OT: Eudora a good alternative to Thunderbird?

Hello Folks,

After the umpteenth freeze where I can't get any email to the laptop I've had it with Thunderbird. Mozilla was good and a lot less buggy but it ain't now more, only the huge SeaMonkey version.

Eudora now says on the site that the no-nagware version (paid) is no longer being sold. Does this mean Eudora may be going away?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

so it is kinda going away and then coming back as thunderbird in different clothes..

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I have used Eudora for over 10 years now (more like 15 if memory serves) and I like it. A solid tool that just works. I hope the paid version isn't going away. I guess I'll have to upgrade while I can.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Darn! So, what good alternatives are there? I don't trust Thunderbird anymore, and definitely not Outlook.

BTW Thunderbird just sits here and says "Folder is being processed .. blah, blah". Processing an empty folder, since two (!) hours. Tried the support info on the web plus the forum. Nada, zilch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Eudora are planning on releasing their code as open source - I don't know how far they've got with the plan, but hopefully it will still be around as an alternative (I like Thunderbird myself, and have never had a crash or hang despite pushing it hard - but it's always good to have a variety available).

Have you any idea what causes your problems with Thunderbird? My company is pretty much standardised on it, and most people use it at work and at home. We use an IMAP server - I have not used it for POP3 - which may make a difference.

As for other email clients, there is always Opera if you like the browser (it's not my cup of tea, but some people prefer it), and there is Evolution for Windows

(I haven't tried it).

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

AFAIU the paid version _is_ now gone to lalaland :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The free version now has no adverts, so you can just use that (as I do).

Eudora are not planning to release the code, but the original Eudora developers will be developing the open source "lookalike" - which also gets a new name - Penelope!

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

But it used to, unless you use the Lite version where it's static. Also AFAIK no spam filter and that's really important these days.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You're too late. Qualcomm discontinued sales on May 1 2007.

It's only available in Sponsored mode, and betas of the open source version.

HTH

-pk

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

Don't know, it just says "This folder is being processed. Please wait until processing is complete to get messages." Which never completes.

Found some hints such as that it might hang when a message with empty header or some spam comes along. IMHO an email program shall be able to deal with that. And it shall handle POP well, that protocol has been around a while. It could as well have read "This program has for some unknown reason croaked" just like Acrobat does when it says "has encountered errors".

Tried Opera a long time ago, not my cuppa tea either. If I can't unclog this I might have to temporarily switch this laptop to OE.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Oh well. I guess I will keep the version(s) I have now until I have issues.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

If you don't already have v7.1.0.9 you've missed out.

I've been using Eudora since v3 ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Your mail service provider might provide some - Mine used to provide a great mode where they would flag stuff they thought was spam, and send it all downstream where I could filter it. Now it's either no filtering, or filtering on their system - they dumbed it down. Still, I find that a bunch of positive filters (pull off mail from real people you commonly email) and negative filters (the various popular spam words/misspellings) does a pretty good job on spam. I've used Eudora for decades, and never got into the paid version with spam filter (nor the ad version until after they stopped running ads, though it still brings up an annoying gray square).

Release (if it ever happens) of the open source equivalent seems to be glacial.

What I've seen of spam filters on other people's systems, and when exploring other mailers and not liking them enough to change has not been impressive.

Ecnerwal

We use it for POP3, many copies, work and home, and it's been very reliable, as reliable as anything running under Windows can reasonably be.

I had a bad disk block once, and got the sort of thing Joerg is seeing. Dell/Maxtor junk. No problems, no crashes since going HP/Fujitsu/Raid under XP.

One should occasionally do a database cleanup: File, Compact Folders.

John

Acrobat is an abomination. Use CutePDF to make pdf's, and Foxit Reader to view them. Both are so fast it's hard to believe.

John

Can't do that, I get mail from several servers into one.

Won't do much good if it then just sits there or gets folded into Thunderbird.

Mozilla (the old integrated suite) works very well with its spam filters. But they've discontinued that a long time ago and like with any good software I keep hanging on. IME changing software when it wasn't absolutely needed just brought extra fluff and grief. Just like with this Thunderbird.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

It doesn't grind on the disk at all. Just sits there doing nothing.

Done that. The inbox is only 64MB, most of that being CAD file attachments like Gerbers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Got Foxit, will try CutePDF. But first I have to make this darn Thunderbird work or get its files into Outlook Express and then ditch it. Whatever makes email work on the laptop is good enough right now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

Do you have an E-mail anti-virus checker running.

I turned off outbound checking, otherwise Eudora crawls also.

...Jim Thompson

You might try shutting Tbird down, then copying (not moving... right click!) your Tbird PROFILES folder to some dummy destination, maybe on another drive. If that hangs, you have a bad disk block or the file system is tied in knots.

John