OT gouda

If you're ancient like me, you may remember "parties" where people went to someone's apartment and brought joints and vile sweet wines (Mateus and Blue Nun) and rubbery wax-coated softball-sized gouda cheeses. That turned me off to goudas for decades.

But there are some wonderful hard salty aged goudas around now. Beemster X-O is 26 months old and great. The Uniekaas aged goudas are good too. Just eat them, or use with Regiano parmesan in cream sauces. Or shave over a salad, with a potato peeler.

Gosh, I'm hungry. And I've just been researching the new crop of Cajun/Creole/New Orleans restaurants in San Francisco. Gotta save this PC board layout and start thinking about lunch.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've always found Gouda to be a quite serviceable cheese. Smoked, too.

But then, I do live in Wisconsin.

Ever tried Edam?

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

That's another one I've avoided for decades. Are there some good ones around?

I read that Wisconsin has some exclusionary laws that protect the local dairy industry. The Kerrygold Irish butter was reported to be illegal to sell in Wisconsin, because the cows are grass-fed or something.

There are starting to be some good American cheeses, like Cowgirl Creamery.

lunatic fringe electronics

Gouda is on average a pretty nice cheese. But this...this is a man's cheese right here:

Grafton Village "Extra Mature" raw milk cheddar - direct from Brattleboro, Vermont. Aged 7 years and pretty much the strongest-flavored cheddar (or cheese of any type really) that I've ever had. It's something that has to be experienced.

It'll cost you though, that block in my hand was IIRC $35.

Reply to
bitrex

I told my GF "It tastes like getting shot in the mouth by a full broadside from a WWII battleship" and after trying a sample she agreed with that assessment. "It's almost too strong to eat" and then went back for more. I think it has some kind of addictive properties.

Reply to
bitrex

Am 30.04.2017 um 21:04 schrieb John Larkin:

I was in the Netherlands 2 weeks ago and had my base in Gouda. I visited the cheese market (each Thursday) and bought a good 3 pounds of aged cheese; gave some away to my brother & Co. Tomorrow it's time for a nice gratin :-) The ultra-aged parmesan-like was nowhere to be spotted, though they had some Parmesano.

Cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Am 30.04.2017 um 23:10 schrieb Gerhard Hoffmann: ...

20 years ago, I bought some Yacc cheese in Nepal; that was not unlike Appenzeller. But then this was at a foreign aid project from Switzerland. After 4 weeks in the wilderness of the Everest region it looked surreal: sterile test tubes in a clean lab... In these countries I avoid milk products carefully, but I dared to try their Yacc yoghurt with honey from wild bees - that was outstanding!

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

They named a city after a cheese?

lunatic fringe electronics

Yak stew is good too, though the yak has to be more committed. Had that in Yunnan province.

Did you try the butter tea?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Am 01.05.2017 um 01:32 schrieb Spehro Pefhany:

"The difference between involvement and commitment is best demonstrated by a full English breakfast. The hen is involved but the pork is committed."

No, at least not on location. When I was back home, I noticed the deficit and brewed one from the recipe in the travel guide. It did not compel me to try it on my next visit.

It is not intolerable if you look upon it as a thin salty vegetable broth, and the butter does not need to be rancid in principle.

My own version of Dal Bhat was also much better than the original. A little bit of cream and extra ginger helps tremendously, as do multiple kinds of lentils.

But then I also tried black pudding and Haggis on Orkney; the recipe reads more dangerous than what you get.

<

Looking forward to "3 months fermented shark" this August on Iceland, with the motor bike again.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

No.

"In the Middle Ages, a settlement was founded at the location of the current city by the Van der Goude family, who built a fortified castle alongside the banks of the Gouwe River, from which the family and the city took its name. "

Cheese-making technology seems to have been invented after most European cities had been named, so it is a fair bet that a cheese is named for a city or a region, rather than the other way around.

Camembert cheese was invented in the tiny village of Camembert by Marie Harel in 1791.

My preferred Dutch cheese is Stolwijker, named after what's now a suburb of Amsterdam.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Certainly!

I don't remember the brands offhand, though.

It's not exactly a commodity cheese, so you're unlikely to get hastily produced junk, I suppose.

Oh yes, we have a long history with the dairy lobby. Perhaps less significant these days, but a number of quirks remain.

A suit's been filed, and there's this,

so I guess we'll see.

Starting to be? Wisconsin creameries regularly dominate the top 10's worldwide, and there are lots of good ones from Vermont (??) to Oregon (Tilamook f.ex).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Apr 2017 12:04:25 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Interesting, all I can make of it, what it is, is 'Highland Technology'.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Real haggis would be illegal to sell here in Canada- I think the lungs are a sticking point. The local Scottish pub 'The Caledonian' has ersatz stuff that I'm told tastes fairly close to the original. And a good selection of amber liquids from Orkney etc. that pair well.

Supposed to be very photogenic place, but I'll pass on the rotten fish (Asian fish sauce is as close as I'll get).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I saw a review of this book and made an impulse buy,

I'm only up to acid. (I love salt and fat..) No recipes so far, just sorta ideas about cooking.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Jan! Hola.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Buenas natchos. ;-)

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Not sure whether you mean that you've previously take your bike to Iceland.

If not, be careful. The attitude there is that they expect to lose a few tourists each year, usually fording rivers.

They took[1] the attitude that if you couldn't realise that

200ft drop + water spray + rock/moss = danger of slipping to your death, then the species had been improved.

I only saw one warning sign there, to the effect that you can step on the brown and red earth, but if you step on the white or yellow earth you might plunge into boiling mud.

I've also talked to cyclists that reckon they can only do 10km/day on the way to Kverkfjoll, due to punctures on the volcanic rocks.

Have fun.

[1] I believe there is now a railing there, at Gulfoss, spit.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

A worthy alternative, for those who like sharp cheddars, are the ones from the Cabot creamery (not all that far from Brattleboro). Less expensive than the Grafton Village, and quite good - I grew up eating them when on summer vacation a few miles from Cabot, and since then all lesser cheddars have disappointed.

Reply to
Dave Platt

:) They might if it's gouda nuff. Only Bill didn't get your humour.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr