OT: Drawings of the 1942 German V2 Rocket

Nonsense, that so-called A4 airframe was a planned component of the A4/A10 combination that was definitely long range.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

[snip]

That's just lack of experience and/or using cheap/free tools that have crappy GUI's... or the "semisters" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Well, I'm a lot more logical than the idiot who said

"The V2 was intercontinental, they could have thrown it into a trajectory to hit North America if they wanted, according to Aberdeen."

about a 200 mile missile.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Klaus Kragelund schrieb:

Hello,

no, the Manhattan project was much bigger and it was not only a bomb.

They developed both a uranium and a plutonium bomb. But before they had to develop methods to enrich the needed uranium isotop to weapon grade. They had to design and build and operate nuclear reactors for plutonium production. They needed a facility to get pure plutonium out of the used fuel rods under very heavy nuclear radiation. The had to test the critical masses of plutonium and uranium. They had to design the concentric implosion to start the plutonium fission. But they had less years than the V2 project. When they were ready, the war with Germany was over.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Aha! Seems everyone finds that out early in their career. I carried a full set of four colors with even back in the late 80's, even on international flights. For that same reason.

The other problem back then were projectors. "So here is the block diagram of the circuitry we want to talk about in this design review" ... *POOF* ... clatter ... phut ... darkness came over the land. "Do you have a spare bulb and some tools?" ... "Uhm, I think so, possibly, maybe, let me ask".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That was usually true at IBM as well, at least after the department secretaries stopped keeping supply cupboards (about 1994).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I do it the same way. I plead guilty to lack of experience in mechanical CAD and PCB software, because nobody has wanted to pay me to do any of that when there are lots of other folks who (with guidance) can do it at least as well as I would, and work cheaper.

I'm looking around for a good modelmaking shop, because I have a bunch of prototyping jobs coming in, it looks like.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Within 200 miles of Russia? There's only part of one little (for Alaska) peninsula within that range, Cape Prince of Wales.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If all they'd had were conventional warheads, they probably wouldn't have bothered.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Paulo does freelance autocad/Solidworks design and machining.

I sometimes do entire board designs myself, usually on weekends when I can get some quiet time. Schematic entry, layout, all that. I'm not very good with the PADS library/parts creation thing, so I have The Brat set up any new parts that I might need. She also does the final checklist, fab notes, BOM, and Gerbers, too.

I did this one weekend:

For electrically demanding stuff, like picoseconds or pulse power, it's easier for me to do the critical parts of the PCB layout than try to verbalize it to a layout person.

But I'd still rather draw on paper and pass it onto other people to implement.

JT has turned off his brain, as usual. I think he has some guy do his layouts for him.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The Japanese occupied the Aleutians, and apparently were shipped a few V2s, so a V2 attack on American soil could have happened. They might have stirred up a bit of ice on the ground.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

dvances. The V2 project was actually bigger than the Manhatten project (Ato mic bomb). A bomb is just a bomb (he he), the V2 was radio beam controlled, had all sorts of control mechanisms including analog computers and doppler system for cut of control.

Qoute

The German V-weapons (V-1 and V-2) cost $3 billion (wartime dollars) and wa s more costly than the Manhattan Project that produced the atomic bomb ($1.

9 billion)

Unqoute

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

The A9/A10 combination that they almost finished was the "Amerika Weapon". Was meant to be flown by a pilot, guided by radio beacons. Had a 1 ton payload and 5000km range.

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I do my own analog schematics and netlists. But I farm out any digital stuff like SPI buses, and I have a chip layout contractor that I use regularly. ...Jim Thompson

There were a lot of ships hauling supplies to the US Army, US Navy and to supply the Lend-Lease program. If the Germans had made it to the Bearing Straits, it would have been easy enough to attack the military installations, or use those crude missiles to attack the troop's morale.

A lot of supplies were flown across the Bearing Straits by Russian pilots, in American built planes.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What idiot said that?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

to hit

An 80 km altitude is more than enough for intercontinental range and the A4 airframe was the basis for earlier missiles that /were/ intercontinental. So the assertion that the V2 had intercontinental capability is true, just a little more invention was needed.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Wiki says more like 1200 km altitude.

Depends on which continents you pick, I suppose.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hindsight is 20/20 BUT it was within their means to develop lethal surface- to-air missile technology using more conventional search and track radars i n combination with simplified target illumination directors enabling simple terminal homing guidance for the missiles with relatively small convention al explosive fragmentation warheads. They could have wiped out the combined British and American air forces if they tried to bomb the continent. Bombe rs back then had mountainous radar cross-sections, were slow moving, and st ruggled to operate at altitude. SAMs would have brought the war to a stands till, that is if you believe air power played a significant role in winning the war, which it most certainly did.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Guess you lack the wherewithal to figure out if that number is dictated by physics or tactical operational necessity...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred