Eudora Email Problems

I don't typically have any trouble with Eudora... it just works. But once in a while the handshake with the server will stop working. I end up having to contact my web hosting provider and we change some settings and get it back on track. But I never understand why the changes were needed. The provider claims nothing has happened at their end.

This has happened again. I can receive but not send emails. I've narrowed it down to not being able to send to outside email addresses. I thought I was seeing something relating to the email account I was sending from, but it turns out to be the same across the accounts. Here is the error message.

"Can't send to ''. The server gives this reason: '550 without authentication.'."

I exchanged a number of messages with support, but I haven't heard back from them since I found it was connected to the destination email address.

This is a bit odd. Could it be that authentication somehow is messed up when sending emails outside your own server?

At one point we had submission port 587 enabled along with SSL, but Eudora says the certificate didn't match the destination host. Even odder is that it says the error is ignored because the certificate is "trusted", but the connection timed out. It presents a dialog asking if the certificate should be trusted in future sessions, but it doesn't matter what I select there, it always fails again.

Is Eudora getting too old to work well in the current environment?

--

Rick C
Reply to

The problem I have from time to time isn't with the information provider who provides my e-mail account, but with the network service.

Eudora and Thundersbird both ask for an Outgoing Server (SMTP) and what works is not mail.information-provider but mail.network-service-provider .

Apparently the network services take responsibility for forwarding e-mails into the web and my information-provider isn't involved at all.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not sure what you mean by "mail.information-provider", but I assume that would be my web hosting provider. I get that "mail.network-service-provider" would be my ISP. Trouble is that will only work at one location. I would have to change "mail.network-service-provider" every time I am in a new location, no?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Too true. When I'm traveling, replying to my mail involves logging in to my mail information provider with a web-browser and using their e-mail client to compose my response. Tedious.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Feb 14, 2017, rickman wrote (in article ):

I used Eudora for many years, stopping only when Apple dropped support for non-Intel binaries.

The most likely problem is that the ISP is now enforcing password authentication for sending mail, to cut down on spam generation. The ISP is probably requiring use of other than the default SMTP port. Go to your ISP?s POP account setup instructions, and reapply them.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

The SMTP server now wants a login and password for authentication. In the past, your ISP probably had POP3 before SMTP setup, where all you needed to authenticate was to poll for new mail and you were ok for sending for perhaps 10 mins. Now, they probably want a login and password every time you send mail.

If that doesn't fix it, try enabling logging and see what it offers:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yes, I've been doing everything I can to get this to work. Their instructions are to use the standard ports, 25 for SMTP outgoing. They claim nothing has changed. What I know is that Eudora had been set to use the alternate port 587 (with authentication) before the problem started. Now this fails. When SSL is turned on there is a problem with their certificate which Eudora doesn't seem to handle properly and so also fails.

I got an email from them this morning saying in essence if I want to use a "current" email client they will help me. Otherwise f*** off.

--

Rick C
Reply to