OT: browser hostile sites

If you need to see M$IE-specific pages under Linux: The summary at the top gives the basics.

2 apt comments:
JeffM

innews:eU3Hh.9493$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Sorry. There' no IE on my system.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my pants!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

firefox (or iceweasel) is netscape/mozilla without email, seamonkey (or iceape) is netscape/mozilla with email.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

A distant possibility. When I have a problem with a Web page, I run it thru the Validator.

Never yet seen a misbehaving page pass. The problem of pages not rendering is almost always

**some idiot creat>>That is exactly why i call the sites "browser hostile";

I don't think Yanik understands who set the standards for the Web

or Micros~1's modus operendi http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:w100CwTtO_MJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish+United.States.v.Microsoft.antitrust.trial+*-*-*-Department-of-Justice+*-competitors-that-do-not-*-*-support-Microsoft's.extensions+*.describe.Microsoft's.strategy+*-goal-*-*-*-*-to-monopolize-a-*-category+features-not-*-*-*-*-*-*-part-of-the-standard

jasen wrote:

As a simple explanation, yes. As a minimum, the SeaMonkey suite installs a browser and an HTML editor. Other options include email/newsgroups, a chat client, a spellchecker, a JavaScript debugger, and a DOM Inspector.

It should be noted that Netscape isn't really Netscape any more. It has used the Gecko rendering engine for some time now. http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:VTxBReau_iMJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko_(layout_engine)+Gecko+Netscape+SeaMonkey+Firefox+Galeon+K-meleon+Kazehakase+Epiphany+Camino+Flock+IceWeasel

Reply to
JeffM

I found Firefox, and the ads on the site imply that a lot of add-ons and customizationis possible. Also, Thunderbird is an "add-on" that takes care of the e-mail and NG problem. But they do not want to communicate; i need to get a CD with all of that stuff on it and they totally ignred my query. So much for support (none).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yup. Recommend you start with AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock (tiny downloads).

Nope. It is a separate program. As I stated earlier, if you use FF + TB there is a lot of code duplication. I recommend SeaMonkey.

Yup--if you can stand the larger memory footprint.

The Mozilla Foundation works on a shoestring. OTOH, the org that produces Ubuntu http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:owXjTgqVq4QJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth+Self-Appointed.Benevolent.Dictator.for.Life+funding.the.development+10.million.dollars offers this: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:tOiYEJHkZXwJ:

Say that when you see how fast they patch security holes (which won't do you much good if you won't commit the bandwidth to updating). I would think between bedtime and sunrise you could download a lot--even on 56k.

Reply to
JeffM

Robert Baer wrote in news:tHMIh.126221$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

download it and burn to a CD or DVD. I couldn't get the newest version of FF to install on my system,1.0 installed fine.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If it is more than a few megs, it essentially is inaccessable and thus unuseable; virtual equivalent to non-existant.

Reply to
Robert Baer

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:owXjTgqVq4QJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth+Self-Appointed.Benevolent.Dictator.for.Life+funding.the.development+10.million.dollars

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:tOiYEJHkZXwJ:

Thanks for that TheOpenCD reference. But i am extremely puzzled and confused. First they talk about "..OpenCD 07.02, which is now ready for download and purchase", then they say "OpenCD 4.0 released" with no numbers inbetween. What gives?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have been aware of the project for several years but I haven't followed their progress, so I can't provide details.

The 7x release seems VERY recent as other pages haven't been updated to correlate.

This

led eventually to this
Maybe someone there can answer.

Reply to
JeffM

Robert Baer wrote in news:Eb5Jh.11801$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have dialup(48K connx),and I was able to download it. It took ~30 minutes,IIRC.Maybe more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That info was on the same web "page"...

Reply to
Robert Baer

If i had tried it, i would have been damn lucky to get it in one pass, assuming i did not get pissed off after the third abort... And do not say anything about so-called download managers; they positively do not work for me and are less than useless.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you are talking about the "download manager" that comes with Gecko, "so-called" certainly applies. Being able to RESUME a broken download is the mark of a Download Manager and Gecko's native download utility does NOT support this.

I have an ancient copy of GetRight which is my primary D/L mgr. It is quite intuitive and very powerful with just a few quirks about recent browser versions. I find that when a deeply nested download script won't give me the file by clicking it, dragging and dropping the link onto an open GetRight window usually will.

When that won't work, I use Free Download Manager successfully for those heavily-scripted links done by anal webmasters.

The verbiage used in the dialog boxes and menus can be a bit confusing (it is obvious that the developer's primary language is not English) but after you grasp his patois and set up your defaults, it Just Works(tm).

Until you do get one working, with a slow connection you will be spinning your wheels A LOT.

Reply to
JeffM