OT: Eudora a good alternative to Thunderbird?

Nope, turned that off for a test, made not difference. Also, I'd expect a program to be a little more specific with its error messages. Such as "Cannot receive data" or whatever. "Folder is being processed .. yada, yada.." is baloney, very lame.

Outbound is turned off and isn't a problem. Also, I deleted the inbox and it still does the same. Processing a folder that contains nothing. Pathetic.

Unfortunately Outlook does not import Thunderbird data. Darn. Else I could go on working.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Copied that from a backup. No change.

It's installing a new version right now (cause I can't import stuff into Outlook). Let's see. I believe this is a serious bug, maybe fixed by now. Several people on the web complained about the same thing and there was never any definitive answer as to the root cause. Just maybe and could be. Makes me think nobody really knows. It also happened a while ago on another machine but that was right after install so I ditched TB and installed an old Mozilla copy. Made the problem go away. That might also be an option here if I can convert the data.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg,

Are you by chance running Mcafee anti-virus?? They released an upgrade last Friday that seemed to prevent my Thunderbird client from receiving from a POP server. Hitting "Get Mail" twice would give your exact symptoms (easy enough to do when there is no response the first time!). Monday they released another update that fixed the problem. Both updates required a re-boot of WinXP.

Outlook still worked, as did Eudora.

Just a thought....

E. Tappert

Reply to
Eric Tappert
[snip]

By golly I think you've found it.

I vaguely recall such a discussion on comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows a few days ago

...Jim Thompson

No McAfee on this one, it's Norton but turned off (which didn't alter the behavior). But this brings up a question: How does one uninstall all this unwanted "free 90-day" stuff so that it's really gone, gone, gone? I've had one PC that came with McAfee and it was like whacking flies. Whenever you thought you killed it all there one popped up again. Of course they did not provide an uninstall option and the one built into Windows didn't work.

It might very well be that some remnant of such stupid nagware is still floating around but for a guy without a Ph.D. in computer science that's hard to sniff out. Also, one day it worked, the next it quit for good. And I didn't change a thing.

Man, do I long for the days of DOS. CompuServe gave me that nice DOS email client but unfortunately customized so it could only connect to them. It had one major advantage over all this newfangled fluff: It always worked!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Ok guys, found it out. There was an older Norton version on there, hasn't been update since 2006 so it hasn't changed. Beats me how that could suddenly interfere. It had to actually be hosed off the harddrive in its entirety, then a reboot, before Thunderbird would work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Those of us who read the installation instructions note that it says to use a special "removal" tool to uninstall old versions ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Joerg wrote in news:ntaPi.1396$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

have you tried Nonags download site?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Joerg snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Hmmmph, Norton AV "turned off" is not turned off. Norton AV uninstalled is not removed or really uninstalled. McAfee seems to be the same way; forceware. No wonder MS likes them.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have V6.2 here at the office and V7.something at home. I don't remember what version I started with, but it was pre V3 because I remember upgrading to that from my original. I started with the version that Mindspring (long since sold out to Earthlink) bundled in with their "Pipeline Plus" package you got when you got their service. The great thing is that their mailbox files have been backwards compatible all the way back without any weird migration programs or the like. Just install the new version in the old sub directory and off you go. Good stuff!

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Good old norton - you can always rely on it to stuff up your machine.

AV programs are incredibly intrusive. I suppose they have to be. They probably intercept every operation on a file or network packet.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

What really irks me about them is that they are notoriously disobedient. When you turn a firewall function off I expect it to be OFF. It wasn't. McAfee on another PC is the same. It's going to be outta here one of these days but first I have to find something better. Tried out AVG but that has a rather huge footprint, slows things down too much. Anyone know about the AOL version? Or does MS provide something good enough?

Browsers have some similar "not so nice" traits. For example, all of the ones I've ever used (except Mosaic!) do not offer much authority over the STOP button. When that is pressed I expect a web transfer to terminate this instant. Nope, don't work. Often it has to be CTRL-ALT-DEL, works every single time. IMHO Mosaic was the best browser ever, to this day unsurpassed in robustness and user authority.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

I have not needed one for 5 years now. I use linux, with windows run very occasionally as a vmware guest. If a windows vm starts misbehaving, I can revert it to a pristine state in about a minute!

I do have to install AV programs for a customer - AVG seemed to be the least worst (and free too).

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

You can use a local spam filter pop3 proxy - popfile is, I believe, one of the most popular. I used it before I started using spamassasin on our server.

If you have a Linux box available, I'd recommend setting up a proper mail server - dovecot is easy, and you can use fetchmail to collect email from a variety of pop3 boxes. That way you have your email on a secure system, available from any email client you want on any PC (via IMAP). When your client OS goes bonkers, or you find a new email program you like, or want to access the same email from a different machine, you have no problem.

I doubt if Eudora will get merged with Thunderbird, but I also doubt that it will see much progress as open source. You can't expect a development community to form around a product just by posting a link to the code on your website - Qualcomm are going to have to work much harder if they want to get some developer momentum behind it. At the moment, most people interested in working with open source email programs are looking at Thunderbird, Evolution, or KMail - developers will need a good reason to start working with Eudora.

Thunderbird works fine for most people - I don't know what's causing your problems, but clearly it's not a common issue (since you found nothing in your searches).

Reply to
David Brown

I've known email programs to get "stuck" on particularly badly formed email headers. If this is happening while trying to download from a pop3 box, it may be necessary to use one of these pop3 deleters to kill the problem message on the server.

Reply to
David Brown

Have you tried clamwin for Windows? It does exactly what it says on the box - virus checking what you ask it to, when you ask it to. It does not do on-access scanning, but you can arrange to use it to scan incoming emails (I do this on our server, but it can be done on single machines too). Run it on downloaded programs or anything else going on to the machine, and there is no need to run any sort of on-access scanning.

Obviously a virus scanner is almost irrelevant for Linux programs on Linux, but it can be useful for windows programs to be run with Wine (or on a virtual guest), and for scanning emails destined for windows machines.

Clam is not the fastest of scanners, but it has one of the most comprehensive databases (it beats commercial scanners on the few fair tests that are done), is *really* free, and doesn't interfere with the rest of your system.

Reply to
David Brown

But not for corporate use and only on one PC. Even most families have

3-4 PCs. Not that their kids really need on but ...
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I did find a lot but only people having the very same problem, no solutions taht worked. After I uninstalled Norton it now works. Sort of, still sluggish.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

They shouldn't get stuck. That would almost be if one of the test sets I built blew up upon certain DUT faults. The client would have me flogged.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks for sharing that, David. Maybe I am too paranoid here but if a program is designed and perpetually re-desigend as a collaborative effort within a rather loose kind of group, how safe is it from having nasty-ware in there itself?