OT: Eudora a good alternative to Thunderbird?

[...]

I really must give that a try - I have used the linux version for scanning email "passing through" my server, but not the windows version. I think an on-demand scanner might be the way to go. Anything else seems bound to screw something up somewhere.

This is very rare for real free software projects (actually I have never heard of it happening). On the other hand, it seems to be increasingly common for payware programs to phone home, monitor usage, disable other software etc. Funny, actually, that I trust some random linux package put together by persons unknown, over a paid-for product from a mega-corporation.

Note: With free *windows* programs you do need to be very careful, especially in the security area. There *is* an awful lot of malware disguised as a "security" product. But I know clam-av from linux, it is well known as a truly free system, as David says.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Gone, as others have pointed out.

But go over to comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows and you'll get some good suggestions from the regulars there. There are ways to use Eudora 7.1.0.9 and avoid the problems caused by their now defunct ad servers.

My suggestion: download 7.1.0.9 and search for a key.

Reply to
rebel

On-access scanners cripple the performance of your machine, while an on-demand scanner like clamwin uses virtually no resources (just a small amount of memory while sitting as a tray icon). The disadvantage of on-demand scanners, of course, is that you have to remember to scan files as necessary.

The great advantage of something like clamwin is that you can try it out if you want - if you don't like it, it uninstalls without a trace, unlike most commercial anti-virus junk.

There is always a risk of embedded nasty-ware in small open source projects - just because the source is available, does not mean that any more than the author has actually bothered looking at it! But for any project with more than a small handful of developers, it is almost impossible to get nasty-ware into the code as it will be spotted very quickly. Occasionally, distribution servers have been cracked and tainted binaries have been uploaded (something that can happen to any downloadable program), but getting nasty-ware into a large open source project would be very difficult.

Reply to
David Brown

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Norton is a virus/trojan. It does not uninstall cleanly let alone completely either. You need a registry cleaner. Check

and dts-l.org for worthwhile ones.

Reply to
JosephKK

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Very true. That is one of the real world differences between hardware and software; If hardware blows up when operated within stated specifications legal defense is almost impossible, if software blows up when operated within (often unknown/unknowable) specifications legal prosecution is almost impossible. This has begun to infect real time, critical grade to life critical grade firmware. This needs to be addressed, with extreme prejudice.

Reply to
JosephKK

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Personally, i prefer clam av / clamwin. It does not get in the way much, and the up to date properties is very good. If you don't mind doing a little manual scheduling, it can be very nice. It only scans what and when you tell it to. But the detect and cleanup rate is better than norton or macafee.

Reply to
JosephKK

There is a Symantec-specific uninstaller for corrupt installations. If you're having problems go to their website to get it.

...Jim Thompson

One also should not forget that a company that would secretly do stuff causing damage down the road can be held liable in court. At least in the US. Typically that ends in a class action and that's the absolute nightmare for any corporation. So they can't do anything really bad.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

However, AFAIK it doesn't monitor inbound web traffic so you've got to keep a firewall in addition. I just learned from Dell that the Windows version may be useless in a network situation. Turn it on and you can't see any server or other PC. Oh man, it seems it can't even discern between a legitimately requested transfer _by_ the PC on which it resides versus an outside request.

Now I wish there was another browser of the quality level of Mosaic where a hanging or rogue transfer from a web site can be stopped using, duh!, the STOP button instead of CRTL-ALT-DEL.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

You need some complaints, someone with the savvy to make a case that a jury can understand, and some technical experts to respond to the defense, and some luck. Oh, and a lawyer willing to go way out on a financial and reputation limb for a small chance of a large payoff.

Reply to
JosephKK

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Fortunately there at least two free or inexpensive firewalls (Kerio and ZoneAlarm) that install and uninstall clean, work and fully support networking your computers. Of course at the SOHO level you should already have a hardware router / firewall.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yep, there is one here. Still, it is best to have another one that can be configured as needed since changing the hardware firewall requires a whole identification rigamaroo every time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would not be a problem. But I am not the guy who likes to instigate this. Unless a company does me seriously wrong.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Anti-virus scanning and firewalling are two totally different concepts - Norton and other commercial "internet security" tools mix them up, thus confusing users and resellers (like Dell, or ISPs).

First off, an anti-virus scanner checks files for viruses (or other malware - although for some reason the commercial scanners often ignore trojans and spyware). There is no point in doing on-access scanning of files on your machine - that's a hideous waste of resources. You want to ensure scanning of files coming onto the machine - email is the most important there. But any decent email provider will already scan your incoming emails - you don't need your own scanner unless you are handling your own email serving (or don't trust your ISP!). Automatic scanning of downloaded files from the internet could be nice, but not many security products do it well. It's also not essential for security

- after all, you (should!) know what sort of sites you are looking at, and as long as you don't use the security sieve known as IE, you'll not run any downloaded programs unless you actively choose to do so.

Firewalling is about limiting traffic into or out of a PC or network. Far and away the biggest risk is incoming traffic - and no amount of software on a windows machine will firewall that properly. Software firewalls on windows (whether the one that comes with windows, or a third-party tool) are like Japanese paper walls - they look like they keep out the nasties, but are not hard to break through. The only way to keep windows machines safe is to have a hardware firewall between the internet and the PC's. The cheapest $20 NAT router is good enough, and far better than any software you can get for windows (for *nix, it's a different matter - it is a simple matter to make a safe firewall on the

*nix machine).

The only way I manage to get Firefox to stop is with pdf files through the Acrobat plugin - killing the acrobat.exe process frees Firefox again.

Reply to
David Brown

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Precisely, the decision to release comes just as soon as the expected pain level from the bugs will not likely result in legal action.

Reply to
JosephKK

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Only if you have small routers that do not properly support ARP/RARP and related protocols.

Reply to
JosephKK

Also, free Linux software undergoes a peer-review process when packaged up for some distribution (all I know is Debian, but I'm sure other distros handle it similarly). This doesn't mean that any potential malfunction (intentional or unintentional) is noticed, it just makes it sonewhat more likely. At least in Debian, each package is then cryptogrphically signed so that you can be sure that you only get the officially authorized version.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Have you tried Opera? I don't know it it does what you want, but it's the browser I use and I like it.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Well, yes, and that's the dreaded CTRL-ALT-DEL. Mosaic never needed that. It had a very simple concept that's not understood by browser designers these days: You pressed STOP and it stopped, no matter what.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I haven't but heard from others that it also doesn't always stop when instructed to do so. Mosaic was the best.