LVDS over non-twisted flat ribbon cable

I'm lacking the experience of LVDS over flat ribbon cable that should be twisted, but is not. Different pairs will couple with the next and with the outside depending on frequency and length, but by how much ? The motivation for the question comes from the rather limited number of possible crimping locations a twisted ribbon cable provides. Whereas a flat ribbon cable can be crimped at any arbitrary millimeter.

I'd be using it for short runs, below 0.5m alltogether

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

What's your data rate, and what parts will you be using?

That length will be fine for most things short of the ultra-speed stuff. It's recommend 3 or 4 wires per LVDS pair, with a ground between a pair and anything else

gnd a+ a- gnd b+ b- gnd ...

The really fast stuff might get nasty over a half meter of standard ribbon cable.

John

Thanks John, It'll be 20MHz to 60MHz or so. The parts will be

65LVDS1 @ 65LVDS2. They'll synchronize different subsystems in a distributed setup.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Not super fast, so you should be OK. Be careful to keep the pair skew down by routing equal length traces in/out of the ribbon cable connectors. But it's not really hairy... 100 ps or so shouldn't break anything.

Anybody know the differential impedance for a regular Scotchflex type cable in this config, diff pairs with outside grounds? I'm too lazy to TDR it.

John

Could also use that fancy ribbon cable that is wrapped in a flat shield.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

[snip]

But you should TDR it, so that you really know, rather than guess ;-)

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

I didn't guess. But at the moment, I don't need to know.

John

What you don't mean won't hurt you.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to