Hydrogen Peroxide vapor - Production line safe?

The boss is a germaphobe. He's also the kind of guy who believes the more exotic and esoteric a solut ion is, the better it must necessarily work.

So his latest craze is he bought an atomizer on Amazon and wants to saturat e the office / and production line / with H2O2 vapor. (BTW, I have no idea if the atomizer itself is compatible with H2O2.)

My question is: Is this safe for things you would ordinarily find in an en gineering space? Plastics, computers, keyboards, components, circuit boar d, components, large screen, HDTV monitors, etc...

I'm asking because the last time he went on a binge like this it was with 9

1% Isopropyl Alcohol in a spray bottle. He went around the office spraying everyone's keyboards and work stations. (So heavy, that the keys were wet to the touch!). And in the process, pretty much ruined (4) Microsoft Surf ace keyboards, which are now all white at the key edges, and look like crap .

I managed to STOP him today by hiding the vaporizer deep in the warehouse i nventory, but that is only a temporary "fix". If it is indeed safe for pl astics and metals, then so be it. But I always understood H2O2 to be prett y reactive with just about everything in sight.

Comments? Suggestions?

Reply to
mpm

I knew an old riverboat pilot who was retired after 40 years of smoking

4~5 packs a day and after he quit, nitely he inhales a puff of H202 mist diluted to 2%. I lost touch after 5 years in his late 70's because of my absence to his tech support group. I always wondered what happened to him. I think it can make a mild acid and burn microcells while it dissolves bacterial surfaces but dont know much about it.

IsoProp has a lot of residue I think to prevent Rubbies from drinking it.

Reply to
Tony Stewart

Not sure what you mean by "residue", but isopropyl alcohol is poisonous all on it's own. Nothing needs to be added.

Where do you get your ideas?

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

For decades, a small amount of toxic methyl alcohol was added to otherwise pure industrial ethanol to discourage people from using it as a source of intoxication. But some people drank it anyway and died or became blind as a result. This "methylated spirit" was taken off the consumer market years ago but isopropyl alcohol is freely available.

I knew a doctor who died from drinking formaldehyde from a bottle, thinking it was water. He was rushed to a hospital but they couldn't save him.

Reply to
Pimpom

ith

st

it.

all on it's own. Nothing needs to be added.

I don't know where you are from, but denatured alcohol is readily available in the US. It has many uses as a solvent, thinner and stripper. It is re latively inexpensive as well, around $8 a gallon ($2 a liter/litre).

I can't recall hearing of anyone who drank denatured alcohol and dying or g oing blind. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying it is very, very rare.

I did read recently where seven people were hospitalized after drinking han d sanitizer containing methanol. Three died and one was blinded. Funny th ing is a treatment for methanol poisoning is to drink ethanol. The ethanol competes with the methanol for the metabolic pathways that create the meta bolites (formaldehyde and formic acid) that damage the liver. It takes a l ot of ethanol though.

Formaldehyde has a strong, nasty smell. It hard to imagine anyone getting it past their nose. It is also not so extremely poisonous. Perhaps you ar e thinking of Methanol which can be mistaken for Ethanol? Either way, it w ould be hard to mistake it for water.

Chemistry is a bitch.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

=============

** Think again...

Joke:

Drunk walks into a hardware store and asks for a some "metho". The sales dude produces a bottle and he asks:

" have you got a cold one ?"

** But is very poisonous - like many other liquids.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On 09/07/20 05:44, Ricketty C wrote:

Probably the "wellness" industry.

That's based on this response of his earlier today...

On 09/07/20 05:09, Tony Stewart wrote: > On Wed. 08 Jul.-20 10:31 p.m., Bill Sloman wrote: >> wellness propaganda > On the contrary, you are sucked into the Big Pharma Propaganda. > > You believe you cannot be any healthier than simply eating sensibly. > > You would be laughed at by Olympic health experts. > > If you believe any of the following; you are even more gullible asshole with a > void in the wisdom of health medicine. > > 1. Your health just depends on sensible eating, chance and genetics > 2. You can rely on a magic pill from Big Pharma > 3. Cancer can only be cured by surgery, Radiation or Big Pharma and prevention > has nothing in common with antiviral supplements, extra nutrician and exercise > 4. "Heart-Healthy Foods" are good for your heart and health > 5. Eating, drinking raw food is always bad, unhealthy and dangerous > 6. Fasting is dangerous or Intermittently has no health benefits > 7. Homepathy is quackery and doesn't work (Diluted poisons trigger an immune > reaction) > 8. Vaccines are safe. > > Look I realize I may not have expressed my opinions as well as the articles, but > that doesn't justify your negligent summary. I also do not believe all > supplements are equal or safe. I conduct a lot of due diligence. Some are great > and critical to reducing the risks on elders or those who get sick easily and > many who do take them rarely get ill.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

1) what on earth is a "microcell"

2) it is mildly acidic. Since the pH is ~4.5 (cf lemon juice ph 2), that is not especially significant in this context

3) the real and significant cell damage is due to its oxidising action.

