OT: browser hostile sites

If you are talking about the online dictionary, then i would put that site into the browser hostile category, and loudly complain to them.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thank you for the eloquent discussion *against* IE; i (almost) never use IE for those reasons, even tho i have not been "bit" with malware via IE. I keep an offline *backup* (exact copy on another HD) for Mister Justin Case. One (earlier) case of a browser hostile site was checked and IE indeed rendered the site "correctly"; the site owner claimed their code was "universal". The only other times i used IE was to check compatibility of HTML code i wrote..*after* validation "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" as i found that there was one HTML "command" that W3C does not support but (apparently) all other browsers do support.

Reply to
Robert Baer

------- SNIPped for brevity -------

** I had no problems in transferring from a 20Gbyte HD to a 120HD HD; i have Win98SE, a DOS partition, and extended partition and a Win2K partition. Mind you, for the Win96SE and (bootable) DOS partitions to work properly, they must reside below that 1024 cylinder boundary. So i could not make those 3 partitions as large as i really wanted.
** A HD in a slot? Am i mis-interpreting something?

** That is fine, but remember, the drive letters for the old HD will be different *if* the new drive is not set up for NTFS (one or more partitions). Furthermore, make sure no partitions, if FAT32, are not larger than 32769 megs. Win2K will not recognize their drive letters or data (Win98Se has no such problems).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Ahhh...that is because you asked for FAT16. It has been too many years since i setup Win98Se from scratch; if you can choose FAT32, then do so but make sure that you keep its size (and all bootable DOS partitions "above" it) below the 1024 cylinder limit

*IF* you intend to then install Win2K in the "next" partition (you will get a menu to choose OS).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Does Oera (now) support NG accounts and (hopefully) e-mail accounts?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sorry about that BS barrier; that is an "automatic" thingie from OithRink. I will get to see whatever message you posted in the "suspect" inbox.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Tell that to my 120Gbyte HD...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I agree that is very strange; may have something to do with the BIOS/motherboard configuration (busmaster VS "slave" daughterboards???).

Reply to
Robert Baer

...and M$ didn't bork your MBR when it wasn't the 1st OS installed?

Reply to
JeffM

I do not know about Win98SE, but a "clean" re-install of Win2K and WinXP is possible and some cases necessary. All installed programs are kept if one selects the "repair" option (as compared to the "fresh copy" option). Otherwise, the "fresh copy" option seems to act like the HD was empty. In either case, the user sees the same install screens, the same "gimmie key", etc; only the results are different.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Although...that's NTFS behind a (free, read-only :( ) driver.

Tim

Tim Williams

Robert Baer wrote in news:PIjHh.9732$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

When I switch HDs back to my 10G HD[HD-A],then the system doesn't recognize the modem in the new PCI slot. I'm just swapping the cables from HD-A to HD-B.

'Old'10G HD [HD-A]system recognizes the modem in the original PCI slot,then I switch HD to new 100G drive[HD-B](clean new load of W98 opsys);no modem recognition.Move modem to next PCI slot;recognition,then swap old HD-A back in instead of HD-B;no modem recognition again,until I put the modem into the original PCI slot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If you are having trouble with drives >80G, you need a BIOS update. Any FDISK and FORMAT command from a WIN98SE bootable CD (not sure if it has to be SE, but I know that SE works). When you run FDISK, it _looks_ like it's screwing it all up when you see that junk it reports for the disk size, but that's just an output problem. It correctly builds the partition and FORMAT does it's thing just fine too.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

And hopefully, they'll be losing business. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately ;-) ), they'll never know.

"You must use MICRO$~1 crap to view this website"

"OK, bye."

Then again, I use Konqueror, which blocks popups, and that hosts file, that blocks out all of the crapware scum.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's when it's running on a MICRO$~1 platform, right?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You didn't ask, but I'd recommend that you make your 10G your "system" drive, (with only executables) and the 100G just data, which you can arrange any way you want to. You might have to make some adjustment in the BIOS, for the bid drive, but at least W95/98 should still install.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Works fine here too. On Win2000 machine.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Too bad you were unable to get that e-mail thru to me; worse that you were unable to stick something deep and sharp into Earthlink.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Your message apparently did not get posted.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Might depend on what version of WinDoze he installed,as what options he used. Win2K allows one to pick the partition for installation, so one can leave previously installed installations (and partitions) alone *if* there is at least one partition available (as well as space for it).

Reply to
Robert Baer