OT: browser hostile sites

That *IS* a hair-puller with no obvious solution. Is it possible to (at least) e-mail customer support for that motherboard? Just for grins (you may have already done this, but it might be a good idea to do anyway), very carefully check all pages in the BIOS to see if there are any clues / anything that might affect either the HD configuations (boot order, DMA, SMART, etc) and/or the PCH slots.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It wold be *very* nice to be able to use any OS other than those from M$, but..i have a number of apps that only run in an M$ OS and there is no decent equivalent (or none at all). And some of the existing equivalents do not seem to be able to render documents in a way that the looks are decently similar. Some things that would be replaced, if possible: Word, Excel (only i want the capabilities that the DOS version of Quatro had - namely two variables on one graph as well as annotation capabilities), Corel Draw (version 5 or 9), a browser with NG and e-mail account capability, a PCB prog like WinBoard from Ivex (have made a number of custom layouts). Those are off the top of my head. And the programs *must* be available via snail mail CD, as i am on dial-up; anything over 5Megs becomes a nightmare. Upgrade support must also be available the same way unless the upgrade files / system consists of files 1meg or less.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That is an excellent idea; i second the emotion.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I gave up and just let M$ have the MBR. I now take some pleasure in making XP's bootloader boot Linux for me.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

^^^ s/bid/big/ :-)

Thanks! It works for me. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, for email, there's Eudora Lite, which is free:

I don't need another newsreader - I use either pan or Knode. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks for the info. I looked at Firefox and found a "companion" program Thunderbird that fulfills the NG and e-mail problem. And, if the hype given is mostly correct, it seems i can add on any particular funcionality i want - *and* NOT do so for crap i do not want. In short, it looks like it is not a big pig full of sh*t like IE (too bad that we are not all Jewish or Muslim so that those pigs would starve).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't know, I use Opera for browsing, Free Agent for NGs and Pegasus Mail for email. I find they all work perfectly that way.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Thats really bad advise. While it is possible with some fiddling and a new version of FDISK to get windows 98 to create and mount a filesystem on a 200GB disk, as soon as windows trys to store some data past the 137GB severe filesystem corruption results. You don't necessarily have to put 137GB of data on the disk to cause corruption either, win98 partitons tended to get rarther fragmented with files all over the disk and the swapfile gets increased in size it usually uses space towards the end of the disk where it can puts in one contiguous block instead of broken up across the disk like normal files.

It's possible to get a large harddrive to work for a while in win98 by using a 48bit LBA controller with a suitable driver such as a rocket 100. Win98 can access the data past 137GB ok in that situation but windows tools such as scandisk still don't work properly and will destroy the contents of the drive.

Consider how often win98 crashes disabling scandisk at startup just results in problems with crosslinked files and drive corruption anyway.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

innews:eU3Hh.9493$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Mozilla Thunderbird does both (and not coincidentally integrates well with Firefox). ;>)

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Sure enough, I hadn't run across that before. I don't think I ever used a drive _bigger_ than 120GB with WIN98, but I know that I've used 120's before without issue. Unless I'm reading this wrong, FDISK won't let you create a partition larger than 137GB:

Anthony Fremont

You should use the companion product "Thunderbird" for email and usenet news.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I do understand, i am weening myself off of M$ products.

Sometimes finding them is the hard part.

Marginal replacements exist, exactly what aspects do you need duplicated?

A couple options here also, just what capabilities do you really need?

Not really sure, there are plenty of draw products in linux.

These are separate programs in the linux world.

I do not know the capabilities of WinBoard, there may not be a usable equivalent even in gEDA/GAF.

Most of this is available on the distribution CD/DVD set for most distributions. These may well be available off the shelf at your local computer store.

They usually are around 200K to 5M in size, some larger.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I have win98 running with up to 40 GB partitions (on 120 GB drives).

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

has embedded java, possibly dodgy java, you could try upgrading the java plugin, or getting one from a differen provider.

datak.net seems harmless in mozilla 1.5

I have more trouble with flash video.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Late at night, by candle light, "Anthony Fremont" penned this immortal opus:

It's a BIOS limitation. Some BIOSes have limits on 2, 4 and 16 GB and some other values which I can't recall ATM. Windows trusts blindly what the BIOS tells it and so ends up accepting that as the max. The solution is to install the OnTrack utility which makes the whole drive size available, BTDT. Interestingly, Linux and *BSD seem to ignore what the BIOS tells them and go find out for themselves and usually get it right.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

As they haven't done a lot of optimizing yet, redundant code makes the memory footprint of Thunderbird+Firefox larger than that of the SeaMonkey suite.

(Ever hear of "trimming"?)

Reply to
JeffM

Jeez. Doesn't ANYBODY trim?

e.g.

M$ keeps moving the goal line. Even M$'s own stuff isn't backwards-compatible with "itself". OOo has a reputation for being able to open Office documents which M$O thinks are too broken to open.

OpenOffic.org (Calc)? A guy even has VBA working on OOo. http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:G6vZhKnP8msJ:

*-*-*-large-portion-*-*-*-*-*+Noel+VBA+Windows+not.complete+qq+Visual-Basic-for-Applications&strip=1

*.Knoppix-like.CD.with+gEDA+Quantian+aren't-mentioned+zz-zz+*-distro-*-*-providing-open-source-scientific-and-engineering-apps+qq+Dirk+included.apps+on-it+VERY.COOL+uu+Make-that-*-* You don't even have to *install* anything to give it a try.

Reply to
JeffM

How does Seamonkey cope with IE-optimized pages?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

The same way it deals with all other non-standards-compliant trash

--the best it can.

OTOH http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:nB6FSkpeyE0J:

*-*-*-*-*+easily.see.how.your.webpage.displayed.in.IE.with.just.one.click+IE.Tab

Reply to
JeffM