OT Hydrogen economy, not?

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in news:TL9hk.129523$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Mexico ain't exactly an immigrant's paradise, either...from any angle, I think it is a human tragedy.

I personally don't understand how that policy will be relevant when Castro and the Old Guard die. I guess people want to see them punished, but it seems to me that the people being punished are the ordinary people. As it is, the US has no leverage for inducing Cuba to release political prisoners and improve its human rights policies - it's not like we're going to invade them, so ther is neither carrot, nor stick.

I'm sure there is more to it than I know - I just think it's very sad.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I was referring to human milk. It's very sweet.

John

Dispelled?

The "corn lobby" is essentially Archer-Daniels-Midland.

=46rom their website:

Richard Henry

These guys seem to have beat you by a couple of years:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:48:14 -0700, John Larkin wrote: ..

If you want big, try Wyoming.

You see highway exits with signs like "Highway 39 Next services 67 miles."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It was probably on the Epson QX-10 and a dig at Valdocs. I liked some of his SciFi, but his technical commentary always left me cold.

Luck; Ken

Reply to
Ken Maltby

And when you get there the gas pump "just broke", the food is the candy machine, and the lodging is a surplus army cot in the filthy gas station bathroom.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I think we have a "Next Services 19 Miles" sign on I280, between San Francisco and San Jose.

John

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Er, ah, um, well, I wouldn't know...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

Now, if only I could do that with my own garbage...unfortunately, I think the HOA would forbid it. We're not even supposed to have composters.

((No recycling in my area, because most people are overextended on their houses and don't even water the yard (bad for the house foundation but whatever) never mind pay $3 per recycling pickup - and the nearest recycling center is IIRC about 32 miles from here, meaning, a 64 mile mile round trip.))

Reply to
Kris Krieger

If that is the case, I don't want to ever vist California.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jerry Pournell used to write a column for BYTE, and he was a whining id10t.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:U6KdnUt1YPtaphvVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I lived for abotu 3 yrs in a town about 15 miles east (inland) from Pasadena; the town was on the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I lvoed it there.

THe closes I ever got to LA was the LA Botnical Garden, which isn't actually *in* LA. Used to go there about once a month. THe worst thing about CA IMO is that absurd housing prices and dumbass development practices. If not for that, we'd be tempted to go back. (Currently thinking instead about retiring to New Mexico.) But CA is a huge state, and very varied.

I've lived in places all across North America, and one thing which is always true, is that, no matter where you go, you find the gamut from bad to good. As for whether you'll like a place, well, it depends upon what you like. Someone who likes big-city life is not going to like a place that is "in the middle of nowhere"; and someone who likes quietude, nature, and wildlife, and tending a garden, is not going to like living in a big- city condo. Places that people insisted I'd hate, I liked; and places people insisted I'd like, I didn't. Travel is the same way. You have ot know what you enjoy, and then carefully consider *al* the info about a place. And really, something as *huge* as California is not "a place", it's "many places" - from beaches to mountains, from desert to the Giant Redwood forests, drylands to lake country; big city, to suburban sprawl, to tiny hamlet.

Advice is useful but never base a decision on one bad review.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

He didn't mention that the only candy in the machine is melted gummy worms, and that you have to share the cot with a big hairy trucker. Better stay away.

John

"Ken Maltby" wrote in news:rpSdnU6O65oEuxvVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

and when the wind stops blowing,that is a LOT of power lost from the grid.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

>>>I was reading an article a couple of days ago on Jerry Pournelli\'s
>>>web site on
>>>this subject.  Jerry has a couple of advanced degrees, at least one
>>>of which
>>>is in a science.
>>
>> Nope. Psychology and Political Science.  (One trip out to the
>> University of Washington main library, I searched the stacks for his
>> thesis, but it wasn\'t there).
>>
>> Mark Zenier  mzenier@eskimo.com
>> Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)
>>

>   It was probably on the Epson QX-10 and a dig at Valdocs.
> I liked some of his SciFi, but his technical commentary always
> left me cold.
>
> Luck;
>     Ken

What Sci-Fi has Pournelle written lately?
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Well, here's my crackpot idea. Use an instant boiler, like one of those instant-heat water heaters; fire it with an array of burner nozzles that are like those little lighters that have a flame like a blowtorch.

Then, for a turbine, you run an ordinary, off-the-race-car-builder's-shelf blower in reverse (extracting rotary energy from the steam), and for a condenser use an ordinary car radiator.

How crackpottish is this, exactly? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sure!

Idiots.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Gie it a try and report your findings back to the group.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Or, better yet, an LPG burner right at the intake of the blower. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I thought he liked big hairy truckers, with his melted gummy bears? ;-)

It doesn't matter, anyway. I can no longer travel, due to health problems. When I was on the road, I never ran into that situation. In fact, I found rural gas stations open in the middle of the night, and there is a restaurant at almost every exit of I-75 with real, edible food.