Quantum computer simulates hydrogen molecule just right

Quantum computer simulates hydrogen molecule just right:

eh, not sure I understand this, looks like a hard wired program to me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A hydrogen molecule simulates a hydrogen molecule just right too.

John

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Jan 2010 08:16:00 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

That though thas crossed my mind, but I think they do a bit more :-) At least I hope so.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There's a nice line at the bottom of the article, concerning Feynman's anticipation of this approach

'It included two little blocks of the semi-transparent mineral calcite to control and measure the photons=92 polarizations. Looking at the diagram of the device built recently by the Queensland team reveals, sure enough, two =93calcite beam displacers.=94'

If Feynman predicted it, it's worth taking seriously.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Is this what you call putting a spin on things?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Electron, electron, oh spin away and re-appear on the other side..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, I did get a charge out of it.

John

Are you positive?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Negative on that!

Reply to
krw

No uncertainty?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Something that IS something cannot simulate itself. It fails the definition at the most base level.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

..

Adjusting the polarization of the light sounds a bit like programing an analog computer. (If that's what you mean by hard wired.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:13:19 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

I ment a hard wired program, that is almost like a sequencer. If indeed they use filters and polarisers in sequence to do operations on a beam that goes through it. To change the math they do with it you would have to change the setup: So hardwired.

Yes analog computers also needed 're-wiring' to do something else :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ssage

Is the cat alive or dead? let me check.

Reply to
Greegor

So now you are entangled with half dead cats...

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Easy enough to reverse either condition if you are quick enough on the draw.

Amazon has little kitty de-fib kits.

Sad news about Mr. Depp.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Entanglement theory variant? They have been killed four and a half times already?

When they are in that state, are they able to fold space? I need to get back to the bar.

Reply to
MassiveProng

message

Hey, let's be careful here. Entanglement appears in the formulation of quantum mechanics, but we have no handle on what it actually means.

So all we know is that if we perform a series of appropriate measurements (I suggest scratch detection) on Greegor after a number of encounters with Schrödinger's playthings, we'll get results that are consistent with entanglement. Whether anything of an entanglement nature (as distinct from just having, or not having, scratches) actually happens to Greegor as a consequence of the encounters is an open question.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Not even in principle.