OT: GE's Haliade-X 12 MW nacelle

Watch "GE Renewable Energy's Haliade-X 12 MW nacelle unveiled":

These are huge. And the installation cranes!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That image has been posted here before. None of them seem to have been installed yet, but it will happen real soon now (unless somebody missed a trick in the design process).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

One was installed this year at Rotterdam, and a 2nd one is going up in the UK. Quite a few are on order for offshore use in Maryland and New Jersey.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Just considering the blade length the distance to the horizon for one of th ese beasts is 48 km or 30 miles. I understand they were only permitted off the coast of Ocean City, MD if they were not visible from the shore. At t hat distance the water is around 120 feet deep. That's so insignificant co mpared to the 3 km waters oil rigs operate in.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

these beasts is 48 km or 30 miles. I understand they were only permitted o ff the coast of Ocean City, MD if they were not visible from the shore. At that distance the water is around 120 feet deep. That's so insignificant compared to the 3 km waters oil rigs operate in.

aren't those deep water oil rigs actively held in position with thrusters?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

But is it delivering power into the grid?

Getting it up to the top of it's pylon may count as "installation" for marketing purposes, but you tend not to get paid until the unit has delivered power to the grid.

"Installed at a site owned by Sif Holding NV (AMS:SIFG) in Maasvlakte, the Haliade-X prototype will produce data needed for the issuance of a Type Certificate next year, GE said."

So a prototype in place for testing, but no type certificate yet (whatever that might be).

That's not installed.

This has also been mentioned before.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Usually :-)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Wind turbines get a type rating so that countries (buyers) considering their use can make decisions about what class to get.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm sure they're going to run it at full power into the grid, at least for some time, but I don't know its long term future. It has already produced its first power, reported on 7 November 2019.

news: GE has sent a second blade, manufactured by its subsidiary, LM Wind Power, for fatigue testing at the Massachusetts Clean Energy Centre in Boston. That's in Charlestoen, short distance from us. I'm impressed, I didn't know it could handle 107-meter blades, they had earlier mentioned a 90 meter limit.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Uh huh. What storm wind speeds are they rated for?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

22,000 miles per hour!

What? Do you think they are going to be easily damaged???

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

" snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Wind class IB

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

So, not suitable for the North Sea then.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

" snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That is the highest class.

Related to the blades. Kind of hard to make them so sturdy, yet still be light in weight. Especially at over a hundred yards each.

Better than big wooden windmills though, I suppose.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It says class I has gusts of 70m/s, which is 156mph, I think. What's the significance of the B after the I?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

x-

Still hunting.

I think it may be a GE thing. But the declaration makes it sound like an international agreed upon norm, so there must be an orginization somewhere that is keeping tabs.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

IEC/EN 61400 specifies A-B-C to be high-medium-low turbulence and has models for normal, extreme turbulence and wind speed characteristics.

Funny thing is that at least the old version (2005) I have states that classes IA-IIIC are not intended to cover offshore or tropical storms, but require class S (for Special) design. I'm sure there's been a lot of progress on this field during the last 14 years and the modern standards cover offshort wind parks as normal cases.

--
Mikko
Reply to

I dunno. Let's face it, we learn from our failures. How many off shore installations have been damaged by tropical storms?

I had a structural engineer look at a house I am buying and his signature on email reads, "Anyone can make a building stand up, it takes an engineer to make it barely stand up".

That pretty much says it all.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I don't think the North Sea has been prone to get Category 3 and Category 4 hurricanes. But the new 12MW GE Haliade generators have been chosen for planned US wind farms offshore of Maryland and New Jersey, two locations that have or will see Category 4. Maybe they're getting a different blade design than the others.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win