You continue to display a liking for word salad.

IPA doesn't.

Some things you can buy containing IPA might.

You are probably confusing IPA with methanol, which would be a pretty basic mistake.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's why it took so long to take it off the consumer market - inexpensive and widely useful. I'm in India.

There you are. Methanol is methyl alcohol.

Funny thing is a treatment for methanol poisoning is to drink ethanol. The ethanol competes with the methanol for the metabolic pathways that create the metabolites (formaldehyde and formic acid) that damage the liver. It takes a lot of ethanol though.

Maybe they were hoping for the treatment. :-)

The doctor was a nice guy, well liked in the communities where he was posted in government service, but he was an impulsive type. He'd been using the formaldehyde to preserve a corpse and must have gulped it down before his brain had a chance to register the smell.

Chemistry, especially organic chemistry, was my least-liked subject in college.

Reply to
Pimpom

Hand him the MSDS for H2O2.

. Hazard Statements . H314 - Causes severe skin burns and eye damage . H302 - Harmful if swallowed . H332 - Harmful if inhaled . H335 - May cause respiratory irritation . H272 - May intensify fire; oxidizer

Things, probably, except for bleach sensitive things, like some inks, and all people.

Does he have a boss?

If there's a chemical spill who do you call?

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

That is for full strength H2O2. I still have a small chemical burn scar from a mistake I made with rocket fuel strength peroxide at university. A couple of the experiments that we did were discontinued the next year. (on safety grounds)

The 20 and 40 volume food grade stuff can be safely diluted to make a mouth wash so the dose definitely makes the poison.

However, diluting it with water brings other problems. Most electronics does not get on with being wet and neither does paper. It is a bad idea.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

H2O2 3% is used as contact lens sterilizer. I once did insert a lens into the eye and forgot the bath in the neutralization fluid. That will never ever happen again!

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

What about asking OSHA?

Reply to
John S

Suggest that he is the most important person in the establishment, so it should be installed in his office because he needs the protection first.

With luck you will soon have a new boss.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

There are many causes of white power residue from 70% IPA. One theory is Calcium Carbonate from the water.

Where do you get your thoughtless attitude?

Reply to
Tony Stewart

That's a bit of a jumble.

Ethanol is the alcohol that we all like to drink. Methanol is poisonous. It was added to basically pure (70 - 90%) alcohol to make the result technically poisonous, and therefore not taxable as drinkable alcohol. It's all about the cost and tax, not about discouraging people from drinking it.

Discouraging drinking is usually done with a colouring (purple) as a warning and a bitterant to make it taste terrible.

Isopropyl alcohol is already poisonous. Whereas meths (methylated spirit) is almost pure ethanol and is only very mildly poisonous if diluted, and therefore still sometimes drunk despite the bitterant, isopropyl alcohol is much more poisonous and much less intoxicating, so there is rarely a problem with people drinking it.

Meths has not been taken off the market, at least not here.

According to Wikipedia, you can smell formaldehyde by 1 ppm, and you'd notice eye irritation. You'd have to be pretty quick to open a bottle and take a drink without noticing.

Reply to
David Brown

Methanol poisoning is usually the result of home-made spirits done badly, giving high concentrations of methanol instead of alcohol. Occasionally people die from it, or suffer blindness after long-term use.

Reply to
David Brown

rather conveniently one of the antidotes for methanol poisoning is ethanol because the the enzyme that breaks down alcohols much prefer ethanol

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So you can't even follow your own line of thought???

"IsoProp has a lot of residue I think to prevent Rubbies from drinking it."

What does calcium carbonate in the water have to do with anything you said???

I need to just ignore your posts. I can't find one time that you have either said anything of value or that you showed you were willing to honestly discuss a topic.

We treat you the way you deserve when you post absurd nonsense.

You seem to be the deranged guy on the street corner ranting to himself and waving his fist in the air.

Hell, most of the time you don't even form complete sentences... not that you are alone in that group.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Right. It oxidizes (through the same pathways as the other light alcohols) to acetone, which basically evaporates out of you. In the mean time you get whatever unpleasant intoxication ketosis gives you.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams