to remember that old drafting adage: "Never draw more in the morning than you can erase in the afternoon."

--
VWall
Reply to

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

|84&N=4047243&Mo=7&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1680&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Easy on that Van Nelle Halfzwaar, then it happens less often :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've climbed around on a 20' x 20' light table ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Somewhere in my junk boxes I have a motor (AC) powered eraser :-) ...Jim Thompson

I have had to lean and partially crawl onto a smaller one, during a hybrid design. After the CAD didn't let us bypass some design rules we just had it and resorted to the good old methods. My concern was not about design integrity but ... "What if the glass breaks?"