OT: Drawings of the 1942 German V2 Rocket

That was the first intercontinental ballistic missile, except for ballistic. ;)

There was one that landed someplace like the Santa Cruz Mountains that killed a group of children on a Sunday school picnic, along with the minister's wife.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[...]

I wish web conferencing services would understand that. I have yet to see one with a nice interactive on-screen whiteboard where all participants have drawing access all the time. With our start-up we use GoToMeeting, they have a (way too crude) sketch set but only one person at a time can use it and only the host can hand over presenter privileges. I am usually the host but just the hand-over alone takes too long.

Or is it just engineers who think that way and we are too small a market?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I can create a "special" part in under 5 minutes.

LTspice is neat, AND FREE, but its GUI is obtuse. I'll throw down a challenge... hand me a hand-drawn schematic and I'll enter it into PSpice at least twice as fast as you can enter it into LTspice.

That's the kind I saw, a "scanner" moved across and recorded the whole thing. IIRC it was in some patent attorney's office. ...Jim Thompson

The progress in radar and proximity fuzes was amazing.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

We fight over the whiteboard markers already!

Speaking of which, I usually pack my own when I visit C**** or A****** or P****&W******. Theirs are usually dried out or just missing.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

nd

Yes, it seems that way. But a lot of resources was put into these war advan ces. The V2 project was actually bigger than the Manhatten project (Atomic bomb). A bomb is just a bomb (he he), the V2 was radio beam controlled, had all sorts of control mechanisms including analog computers and doppler sys tem for cut of control.

To do that in 1942 is amazing and it was huge

The US rocket program would not have happened the same way without the germ an scientists. It was even a V2 rocket that took the first picture of earth in orbit. The US quickly seized almost all the V2 rockets (and parts) and brought it to the states leaving the UK and Russia with the pieces

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

nd

A lot of cool stuff. Radar probably changed the war, but in general war is good for if nothing else to push technology forward

As a Dane, I am embarrassed about the policy of the Danish government, turn ing the other cheek and only resisting when the war obviously would turn ou t for victory for the allied coalition. At least we had some good guys, Nie ls Bohr is one of them that was working on the Manhattan project as one of the top scientist.

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

rote:

snip

ances. The V2 project was actually bigger than the Manhatten project (Atomi c bomb). A bomb is just a bomb (he he), the V2 was radio beam controlled, h ad all sorts of control mechanisms including analog computers and doppler s ystem for cut of control.

rman scientists. It was even a V2 rocket that took the first picture of ear th in orbit. The US quickly seized almost all the V2 rockets (and parts) an d brought it to the states leaving the UK and Russia with the pieces

yes it was a huge project, even with todays advanced tech available to everyone as far as I know no amateurs (or very very few) have managed to get a rocket into space that says something

but imagine being told: design a tank build a factory and make me 40,000 and then manage to do it in a few years

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The V2 was intercontinental, they could have thrown it into a trajectory to hit North America if they wanted, according to Aberdeen.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Back then bomber CEP sucked to high heaven, and radar controlled AA was coming into its own so V2 was a way way better.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

America was technologically backward at the time, it was good at brute force automotive and machine industry stuff, but as for anything cutting edge scientific it was a joke.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

dvances. The V2 project was actually bigger than the Manhatten project (Ato mic bomb). A bomb is just a bomb (he he), the V2 was radio beam controlled, had all sorts of control mechanisms including analog computers and doppler system for cut of control.

german scientists. It was even a V2 rocket that took the first picture of e arth in orbit. The US quickly seized almost all the V2 rockets (and parts) and brought it to the states leaving the UK and Russia with the pieces

Certainly a daunting task. Just keeping track of progress and coordinating all the sub assemblies must have been a task for a project manager with ext raordinary insight. As I read some of the pages on the Museum pages, it is however apparent that some of the items went through a lot of revisions, bu t who haven't tried that? :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

rote:

and

de a

in

s good for if nothing else to push technology forward

rning the other cheek and only resisting when the war obviously would turn out for victory for the allied coalition. At least we had some good guys, N iels Bohr is one of them that was working on the Manhattan project as one o f the top scientist.

It was just realism, the outcome wouldn't have been different had they resisted, just more dead soldiers and more destruction, much much bigger co untries were run over

luckily we had some the brave men and women that earned us a seat on the winning side when it was all over

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah. In the beginning of the war the US play hide and seek and had for example horses to move the artillery.

Meanwhile, the Germans was performing blitz krieg, highly mobilized units and revolutionized warfare much as Napoleon had done many years before.

Cheers

KLaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Not horses, Missouri mules.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Remember the old saying: "Never draw more in the morning than you can erase in the afternoon."?

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
Reply to

Not interested in your crap propaganda. The FACTUAL history was that the De pt of War at the time was an even bigger and more incompetent cesspool than it is today. Another less publicized FACT is that the US was rife with spi es and saboteurs, and the black market in rationed goods comprised a full 2

5% of the economy.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

And the press was told to shut up about it so the Japanese would think none of the balloon bombs reached North America, and the press complied (!) and the program was cancelled.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

At least you write good.

8-]