OT bricks

This is a new, almost finished, apartment building at 18th and Florida, near work.

This is shocking. Those are actual bricks, with patterns and doodads. The structure isn't even visible! It's hidden inside!

Some architect is going lose his license for designing a not-ugly-enough building.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Looks like an old mill/warehouse.

In Rhode Island you can just get a luxury condo or apartment in a genuine old mill/warehouse.

Reply to
bitrex

There's still an operating foundry next door, they have an event each Halloween with beer and food stands and rivers of molten metal, big vats of glowing iron and hand-crafted metal dinosaurs spitting sparks and molten iron onto other metal dinosaurs.

Reply to
bitrex

Your local standards must be pretty strict. It'd certainly pass for ugly round here.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They haven't put the Starbucks sign up yet on the first floor

Reply to
bitrex

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

That looks like it fell out of a cubical cow.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It does distract from the hideous apartment buildings. A picture can't do that building justice. You have to be there to appreciate the horror at all scales. And it's full of Federal employees inside.

I thought that new brick building was nice, and it fits into the neighborhood. Do I dare hope that Modern Architecture is over?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

That's a more or less neutral aesthetic as far as architecture goes. Not qu ite what could be called brutal but close.

Have you seen it up close? If the so-called brick pattern and jointing is t oo perfectly uniform, it's probably not brick. The industry does an excelle nt job of making concrete panels look very much like brick, right down to t he surface texture, 3D jointing and coloration. From a materials engineerin g perspective, they are superior to brick: much, much stronger, totally imp ervious to moisture penetration, much stronger shear wall to withstand an e arthquake beating (unless it's that cast-in-place tilt-up in which case you need to get out of the building post haste). Then construction is much che aper what with craning in huge expanses in one fell swoop instead of all th e scaffolding and laborers sloppily mudding in one little brick at a time.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Trump wants to knock down all that kind of crap. They go too far when they use taxpayer dollars to build garbage like that.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

=1

They must be talking about that building:

"The US federal building in San Francisco (2007), the US courthouse in Aust in, Texas, (2012) and the Wilkie D Ferguson Jr US courthouse in Miami (2007 ) are reportedly cited as having ?little aesthetic appeal?. "

utiful-classical-order

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That statement shows remarkable restraint.

google ugliest buildings in the usa

It's time we got past ugly buildings and start designing nice stuff again. If nobody remembers how, copy the old ones.

San Francisco needs some nice new Victorians.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Boston City Hall, built with public funds - it confounds Der Volk!

Clarendon condos, built with private equity, once property values are high enough you can really slap up anything and people will buy it:

Reply to
bitrex

guess that should be "das Volk"

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, I took that pic yesterday. It has texture and patterns and doodads in the bricks, as do the old industrial buildings in the neighborhood. Looks like real bricks to me.

But if it looks like bricks, that's OK.

This was a nice old industrial building a few blocks away, until it got architected. We toured it when we needed to move, and it's as ugly inside as out.

Pure, criminal vandalism.

I wanted the classic thing on the left, but some rich musician got it as a studio.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

w=1

.

Austin, Texas, (2012) and the Wilkie D Ferguson Jr US courthouse in Miami (

2007) are reportedly cited as having ?little aesthetic appeal? ?."

Those look like throwbacks to the Stalin era architecture.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Did it look like this, before:

Fixing up those structures after 100 years of neglect so they look historical outside but are up-to-code and air-tight enough to keep heating and cooling costs down, costs a shit-load of money

Reply to
bitrex

"Brutalism" was a design fad many places world-wide in the 70s. like bell-bottoms and other questionable decisions.

There's a good number of this "style" in New England, with the New England weather and lowest-bidder contracting the joke is they started crumbling and getting re-bar rust streaks on the exterior before they were finished.

New England Aquarium was built around the same time in the same style:

And then they piled shit on over the years:

Too many cooks spoiled this broth

Reply to
bitrex

UMass Dartmouth:

Reply to
bitrex

Same idea but not as pretty. It was wood, not brick. The brushed stainless horror was claimed to be grafitti resistant, and it's not. It also gets too hot to touch in the afternoon sun. And it's ugly.

Architecture is the true dismal science. The ugliest house on our block is owned by an architect. Well, maybe 2nd ugliest. See street view for the 100 block of Arbor Street.

I think people lost money on the stainless thing.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin